LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 85 Old 01-17-2018, 06:34 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 9
Weld cog to wheel axle?

I have an Ariens 924044, where the wheel axle no longer gets driven by the attached cogwheel. The cogwheel is supposed to fit into tracks on the axle, but these (either on the cog or the axle, or both, have not dismantled it yet) are worn. I can get new ones, but these are rather pricy for such an old blower, and I now just want to sell it (because it is too big for where I live now), so I am thinking of welding the cogwheel to the axle instead. That would mean that it cannot be disassembled any more. At least not without an angle grinder... But are there any other disadvantages? The Ariens has a differential, which means I can only weld on one side of the cogwheel. I am guessing that will be more than strong enough though. Any thoughts??

Have attached a couple of pics. One is the bottom of the blower, with the intended weld spot inside the red circle. The other is how this is supposed to look dismantled (stole this pic from another thread in here) when tracks are not worn.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	freser3.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	296.6 KB
ID:	125986   Click image for larger version

Name:	freser1a.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	273.5 KB
ID:	125994  
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes psmc93 liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 85 Old 01-17-2018, 06:58 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 15
Likes (Received): 44
I have a feeling that those chains contributed, continually shaking and pounding the machine, instead of a smooth drive.

If it was me, I would repair it correctly, and then put on some Snow Hogs and get rid of those chains.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Kiss4aFrog liked this post
post #3 of 85 Old 01-17-2018, 07:02 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
You mean the chains on the wheels?? Those wheels are too slippery to use without them... And, like I wrote, I just want to fix this as quickly and cheaply as possible (i.e. I am not going to buy new wheels...), and am merely asking if welding it like described would negatively impact anything other than not being able to disassemble without an axle grinder later.
post #4 of 85 Old 01-17-2018, 07:34 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 15
Likes (Received): 44
If you want to jerry rig it and let someone else deal with it later, than by all means weld it and pass it on.

Of course those wheels are to slippery, there lawn tires, not snow tires like Snow Hogs, meant for snow.
post #5 of 85 Old 01-17-2018, 07:36 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 97
Thanks (Received): 80
Likes (Given): 81
Likes (Received): 397
So OP what you're really asking is if you can improperly repair this machine just enough so that it works, and then pass it on to some unsuspecting buyer.

No, you can't do that. Not without full disclosure anyhow... at least in my book.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Kiss4aFrog, TomHodge liked this post
post #6 of 85 Old 01-17-2018, 08:25 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
What's with the hostility guys? I am asking a rather simple (I thought...) technical question of the durability and practicability of a not quite according to spec repair. The blower is 40 years old. Getting the parts would probably cost me way more than the blower is worth after fixing it, if I can even get my hands on them. Since I am not located in the US, those parts are hard to come by. The parts alone will cost me close to $300, add shipping and customs to that, and it's way more than the entire blower is worth.

As for the wheels, it has had those wheels its entire 40 years lifetime, and have worked nicely the five or so years I have had it. Of course a newer blower with new design and new wheels will work better, but this is what is was equipped with (for snow, not for lawn, it's a snowblower, not a lawn mower...) from the factory in the late 70's. The blower, apart from this described wear, seems to be working fine, which in my mind tells me that the quality of this thing is rather good, and hopefully a "quick and dirty" repair is still going to last years or even decades, given that the welder does a nice job.

And since you are both assuming (without knowing me) that I will simply "pass it on to an unsuspecting buyer", I can only try to reassure you that I would never do that. If anything, I am too honest about the stuff I sell, telling people about every little blemish I know about. And I didn't ask about the ethical issue, I am asking if anybody know about any other practical/technical issues with doing what I am proposing. It seems pretty straight forward to me doing the fix, and like I said, the only major drawback I can see is that it (the right hand axle) cannot be fully disassembled without using an angle grinder. What I am asking is if this could impair the diff somehow, or that such a repair wouldn't be strong enough, or similar technical stuff. Can you please stay on topic?
post #7 of 85 Old 01-17-2018, 08:40 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 88
Thanks (Received): 174
Likes (Given): 68
Likes (Received): 406
Garage
Everybody on here wants to fix things right and put things back as original. No one minds jury rigging something if it's temporary or removable. However welding is permanent and if it does not work out, your screwed and no one wants to be responsible telling you to go ahead and do it. I agree with them. But you made a good point, the machine is old, the parts are expensive, and probably somewhere down the road you will sell the machine for parts when it's no longer viable as a snowblower. With that intention, it makes sense to go ahead and weld, use it, then when it's junk, put it up for sale. But don't mislead the buyer because no one removes the bottom cover before they buy a blower.

1986 Ariens ST522, 5hp, 22"
1995 Murray Craftsman 10hp, 29" w. 12" impeller
A 1983 Real John Deere 10hp, 32" w. 12" impeller, 16" auger, 20" high front, cast iron gear box, chains
Noma 9hp, 27" w. 12" impeller
Noma 5hp, 24" w. 12" impeller, 20" high front
Gravely Convertible, 12hp Kohler cast iron, 26" width, 600 lbs of cast iron & steel, 2 speed impeller, 4 ground speeds
Dynamark 8hp, 26", 12" impeller, for sale
Several other 5hp, 8hp, several 2 cycle, all for sale

Last edited by JLawrence08648; 01-17-2018 at 09:31 AM.
post #8 of 85 Old 01-17-2018, 09:06 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks. I know it's permanent... However, as it stands now, the machine is useless. With a (cheap) weld, it may be perfectly ok for years to come. It's the "may" I am interested about... Do I miss something in the workings of the diff when I think this is technically ok to do? Otherwhise I'll just sell it for parts I guess...
post #9 of 85 Old 01-17-2018, 10:25 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 35
Thanks (Received): 69
Likes (Given): 33
Likes (Received): 158
Garage
Sounds to me like the left wheel bearing is so BADLY WORN it's letting the differential SLIP, or the secondary gear reduction chain is worn and stretched allowing that gear to slip.

I've NEVER seen the axle ends strip at the differential connections, and only one differential fail internally.

There is always the first time for everything, but without pixx from the actual machine we are working on there is just speculations. Addey can you please post up actual pictures of what you think the problem is.
I'm sure we can get your machine up and running, but first we have to find out what is actually worn or broken to continue forward with advice for proper repair.

P.S. A location of where you are can also be helpful, a willing member that is near you can assist in the diagnosis and repair.

Ariens 24" 910962 7HP
Ariens 24" 924117 Modified Pro 342cc / 15.50 GT.. Currently Under Construction and testing trials commenced .......
Ariens 32" 924044 Modified Pro 342cc / 16.50 GT
Ariens / Troy Bilt 36" Frankenblower
post #10 of 85 Old 01-17-2018, 10:37 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 13
Thanks (Received): 7
Likes (Given): 28
Likes (Received): 16
My 2 cents, find a used same model snowblower with bad motor and scavenge the parts you need,or buy some used parts on ebay.
If you weld it,it may be permanent, then you want take it off to repair something else and you’re in trouble.
I’m sure someone here and close to you can come up with the parts needed.

Hope this helps

Also, reread your post, if you were in my area,I’d buy your 924044 , 10 hp 32”,
I love the old big ones,around here they are all gone to the scrap heep from people not wanting to repair,they just buy new.
I have had a few of them,they are great units.

Ariens 924116 10 hp 28
Ariens 924024 8 hp 32 now a 10 hp
Ariens 910008 7 hp 24

Last edited by Ian Ariens 924; 01-17-2018 at 10:56 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page