LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 37 Old 01-20-2018, 06:17 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
New Craftsman won't run

So my dad bought a new 24 in. Craftsman snow blower about 4 months ago. He put gas in the machine at that time. Probably just regular gas with no additives. He has started the machine monthly. That's the only use it's had due to lack of snow. The problem is that now it won't run. If I use starting fluid it will start as soon as I stop squirting it dies. I'd rather not take the carb off if I don't have too. Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 Old 01-20-2018, 06:30 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 29
Thanks (Received): 2
Likes (Given): 53
Likes (Received): 3
This "might" work. Try draining the gas in the tank... put it in your car... Buy some NEW highest octane they have at your local gas station.

Fill the tank about 1/2 way with the new high test gas. add a good amount of Sea Foam... try re-starting the blower with the starter fluid...

If you can get it started run it a good long time!

In the future always use premium High Octane has in small engines with a good stabilizer that helps combat the ethanol.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes FullThrottle liked this post
post #3 of 37 Old 01-20-2018, 07:28 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 118
Thanks (Received): 277
Likes (Given): 358
Likes (Received): 633
Sound advice, though there are conflicting opinions about whether high-octane might actually be a little bit worse for low-compression engines like these.

But new gas, with stabilizer, at a minimum, is a good idea. Seafoam in the gas would also be good, if available.

Just to ask the simple stuff, if the machine has a fuel shutoff, is that open? I just wouldn't have expected it to have the carb clog up completely in the span of a month.

Will it continue to run if you start it with starting fluid, then turn the choke on? That should help try and draw in additional fuel. If it still won't run at all, then maybe it's getting almost nothing from the carb, vs not-quite-enough.

You could remove just the carburetor bowl, as a middle-ground approach, not as involved as removing the entire carb. Gas should come out, draining the tank, when the bowl is removed, so have a container under it. You could then spray some carb cleaner into what's accessible. And if no gas continues flowing, when the bowl is removed, then gas is not getting to the carb for some reason.

He should be using stabilizer in his gas, going forward, to help avoid these sorts of problems. And if there *is* a fuel shutoff, you can also close the fuel shutoff, and run the engine until it dies, to ensure that no gas just sits in the carb, degrading.

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Power Clear 221QR
Toro Power Curve 1800
post #4 of 37 Old 01-20-2018, 08:49 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Redoctobyr thanks for the suggestions.
There is no fuel shutoff, when I use the starting fluid it will only run as long as I'm spraying. I tried choke on and choke off. No love. I'll try some seafoam and see what that does. And as far as the gas, ya I told him to use nonethanol for here on out.
post #5 of 37 Old 01-20-2018, 09:10 PM

Post Thanks / Like
So it sounds like you're getting no/very-little fuel from the carb. Either the carb is very gummed up, or gas is not reaching it for some reason.

The "non-invasive" test is to remove the fuel line from the carburetor, and see if gas comes out. Hopefully it does. This tests the fuel line & filter.

The "somewhat-invasive" test is to remove the carb bowl, and see if gas keeps coming out. This also tests the needle valve. But it also gives an opportunity to spray components with carb cleaner.

Non-ethanol gas is good, if available. But even then, using stabilizer is still a cheap & good idea, though it's less critical than if you were using ethanol gas.

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Power Clear 221QR
Toro Power Curve 1800
Likes FullThrottle liked this post
post #6 of 37 Old 01-20-2018, 09:38 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
It definitely seems like it's not getting gas. I just find it hard to believe it would gum up the carb in such a short amount of time. Gas still smells fresh. I'll go tinker with it tomorrow and see what happens
post #7 of 37 Old 01-20-2018, 09:40 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 5
Likes (Given): 26
Likes (Received): 9
Could be the carb is just dried out and the membranes are stuck.... My neighbour's lawn mower does this every spring.....
I've found that a good way to get her running is to put in some new gas (drain the old).... Then fill a small spray bottle like one used for a sinus spray......(squeeze bottle)

Shoot the gas into the carb while trying to start it.... once it starts, use the choke and continue spraying in gas until it finally starts to suck gas from the tank....

I've used this method for yrs.... Works most of the time..! Good luck.....

If it don't work....pull carb and clean..

1987 Craftsman Mod.C950528108 10/28...Techumseh Engine....SOLD

2007 Honda HS1132...GX340 Honda (Neighbor's)

2018 YT624EJ Yamahoooo..!
post #8 of 37 Old 01-20-2018, 09:47 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 695
Thanks (Received): 187
Likes (Given): 1123
Likes (Received): 1127
Garage
just wondering if spraying starting fluid is a good idea. read somewhere that it burns so hot it could do some damage. other members......is that true?

i agree with taking bottom of bowl off or drain if so equipped to see if gas is filling bowl. if not , disconnect fuel line and see if that is clogged. you may be able to spray some carb cleaner up the fuel line with the straw.

seems very unusual problem for a new machine. first thought was if the fuel was ON but you said there was no shut off valve.

"It Feels Like Beer O'Clock "
post #9 of 37 Old 01-20-2018, 10:10 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
So I removed the carb drain screw and gas did come out. I guess the carb it getting gas. Interesting thought about the starting fluid possibly being a bad idea. My original thought was to add some fresh gas with seafoam then spray the starter fluid until it decided to run on its own. Anymore thoughts on the starter fluid?
post #10 of 37 Old 01-20-2018, 10:17 PM

Post Thanks / Like
If that screw is in the center of the carb bowl, that might also be the main jet. If you remove that, spray it with carb cleaner, and maybe run a small copper wire through all the holes, that might help it flow better. Using a single thin copper wire strand means it's less likely to damage the jet, or open the holes, vs using steel wire. But I've seen people talk about using the wire from a bread twist tie. Do it gently, regardless.

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Power Clear 221QR
Toro Power Curve 1800
Likes 3vanman liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page