2015 Ariens Platinum 24" 369cc Fuel cap leaks - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 01-26-2018, 03:30 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
2015 Ariens Platinum 24" 369cc Fuel cap leaks

I'm trying to figure out what the fix is for the fuel cap leak on this model with this engine. I saw a Dec 16 2014 service bulletin and maybe there are others but what do you guys know? This thing will literally leak just running at idle with a full tank of gas. I tried to look up a new gas cap or gasket but when i put my model in the picture and everything look like a different engine. my model is a 921038. I also have an older platinnum 2013 921028 that has the screw on cap which is much better but still leaks when you tilt it foward. The concern is my 2015 whats the fix or parts I need ? thanks

Last edited by SuperiorArienRace; 01-26-2018 at 05:53 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 01-26-2018, 03:51 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 52
Thanks (Received): 124
Likes (Given): 78
Likes (Received): 167
I have the same machine and feel your pain. I am going to attach a recent thread that Paulie139 started when we were discussing this issue. Ariens redesigned it on the sneak without offering a new tank to existing owners they put a band aid on a broken bone, however it works for some. You can call Ariens, ask to speak with their tech support dept. they are familiar with the issue though they won't admit that there really was a problem. Ariens will send you a replacement cap with a thicker rubber gasket and a new strainer basket for the fuel filler neck of the tank that may do the trick but may not. They simplified the design on newer models (see the attached thread) no longer 3 pieces they integrated the strainer basket sleeve into the tank. Now on par with Toro's Loncin design in terms of ease of use, this solved the problem that you and I are experiencing. The cap has helped a bit but it still sweats fuel. I am still battling them for a new tank but will wait til the Spring before my dealer "performs diagnostics" on it.

https://www.snowblowerforum.com/forum...-921052-a.html

Ariens Platinum 24 SHO w/369cc carbureted LCT motor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 18 Old 01-26-2018, 05:48 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Received): 2
Got my blower back today with new cap that has the gasket

I have a 2017 model plat 24 sho nov delivery 1600ís serial

The cap I originally got did not have gasket

====
Western New York
late 2017 ariens platinum 24 SHO, poly shoes
1999-2017 ariens 824, no issues, cab, sold
1996 honda hs521, sold
post #4 of 18 Old 01-26-2018, 05:55 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
I called a local dealer friend to look into it and he will get back to me . I called ariens and the lady told me we don't offer an help or tech , bring it to your local dealer. I said I want to speak to the R&D department or engineering. She said they don't speak to the public LOL. I told her I'm buying toro. ha. So they just want to send you a new cap and gasket but they really need to send us a new tank from when they redesigned it? what year is that ? 2016,2017,2018?
post #5 of 18 Old 01-26-2018, 07:07 PM

Post Thanks / Like
That's a good question I got as far as finding out that the replacement tank for our units is a different part number than when it was new. The tech support manager at Ariens that I spoke with said that in and of itself does not mean it is the revised design. In fact he told me the new tank design used on model# 921050 is not backwards compatable with our 921038 model. My machine is a 2016 model year. Ariens considers it a 2015 in their print catalog and I bought mine in 2015. I know for a fact based on the thread I attached and looking at them in person that they definitely changed it for 2018 and possibly it was changed for the 2017 model but I am unsure.

The new part number for the replacement gas tank is: 20001439. It would be nice to know if this replacement tank has the modified fuel filler neck (without the separate detachable strainer sleeve) like the new one does as seen in the previous thread. If you can ask your dealer friend about this and get an answer that would be great. My dealer has not gotten back to me on this.

post #6 of 18 Old 01-26-2018, 07:11 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by kipsy View Post
Got my blower back today with new cap that has the gasket

I have a 2017 model plat 24 sho nov delivery 1600ís serial

The cap I originally got did not have gasket

Good to know, based on this they changed the fuel tank design on the 2018 model.
Have you had a chance to test if it stopped the leaking at the cap?

post #7 of 18 Old 01-26-2018, 07:21 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 11
Thanks (Received): 4
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 3
I have Plat 24 model 921050 purchased Jan 2017. After looking at the other thread referenced by Cardo (thank you) it looks like I have the old fuel neck/cap design. I have noticed some drops on the snow occasionally coming from cap area, nothing major but still....

Ariens 24 Platinum model 921050 with Poly Shoes

Sold my 17 yr old John Deere 828D for $300 in Jan 2017
post #8 of 18 Old 01-26-2018, 08:37 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by outrag1 View Post
I have Plat 24 model 921050 purchased Jan 2017. After looking at the other thread referenced by Cardo (thank you) it looks like I have the old fuel neck/cap design. I have noticed some drops on the snow occasionally coming from cap area, nothing major but still....
Anytime. Thanks for sharing. At the end of the day it is not a major issue. What peaves me is that you pay good money for a new product and a company will often try to ride you out of the warranty without offering the proper fix. Car companies are notorious for doing this, but they will usually offer a technical service bulletin (TSB), for those who complain about the issue and usually it would go beyond just replacing a fuel cap. Ariens knows that replacing the fuel tank is a more costly repair. I asked them to mail me a fuel tank I would install it myself, they replied we can't do that as it can be a potential safety hazard if not installed properly. They don't want to pay a dealer to install a new fuel tank if they don't have to. It is my burden to get the machine there or pay the dealer $60. to pick it up and drop it off (for their supplier's design flaw). The replacement fuel cap solution was put in place to ride customers out of their 3 year warranty. They always make it a point to tell me Ariens doesn't manufacture engines...

Additionally these engines particularly the 369cc and 414cc LCT Gen 3's with the low-profile fuel tank, have a capacity that is too small for the engine size. They really can't afford to be leaking any fuel.

post #9 of 18 Old 01-26-2018, 08:40 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
I don't understand we've been making metal fuel tanks for 100 years and plastic whenever. why do we still have problems???????????? cutting corners? or just being lazy and stupid? frustrating
post #10 of 18 Old 01-26-2018, 08:47 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 11
Thanks (Received): 4
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 3
Agree with everything you said. The tank should be bigger for sure. Also, the cap with the bigger gasket is not the correct solution. They should provide a new tank replacement. It sounds like if I deliver and pick up my unit from my dealer, Ariens may warranty the tank replacement? Pain in the butt but I have a pick up with ramps...

My other question is, given my original post, why did I get the older design when I bought my unit in Jan 2017 and have the newer model# 921050 on the Plat 24?

Ariens 24 Platinum model 921050 with Poly Shoes

Sold my 17 yr old John Deere 828D for $300 in Jan 2017
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page