LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 Old 01-20-2018, 11:50 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 7
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 16
Honda 1132 auger box repair question

I did a repair on the auger box of a Honda 1132. It was cracked between the lower gear box support bolts and the fan housing, about 8 inches across. I welded a piece of 16 gauge steel that goes from the fan housing up the auger box to about an inch below the top gear box support bracket holes, 12 inches wide.Now the gear box bracket doesn't line up. I cut the bracket apart and I am going to weld it back together after a little adjusting. My question is what would be the best way to get the gearbox back into it's happy place? Before I cut it apart, when I bolted the top bolts up, the bottom bolts were about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch forward of their original holes. This box was pretty beat up and my repair changed the profile a bit, not a big deal but I don't want to put the gear box or the shafts in too much of a bind. Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 01-21-2018, 10:49 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 480
Thanks (Received): 353
Likes (Given): 290
Likes (Received): 1167
Just thinking oot loud you might have warped the gear case. might be better off looking for a new 1. just my zombie eyed daydreaming thoughts on it.

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #3 of 22 Old 01-21-2018, 11:27 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
The gear case is fine. Only thing that changed is the auger box where I welded my repair on top, where the 4 bolts are for the gear box strut. I'm thinking just find a spot where the gear box is in a neutral position. I was wondering if anyone has ever adjusted this strut before i.e. cut it apart and reweld it?

Last edited by thefixer; 01-21-2018 at 11:33 AM.
post #4 of 22 Old 01-21-2018, 11:59 AM
JnC

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 58
Thanks (Received): 134
Likes (Given): 23
Likes (Received): 179
I had to read the paragraph a few times, nothing against you but a picture would have helped .

The terminology used to describe the situation was a bit different than what I am use to, by auger box I think you mean auger housing and by gearcase I think you mean auger gearbox.

So the auger housing cracked right between the impeller tunnel and the bottom two bolts for the auger gearbox support bracket.

That part of the housing has a slight curve to it and if you didnt roll the piece of steel that you welded then that could have pulled the housing off of its alignment. Also, all the heat from welding could have deformed the metal as well.

Do not cut the bracket and try to adjust it. Best thing to do would be to adjust the fixed part of the auger housing and see if you can bend it back into submission. If the holes are forced to line up on either end i.e. at the auger gearbox or at the upper part where the bracket meets the housing it would put unwanted pressure on the impeller which can cause premature bearing failure or worse have the impeller hit the inside of the auger housing, hope this helps.
post #5 of 22 Old 01-21-2018, 12:17 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 691
Thanks (Received): 184
Likes (Given): 1109
Likes (Received): 1117
Garage
i was talking to the head mechanic at the Honda dealership about this about a month ago. he does not like these gearbox brackets being used .

i thought they were a good improvement as they stabilized the gearbox but he claims they see more gearboxes being damaged because of these brackets. he said since the gearbox is "locked" into place there is no place for the shock to go except for the gearbox. without the bracket , a big shock will be disapated (sp?) by gearbox movement and the shock may take out a shear pin instead. ( or cause less damage )

by shock i mean when the augers encounter a big chunk of ice, wood, or something else that jams or shocks the augers and/or impeller. like in a modern car , they are meant to crumble up to lessen the shock waves. if something stops everything suddenly and the gearbox can not move , he claims the gearbox is more likely to be damaged compared to a lesser shock to it if it is free to move.

not sure about his theory but the way he explained it , it made some sense. He may know since he has worked on thousands of machines and said he has seen more gearboxes damaged that used the brackets than those without.

maybe other members will clarify this. you may be better off not using the bracket if things are a little off kilter rather than putting too much strain on the gearbox if stuff is not perfectly balanced. Maybe [email protected] will chime in with a professional take on it.

this is a very interesting question and look forward to hearing from some veterans about there experiences with gearboxes that are bracketed and those that are not.

"It Feels Like Beer O'Clock "
post #6 of 22 Old 01-21-2018, 12:18 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Ya I tried to describe what I've got going here, and I don't think I have enough post's to put up pics. Maybe I just can't figure it out. Either way, you are correct in your interpretation of my issue. The bracket has already been cut and I'm gonna have to make this work. As I said , the auger box where I had to repair it has changed shape a bit, it was a mess to begin with. I'm trying to make chicken salad out of chicken **** !!
post #7 of 22 Old 01-21-2018, 01:01 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefixer View Post
Ya I tried to describe what I've got going here, and I don't think I have enough post's to put up pics. Maybe I just can't figure it out. Either way, you are correct in your interpretation of my issue. The bracket has already been cut and I'm gonna have to make this work. As I said , the auger box where I had to repair it has changed shape a bit, it was a mess to begin with. I'm trying to make chicken salad out of chicken **** !!
you should be able to post pics maybe if you click "GO ADVANCED" and then go down the page and click MANAGE ATTACHMENTS"

pics would really help.

post #8 of 22 Old 01-21-2018, 01:02 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 103
Thanks (Received): 375
Likes (Given): 466
Likes (Received): 478
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangputeh View Post
i was talking to the head mechanic at the Honda dealership about this about a month ago. he does not like these gearbox brackets being used .

i thought they were a good improvement as they stabilized the gearbox but he claims they see more gearboxes being damaged because of these brackets. he said since the gearbox is "locked" into place there is no place for the shock to go except for the gearbox. without the bracket , a big shock will be disapated (sp?) by gearbox movement and the shock may take out a shear pin instead. ( or cause less damage )
I am no professional on this matter, but from my point of view the support bracket is indeed an improvement, as it keeps the augers centered (remember that this have only stub shafts with only one shear bolt, so it tends to pull the augers to one side).
The other improvement is that the bracket keeps the gearbox from rotating in the direction of the augers making it less pron of wearing or breaking in the event of the augers hitting a hard object).
The reason why he may have seen more broken gearboxes with the support might be because there are considerably more units with the support bracket out there that will get serviced by the dealer, the older the snowblower gets, the less it'll go to the dealer and the older units are the ones that do not have the support bracket.

But this is my opinion alone.....
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks orangputeh thanked for this post
post #9 of 22 Old 01-21-2018, 01:42 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 342
Thanks (Received): 106
Likes (Given): 1036
Likes (Received): 177
It looks like Honda added the bracket first to the HS828 K1 B (tracked and wheel) about 1994 or 1995. After that, the HS828s and all HS928s have the bracket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YSHSfan View Post
...The reason why he may have seen more broken gearboxes with the support might be because there are considerably more units with the support bracket out there that will get serviced by the dealer, the older the snowblower gets, the less it'll go to the dealer and the older units are the ones that do not have the support bracket...

Honda HS828TAS (1991) Made in Japan with Thai built GX240
Honda HSS1332ATD (Late-2015) Made in USA with Thai built GX390

180" to a rare 350" of snow per year (Alberta Clippers & Lake Michigan), 644' gravel driveway, 2 vehicle parking areas, 500' of trails around small house with an unheated garage.
post #10 of 22 Old 01-21-2018, 04:58 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
i believe the bracket was an improvement also. was just pointing out what a Honda mechanic was telling me.

the point being. can the OP run this big 1132 without the bracket if he can't get everything straightened out?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page