LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 12-10-2010, 04:08 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Honda HS35 snowblower

Hi everyone. My name is Jim Todd and I live in Orillia, Ontario Canada. I have a Honda HS35 that I have owned since 1980. It has been in storage for the last 3 years. Last year I had it out and it ran perfectly, so I figured that this year I would fix it up and give it to my new son in law. I installed new rubbers, spark plug, oil change and fresh gas. It would not start. All it would do is go sput, sput and then back fire. Put a little gas in the carb, same thing. Same thing happens when I put gas in the spark plug hole. Common sense then told me that I should take carb off and clean it. That I did and put it all back together and the same thing. Could any one enlighten me as to what might be the problem and what I need to do to fix it. Any help would be gratefully appreciated. Thanks. Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 12-10-2010, 05:38 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 553
Thanks (Received): 234
Likes (Given): 584
Likes (Received): 604
I'm going to guess that there's still something in the carb that needs to be cleaned out yet. If the search I did returned accurate information, the HS35 has a G150 engine. Then I was looking at the service manual here; http://honda-engines-eu.com/en/images/1004.pdf Down about page 16 or so it explains the workings of the carb, and well, there's a lot going on in there. If I was wrong, well, it made for some good reading for me for awhile.

Last edited by bwdbrn1; 12-10-2010 at 05:57 PM.
post #3 of 7 Old 12-10-2010, 11:27 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Hi Thanks for replying. I will read up on it, but I'm wondering if I might have a stuck valve. Jim
post #4 of 7 Old 12-11-2010, 12:00 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Did you check compression? That would eliminate the possibility of a valve being stuck open. Still possible to have a valve stuck closed? I don’t know how to check that without tearing into the engine.

Dan
post #5 of 7 Old 12-20-2010, 05:20 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Hi Turns out I had no compression at all. The culprit was a stuck inlet valve. Had to take the head off to fix it and now I have to put it all back together again. Question: what should I do so it won't happen again. Thanks. Jim T
post #6 of 7 Old 12-20-2010, 05:24 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Hi Dan. I should have added this to my post. What I had to do was, remove the carb and the muffler. If you pull on the starter cord you can see the valves moving up and down, in my case the inlet valve was stuck in the open position. Take care. Jim
post #7 of 7 Old 12-20-2010, 06:52 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Jasper here is an old aviation engine trick on stuck open valves and that is take the plug out and put some rope in the cylinder and slowly bring it up on its compression stroke and the rope compresses and pushs the valve close and frees it up, most of the time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page