Small Engine Tachometer recommendations? - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 44 Old 01-17-2018, 04:58 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 20
Thanks (Received): 23
Likes (Given): 38
Likes (Received): 121
Question Small Engine Tachometer recommendations?

As I read through many posts on this board, I notice that quite often that more experienced members than myself, stress the importance of our machines revving at the right top speed, in order to insure proper throwing distance. Makes perfect sense of course.

Recently, I thought I'd grab a small engine tach, figuring that it would be useful for my other power equipment as well.

I can see there's a lot choices out there, but like anything else, there's probably some devices that are better than others in terms of accuracy. Just as is the case with other diagnostic tools (compression gauges, spark indicators, etc.) I'm sure there are some tachs out there that are pure junk. Much like an unreliable compression gauge, getting a substantially wrong reading of engine speed, and making adjustments accordingly, in my opinion is worse than not having any reading, and leaving well enough alone.....

Any recommendations about small engine tachs? Best type? Wireless, optical, inductive coupled?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

If you're looking for guarantees in life, buy yourself a toaster.
--- Clint Eastwood
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 Old 01-17-2018, 05:04 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 54
Thanks (Received): 62
Likes (Given): 50
Likes (Received): 148
i got an ebay tach/hour meter. it picks up the spark signal from the spark plug wire. induction.
it uses a lithium replaceble battery cr2450, works fine even in the cold. is it accurate? id say yes as it changes w/revs and at max throttle it reads at roughly 3600rpm, which is spec for a tecumseh 10hp flathead.

u can see it working in this vid of mine, its mounted temporarily and some electrical tape is covering the screen. i have since permanently mounted it to the control deck.

Bought a dead but now fixed 1980ish craftsman II 10/28....ITS ONE HEAVY BEAST

MY VIDS ON FIXIN HER UP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by vinnycom; 01-17-2018 at 05:07 PM.
post #3 of 44 Old 01-17-2018, 05:06 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 88
Thanks (Received): 174
Likes (Given): 68
Likes (Received): 406
Garage
I'm reviewing old posts on this right now. I did a search for "tach".

The Vibratach has been around for 40 years but I don't know the accuracy of it.

The point and shoot tachs require a mark on something spinning, flywheel, crankshaft, or crank pulley to measure the true engine rpms. Similar to a timing light used on cars. I believe the mark can be tape, paint, chalk, magic marker.

1986 Ariens ST522, 5hp, 22"
1995 Murray Craftsman 10hp, 29" w. 12" impeller
A 1983 Real John Deere 10hp, 32" w. 12" impeller, 16" auger, 20" high front, cast iron gear box, chains
Noma 9hp, 27" w. 12" impeller
Noma 5hp, 24" w. 12" impeller, 20" high front
Gravely Convertible, 12hp Kohler cast iron, 26" width, 600 lbs of cast iron & steel, 2 speed impeller, 4 ground speeds
Dynamark 8hp, 26", 12" impeller, for sale
Several other 5hp, 8hp, several 2 cycle, all for sale
post #4 of 44 Old 01-17-2018, 05:06 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 18
Thanks (Received): 7
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 8
Garage
I've only used cheap optical handheld type units, I use it for a lot of different RPM measurement needs with no problem. I don't know about the accuracy, but it's good enough for me.

1998 Honda HS621, 1990 Toro 521
post #5 of 44 Old 01-17-2018, 05:12 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 177
Thanks (Received): 156
Likes (Given): 1632
Likes (Received): 381
I keep a hardline tach/hourmeter mounted permanently on my keeper machines.

('72 Sears 3520)

('89 Toro 824)

('70 Allis-Chalmers Tracker-7)

('80 Toro 724)

('95 Ariens ST724) --> Sold

('71 Ariens 910965 SnoThro 524)
post #6 of 44 Old 01-17-2018, 06:33 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 43
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 43
I have a Sandec, pretty happy with it so far.

Ariens ST11528LE
Honda HS720
post #7 of 44 Old 01-17-2018, 06:54 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 3
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnycom View Post
i got an ebay tach/hour meter. it picks up the spark signal from the spark plug wire. induction.
it uses a lithium replaceble battery cr2450, works fine even in the cold. is it accurate? id say yes as it changes w/revs and at max throttle it reads at roughly 3600rpm, which is spec for a tecumseh 10hp flathead.

u can see it working in this vid of mine, its mounted temporarily and some electrical tape is covering the screen. i have since permanently mounted it to the control deck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xb52J9uapl8&t
Vinnycom, I use the same tach. You sure you can replace that battery? Mine looks completely sealed. Works well otherwise

Current machines:

2016 Toro PowerMax HD 928 OHXE
2004 Toro CCR 3650
2003 Toro CCR Powerlite 3.5 HP
post #8 of 44 Old 01-17-2018, 06:54 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 118
Thanks (Received): 277
Likes (Given): 358
Likes (Received): 631
I have several of the inductive type of tachometers/hour meters. Most of mine are the inexpensive ~$10 eBay ones. None of mine allow replacing the batteries that I know of, however. That would be a nice feature.

vinnycom, do you have a link to the one you bought?

I've bought 2 of these, for the machines where I wanted a slightly better unit. Hardline Products HR-8061-2. It works for 1- or 2-cylinder engines, up to 16,000 RPM. That may sound useless, but it allows checking chainsaw RPMs as well (some saws have suggested tuning the carb based on RPM with no load, typically >10,000 RPM):

I haven't seen signs of RPM inaccuracy in the ones that have allowed checking that (when used with my generators, where I can compare against the frequency shown on my Kill-A-Watt, for instance).

The optical type sound handy (nothing installed on the machine), but you need a clear view of something like the flywheel to use them. The inductive are very easy to install (just wrap the wire around the spark plug wire), and also permit monitoring RPM during use, as well as giving you an hour meter. The hour meter can be nice to get a sense of how much time you have on your oil, etc.

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Power Clear 221QR
Toro Power Curve 1800
post #9 of 44 Old 01-17-2018, 06:58 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 54
Thanks (Received): 62
Likes (Given): 50
Likes (Received): 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by ourkid2000 View Post
Vinnycom, I use the same tach. You sure you can replace that battery? Mine looks completely sealed. Works well otherwise
mine is replaceble, but there are ones that are not, it usually states so in the listing info. i bought a cr2450 only too find one already installed, but was missing the rubber gasket on the battery cover, so i just used gorilla black duct tape to cover up the battery cover area

Bought a dead but now fixed 1980ish craftsman II 10/28....ITS ONE HEAVY BEAST

MY VIDS ON FIXIN HER UP

Last edited by vinnycom; 01-17-2018 at 08:20 PM.
post #10 of 44 Old 01-17-2018, 07:04 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 84
Likes (Given): 20
Likes (Received): 205
With some prying, the bottom panel can be opened up, and the battery can then be replaced - even on the non-replaceable ones. I was successful with mine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page