LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 01-24-2018, 12:08 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Too much oil. Please help

So I picked up a almost new snowblower. Quickly checked oil. And plugged in for Electric start. Started right up and smoked like crazy and blew oil out muffler and shut off. Then I realized previous owner filled oil to the top. I got oil to correct level, and will not turn over. Now it won't turn over. I'm wondering is the thing shot. Any tips would be helpfull
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0120181622_1516770410445.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	127809  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 01-24-2018, 12:13 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 56
Thanks (Received): 62
Likes (Given): 51
Likes (Received): 148
clean the spark plug and maybe the carb as oil could of gotten everywhere. engine should be fine once start and burns off excess oil from combustion chamber

Bought a dead but now fixed 1980ish craftsman II 10/28....ITS ONE HEAVY BEAST

MY VIDS ON FIXIN HER UP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by vinnycom; 01-24-2018 at 12:18 AM.
post #3 of 11 Old 01-24-2018, 12:16 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 50
Likes (Given): 57
Likes (Received): 170
ya i agree with Vinny. there could still be oil in the cylinder causing the cylinder to hydro lock if enough oil got into the cylinder. pull the spark plug and then try turning the engine over slowly. you may possibly want to have a rag around just in case oil come out of the cylinder.

arien 520 snow blower 6.5hp swap
yardworks 31AH6WKF515
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 3 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks RedOctobyr thanked for this post
Likes Jatoxico, Kiss4aFrog, RedOctobyr liked this post
post #4 of 11 Old 01-24-2018, 07:11 AM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 510
Thanks (Received): 681
Likes (Given): 3844
Likes (Received): 1479
Garage
to SBF Frank

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
post #5 of 11 Old 01-24-2018, 11:04 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 480
Thanks (Received): 349
Likes (Given): 290
Likes (Received): 1145
ALOHA from the Paradise City.

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #6 of 11 Old 01-24-2018, 11:15 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 118
Thanks (Received): 277
Likes (Given): 358
Likes (Received): 633
When you say shut off, did it stop on its own, or did you shut it down?

Hopefully it just had a bunch of oil in the cylinder, which you can remove by removing the spark plug, and pulling the cord. Though that may spray an oily mess, so be prepared.

It is possible that it locked up so hard while running that it could have damaged the engine internals. But remove the spark plug first, to purge any oil, and see if you can pull the cord with the plug removed. If so, and you clean the plug, hopefully it will start after that.

Does the oil smell like gas? Another way to get over-filled "oil" is from a carburetor leak that allows gas to leak down into the oil. Making the oil level rise, due to the gas contamination. Oil with gas mixed in does not lubricate as well. So if the oil smells like gas, you need to change it before trying to start it again. And we'd also have to resole whatever is causing the leak.

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Power Clear 221QR
Toro Power Curve 1800

Last edited by RedOctobyr; 01-24-2018 at 07:23 PM.
post #7 of 11 Old 01-24-2018, 11:32 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOctobyr View Post
When you say shut off, did it stop on its own, it did you shut it down?

Hopefully it just had a bunch of oil in the cylinder, which you can remove by removing the spark plug, and pulling the cord. Though that may spray an oily mess, so be prepared.

It is possible that it locked up so hard whole running that it could have damaged the engine internals. But remove the spark plug first, to purge any oil, and see if you can pull the cord with the plug removed. If so, and you clean the plug, hopefully it will start after that.

Does the oil smell like gas? Another way to get over-filled "oil" is from a carburetor leak that allows gas to leak down into the oil. Making the oil level rise, due to the gas contamination. Oil with gas mixed in does not lubricate as well. So if the oil smells like gas, you need to change it before trying to start it again. And we'd also have to resole whatever is causing the leak.
To further reinforce this, I had a craftsman blower that I picked up on the cheap which was doing exactly what RedOctobyr describes. Found the needle was stuck which overfills the floatbowl and causes the carb to leak gas into the engine which then leaks past the piston rings and contaminates the oil while also raising the oil level. My fix was to completely disassemble the carb and clean thoroughly. You can also install a shutoff valve in the feed line to prevent fuel from filling the bowl altogether while not using the blower. Plenty of damage can be caused by an overfilled crankcase especially if the engine hyrdo locks.

Fuel contaminated oil will cause engine wear and/or failure. It's extremely important to drain that oil completely. I recommend a complete oil drain and fill with fresh oil as well as to clean the spark plug. I'd also be using the pull cord to start the engine that way you can get a feel for any excessive resistance.
post #8 of 11 Old 01-24-2018, 02:00 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 44
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 50
I bought one of those exact machines. The guy did the same thing had almost double the correct amount of oil in it. When I ran it oil would just splash out the muffler. After I corrected that I had to run it several times to burn the oil out of the muffler. There are some stupid people in this world.

Ariens ST11528LE
Honda HS720
post #9 of 11 Old 01-24-2018, 02:05 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 56
Thanks (Received): 62
Likes (Given): 51
Likes (Received): 148
better than running w/no oil when sometimes the only sign of that would be a seized engine or rod busting out of the engine case in which case too late to remedy.

Bought a dead but now fixed 1980ish craftsman II 10/28....ITS ONE HEAVY BEAST

MY VIDS ON FIXIN HER UP

post #10 of 11 Old 01-24-2018, 02:08 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 118
Thanks (Received): 277
Likes (Given): 358
Likes (Received): 633
I do kinda wonder if maybe a new machine comes with a quart bottle of oil, and the person just assumes that's what you're supposed to add.

Hopefully this one is a simple & cheap fix!

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Power Clear 221QR
Toro Power Curve 1800
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in