post #1 of 4 Old 01-17-2018, 05:00 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 88
Thanks (Received): 174
Likes (Given): 68
Likes (Received): 406
Garage
Chain repair tool for links

I don't know how many of you are familiar with a chain repair tool to split the chain apart. They are about $15, even $10. Bicycle shops use them every day. It pushes the rivet out however if you are going to insert a new link or piece, you never want to push the rivet all the way out, only almost.

If you need to replace the chain, I'd buy one for the price, but if you don't want to buy, put your snowblower in your truck or trailer and head to the local bike shop, I'm sure they would help you out removing the rivet and installing the new chain's rivet.

I have two of these of different qualities. I've been using one for years fixing bicycles out of my home garage.

1986 Ariens ST522, 5hp, 22"
1995 Murray Craftsman 10hp, 29" w. 12" impeller
A 1983 Real John Deere 10hp, 32" w. 12" impeller, 16" auger, 20" high front, cast iron gear box, chains
Noma 9hp, 27" w. 12" impeller
Noma 5hp, 24" w. 12" impeller, 20" high front
Gravely Convertible, 12hp Kohler cast iron, 26" width, 600 lbs of cast iron & steel, 2 speed impeller, 4 ground speeds
Dynamark 8hp, 26", 12" impeller, for sale
Several other 5hp, 8hp, several 2 cycle, all for sale
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes jrom, classiccat liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-17-2018, 06:54 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 54
Thanks (Received): 62
Likes (Given): 50
Likes (Received): 148
lots of utubers using dremels to grind down rivets

Bought a dead but now fixed 1980ish craftsman II 10/28....ITS ONE HEAVY BEAST

MY VIDS ON FIXIN HER UP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 4 Old 01-17-2018, 06:58 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 118
Thanks (Received): 277
Likes (Given): 358
Likes (Received): 632
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnycom View Post
lots of utubers using dremels to grind down rivets
Sorry, I'm not getting it, what does that accomplish? If you grind the end of the pin off, you can split the chain, but it doesn't help you re-join the chain again. And you need a new pin, and way to install it.

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Power Clear 221QR
Toro Power Curve 1800
post #4 of 4 Old 01-17-2018, 08:32 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 16
Thanks (Received): 62
Likes (Given): 55
Likes (Received): 172
Yeah, a Dremel is a total no-go for repairing/rejoining chain. In some cases, you can use a master link (way, way, back we had an old Moto Mower blower that was all chains, loaded with them . . . ) but they are far more apt to fail than using a chain tool. The good news is that a decent chain tool is quite cheap ($10 bucks at Amazon for a basic one, good for occasional use) . . . basically a fancy C clamp . . .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page