post #1 of 29 Old 01-27-2018, 01:47 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 11
Likes (Given): 26
Likes (Received): 51
Garage
Battery Powered Start Conversion?

Just wondering if there might be a way to convert an AC starter to DC.

I have a friend who put a Harbor Freight 13HP engine on a snow thrower and that engine has a DC starter. So he mounted a battery onto the unit and voila, turn key starting for his snow thrower.

Without having to buy a $360 engine and retrofitting it like he did, is there a simpler way to mount a 12V battery and make it work with the AC starters that are on most of the US made snow throwers out there?

I didn't look too deep, but maybe there is already a thread on the forum about this topic. (Found one that is very old)

When I am doing my snow removal accounts, it would be beneficial to turn a key and go!

Bolens 824 (re-powered with Briggs and Stratton 14.5GT snow engine)
Simplicity 860 (1691900-17825) - (Backup machine)

Last edited by Sblg43; 01-27-2018 at 04:23 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 01-27-2018, 04:15 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
A plan is starting to gel.

It has to do with a 12V lawn tractor battery and a power inverter from Harbor Freight........

Probably should find out how much amperage is needed for the starter on the snow thrower. I would guess, less than 15 amps.

But now, another thought, put an inverter in my truck and just plug an extension cord from the truck to the snow thrower that will be on the trailer right behind it. That would be easier than having another battery to maintain.

Last edited by Sblg43; 01-27-2018 at 04:23 AM.
post #3 of 29 Old 01-27-2018, 04:50 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
Well, son of a gun, if I didn't just find something...

It never dawned on me to look for a 12V starter for a Tecumseh engine. But dang, Amazon has them and they can be bundled with a push button and a starter solenoid as well.

This might be a fun little project - to make a push button start snow thrower!

Is there an Ari P on this forum? He has some youtube videos were he describes a bit on how he converted his units to battery start.

post #4 of 29 Old 01-27-2018, 08:02 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 13
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sblg43 View Post
A plan is starting to gel.

It has to do with a 12V lawn tractor battery and a power inverter from Harbor Freight........

Probably should find out how much amperage is needed for the starter on the snow thrower. I would guess, less than 15 amps.

But now, another thought, put an inverter in my truck and just plug an extension cord from the truck to the snow thrower that will be on the trailer right behind it. That would be easier than having another battery to maintain.
================================================== =========

I happen to be in the same church right now, but sitting in a different pew. ----- In my case, I am working with a Kohler k141 engine.

I found and ordered a NOS 12v starter for it yesterday. For power, I am going to just use one of those 3in1 jump starters, like the one that HF sells.

I will make and put a small terminal box on the blower for clipping the jump cables on. For a push button, I plan to just use one of the old starter switches, like the ones used under the gas peddle on many old cars. Not planning on keeping the jump starter on the blower. ---- John
post #5 of 29 Old 01-27-2018, 08:17 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 118
Thanks (Received): 277
Likes (Given): 358
Likes (Received): 632
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sblg43 View Post
Well, son of a gun, if I didn't just find something...

It never dawned on me to look for a 12V starter for a Tecumseh engine. But dang, Amazon has them and they can be bundled with a push button and a starter solenoid as well.

This might be a fun little project - to make a push button start snow thrower!
Your plan evolved quickly. But yeah, I think buying a 12V DC starter is much more practical than trying to change things about the existing starter motor, or adding an inverter.

The idea of using a jump pack as your power source is interesting. But if the goal is to be able to start it anywhere during use, rather than just for the initial start to begin clearing, I think an onboard battery would be an easier solution during use.

Though you'd want to look into whether your engine has an electrical output that's suitable for charging a starter battery. If not, then yeah, maybe a jump pack is better, since that would already have a means to charge itself.

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Power Clear 221QR
Toro Power Curve 1800
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Kiss4aFrog liked this post
post #6 of 29 Old 01-27-2018, 10:16 AM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 509
Thanks (Received): 680
Likes (Given): 3834
Likes (Received): 1474
Garage
12 volt starter is the way to go. There are a few of them running around, mostly Honda, some of the larger Ariens come to mind. I have a stock 1030 Snapper that has a 12 volt system and all the 12v parts are listed in the manual. I like it because I'm getting old and tugging on that cord when it's sub zero just isn't getting any easier.

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 29 Old 01-27-2018, 10:57 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Received): 2
Garage
Use a 12v batery and starter setup from a similar powered garden tractor or riding mower. An inverter setup would need a huge power capability to handle the 110v AC starter start current. Besides I see a lot of people returning those inverters at HF so don't waste your time on one of those.

1999 Toro CCR3000GTS-E 38435
post #8 of 29 Old 01-27-2018, 11:12 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 21
Thanks (Received): 63
Likes (Given): 254
Likes (Received): 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterlooboy2hp View Post
================================================== =========
I happen to be in the same church right now, but sitting in a different pew. ----- In my case, I am working with a Kohler k141 engine.

I found and ordered a NOS 12v starter for it yesterday. For power, I am going to just use one of those 3in1 jump starters, like the one that HF sells.

I will make and put a small terminal box on the blower for clipping the jump cables on. For a push button, I plan to just use one of the old starter switches, like the ones used under the gas peddle on many old cars. Not planning on keeping the jump starter on the blower. ---- John
A relay and small switch may be easier to do. It's easier to wire, keep all the heavy wires close to the starter, and just run a couple small wires to the dash using a momentarily on switch. One of those five pin Bosch relays are cheap, plentiful. Del City sells sockets for them to make the install easy. HELLA makes waterproof ones, which is the one I'd look for.

Or a high current horn button for a boat. Something like this:

Or maybe better this, it's sealed, high current switch:

https://alexnld.com/product/waterpro...witch-control/

Last edited by jsup; 01-27-2018 at 11:17 AM.
post #9 of 29 Old 01-27-2018, 12:00 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 13
Likes (Received): 27
[QUOTE=jsup;1471929]A relay and small switch may be easier to do. It's easier to wire, keep all the heavy wires close to the starter, and just run a couple small wires to the dash using a momentarily on switch. One of those five pin Bosch relays are cheap, plentiful. Del City sells sockets for them to make the install easy. HELLA makes waterproof ones, which is the one I'd look for.

================================================== =============

That all sounds good, but I my case, I have a manual compression release on the Kohler engine. I have to be at the engine to operate the release and also the choke. The jump starter connections and the switch will be right on the engine, so no long cables. Kind of like the 110v house current starters, where the button is on top of the engine, or close by. --- John
post #10 of 29 Old 01-27-2018, 12:15 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 21
Thanks (Received): 63
Likes (Given): 254
Likes (Received): 239
[quote=Waterlooboy2hp;1472017]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsup View Post
A relay and small switch may be easier to do. It's easier to wire, keep all the heavy wires close to the starter, and just run a couple small wires to the dash using a momentarily on switch. One of those five pin Bosch relays are cheap, plentiful. Del City sells sockets for them to make the install easy. HELLA makes waterproof ones, which is the one I'd look for.

================================================== =============

That all sounds good, but I my case, I have a manual compression release on the Kohler engine. I have to be at the engine to operate the release and also the choke. The jump starter connections and the switch will be right on the engine, so no long cables. Kind of like the 110v house current starters, where the button is on top of the engine, or close by. --- John
Manual compression release. That's new to me. What is that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page