LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 56 Old 01-18-2018, 09:09 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 4
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 8
Cub Cadet - seized or not?

So I have a Cub Cadet 530 SWE that has the 357cc 83 Series OHV Horizontal Shaft Engine.

Hereís the back story. I got the blower all ready for the winter, checked oil level, everything is good. Over the past 3 months Iíve gone out and started it about once a month, it sits in a heated garage.

Yesterday I went to start it and pushed the electric start and all it did was hum at me. No engine movement. So i checked my choke, gear, safety key, oil, etc... and like a dumby I pushed the button again and same thing, buzzed for 1-2 seconds and nothing. I then tried to pull start & it wouldnít budge. So i pulled the recoil assembly off (the housing with the rope) & tried to turn the flywheel and I canít even turn it 1 full rotation - see the video:
It sounds like the piston is hitting the head and thatís why it stops??
Iím clearly way over my head here, but this is where Iím at. Before I tear off the head and/or sump, this is what Iíve done:

1. Emptied all oil and took out spark plug.
2. I can feel a good puff of air out of the head when i spin the flywheel, but donít feel much vacuum when going the opposite way.
Would a stuck valve cause this problem?
3. I want to check the valves and make sure theyíre fine and gapped properly.
4. then i might as well take the head off since the valve cover is already off.
5. All else fails I take the whole sump apart.
Oh I also want to remove the electric starter first and make sure nothing is jamming the flywheel, Iíll do that next probably.

So Iím an average joe grease monkey but have never tore down a whole engine.
Does anyone have any tips on what might be causing this??? I just donít get how the flywheel can spin freely, the piston moves up and down properly but then just stops when it gets all the way to the bottom or all the way to the top.

Any advice is much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 56 Old 01-18-2018, 09:40 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 178
Thanks (Received): 158
Likes (Given): 1654
Likes (Received): 385
Welcome to SBF!

Pulling the valve cover sounds like a good 1st step to me. By your description (I can't listen to the video where I am currently), it sounds like the head is hitting a stuck valve... If that's the case, hopefully it's not bent.

(edit: I reread your post...you already have the valve cover off. you can unbolt the rockers and see if the valves move in/out.)

Valve stems can get sticky from carbon &/or varnish. Seafoam does a good job dissolving the gunk; I freed-up two of my neighbor's Honda (OHC) engines this summer.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
('72 Sears 3520)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
('89 Toro 824)

('70 Allis-Chalmers Tracker-7)

('80 Toro 724)

('95 Ariens ST724) --> Sold

('71 Ariens 910965 SnoThro 524)

Last edited by classiccat; 01-18-2018 at 09:45 AM.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes jonnied12 liked this post
post #3 of 56 Old 01-18-2018, 10:31 AM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Likes (Given): 95
Likes (Received): 302
8k56jk

Last edited by jtclays; 03-13-2018 at 06:03 PM.
Likes classiccat liked this post
post #4 of 56 Old 01-18-2018, 11:27 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 28
Thanks (Received): 16
Likes (Given): 157
Likes (Received): 38
I suspect a stuck valve or possibly a loose piston rod bolt that has backed all the way out of the threads.

Troy-Bilt Storm Tracker 2890
post #5 of 56 Old 01-18-2018, 11:33 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 21
Thanks (Received): 63
Likes (Given): 254
Likes (Received): 239
Put a wood dowel into the spark plug hole, see if it moves when you turn the engine by hand. IF it doesn't, it's a rod, if it does, it's a valve.

If you go to home depot to get a dowel, find someone that knows what one is. Last time I had to say to the guy "ya know a round piece of wood"......
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes vinnycom, jonnied12 liked this post
post #6 of 56 Old 01-18-2018, 11:42 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 56
Thanks (Received): 62
Likes (Given): 51
Likes (Received): 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsup View Post
Put a wood dowel into the spark plug hole, see if it moves when you turn the engine by hand. IF it doesn't, it's a rod, if it does, it's a valve.

If you go to home depot to get a dowel, find someone that knows what one is. Last time I had to say to the guy "ya know a round piece of wood"......
i asked for a lynch pin when i was at home depot, he looked at me as if i belonged to the white hoods club, sheash,

Bought a dead but now fixed 1980ish craftsman II 10/28....ITS ONE HEAVY BEAST

MY VIDS ON FIXIN HER UP

Likes jonnied12 liked this post
post #7 of 56 Old 01-18-2018, 11:57 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsup View Post

Funnnny, but true.

post #8 of 56 Old 01-18-2018, 12:01 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnycom View Post
i asked for a lynch pin when i was at home depot, he looked at me as if i belonged to the white hoods club, sheash,
Go to the auto parts store and ask for a vortex generator.
Old Air Force joke.

post #9 of 56 Old 01-18-2018, 12:02 PM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Likes (Given): 95
Likes (Received): 302
vbnuil

Last edited by jtclays; 03-13-2018 at 06:03 PM.
post #10 of 56 Old 01-18-2018, 12:09 PM

Post Thanks / Like
If it stops at the bottom and the top, I suspect something is loose in the bottom end.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page