LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 01-16-2018, 01:21 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Toro 521 pulley and shaft replacement

It appears that I need to replace the main shaft and pulley coming directly from the engine. I have a lot of play in the pulley for the drive belt and it is now causing it to stop throwing snow at times when it moves around. I was first alarmed from this because of the horrible noise it was making. Is this a job that I could tackle on my own? I am an intermediate at repairing small engines but have never replace a main pulley and shaft before? The model number is a 38052 and i have a tecumseh model Hs50-67259f.. Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Shawn Thomas
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-16-2018, 01:36 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 196
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 250
The pulley would be easy to replace as long as it is not stuck.

The shaft coming out of the engine is part of the crankshaft so if you plan on replacing that you might as well just get a new engine.

Is the pulley loose on the shaft or is the shaft loose coming out of the engine? If the shaft coming out of the engine is loose I would think you would have lost all of your oil out of the front crankshaft seal. If the pulley is just loose on the shaft you might be able to cut an old piece of copper pipe or maybe a piece of flashing and create a shim to take the gap out of it.

Please direct all snow blower questions to the forums and not to me with PMs.
post #3 of 9 Old 01-16-2018, 01:54 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 72
Thanks (Received): 87
Likes (Given): 75
Likes (Received): 158
If the pulley is loose on the shaft you will have to check if the crank shaft is damaged by the pulley being loose and if there is a piece of keystoke that holds the pulley in place that it is still in the cut keyway and that the set screw is still there.

That is the first thing to find out. if that is the issue you need to remove the V belt(s) and check the condition of the crank shaft.

If the crank shaft is loose its major surgery if you do it yourself as it requires lots of tools and money for parts as you would will to replace every thing from the oil sump upward to the spark plug.
post #4 of 9 Old 01-16-2018, 02:00 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
We have a major storm coming tonight into tomorrow so I won't be taking it apart today, but thank you for the insite. I believe its just the pulley at this point, I have no oil leaking at all. Is it hard to get that pulley off and reinstall?
post #5 of 9 Old 01-16-2018, 02:02 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Awesome, thanks for the insight! I will check the key and wednesday or thursday and see if it has moved at all. I don't believe the crank is damaged at all, no oil leaking at all so far. I can just move the pulley up about a 1/4 inch. Is this pulley hard to remove and replace?
post #6 of 9 Old 01-16-2018, 03:06 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 72
Thanks (Received): 87
Likes (Given): 75
Likes (Received): 158
If it has set screws no, All you need to do is align the pulleys with a steel ruler if you have one and tighten the set screw really well with a standard allen wrench.

You should buy a small bottle of blue loctite and squirt it in the hole for now to get it in the right place to hold the set screw tight-do not buy the red loctite as you would need a torch to get the pulley off otherwise.

JUST be very sure the allen wrench is fully inserted into the set screw-you can do this by removing it and marking where the allen wrench stops in the set screw BUT you need to make sure it is clean and free of dirt before you do this by using some hydogen peroxide or isopropyl alcohol and a toothpick.

Last edited by leonz; 01-16-2018 at 03:06 PM. Reason: stuff/spelling and punctuation corrections
post #7 of 9 Old 01-16-2018, 05:03 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Is it possible that the friction wheel being worn out would cause this pulley to move all around? I didn't realize that the pulley is mounted to a moving arm like mechanism, which after doing some research is called the friction plate frame. After watching some videos, it appears this may be all of my problem. Just realized that I have no reverse anymore and that the pulley is tight still on the shaft. I believe I am going to try replacing this friction wheel and see if that takes care of it.
post #8 of 9 Old 01-16-2018, 05:09 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 12
Thanks (Received): 101
Likes (Given): 102
Likes (Received): 243
AH that would be the tensioning pulley, Not sure how to on a toro as I have not done one yet but replacement parts are easy to get and that isn't too hard to do.

Sno-Tek Modded, 15"X-Track tires (Now has same X-Track tires but 13"x4" for better fit), 254cc engine LED light and hand warmers.
Snapper 6/22 sold but not forgotten. Was my first.
Ariens ST1027LE workhorse and going strong.
New 2017 Ariens Deluxe completely rebuilt after losing a fight with a forklift.
post #9 of 9 Old 01-16-2018, 05:56 PM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 158
Likes (Given): 95
Likes (Received): 302
llllllkkiuygfdsdw

Last edited by jtclays; 03-13-2018 at 05:06 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page