Bringing an Old Snapper Back to Life - Decisions - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 01-30-2018, 11:35 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 8
Bringing an Old Snapper Back to Life - Decisions

As a few of you know I've been bringing an old 94 snapper 4/22 back to life. This is my first machine but I feel it's a good one to start learning the ropes on. When I first got her, she fired up after a carb cleaning and oil change and ran pretty good but would just barely move itself when pressing down the lever. So after using it for one snow storm (in a pinch) I knew she had been neglected long enough and it was time for some lovin in the garage

Just put a new auger belt on (drive belt was still in great condition), friction wheel, new drive belt tensioner spring (broken), greased the auger, and did a little carb adjusting for what could be adjusted since it's an emissions carb. Now it runs smooth and moves under its own power with ease. I still have the same issue where the auger always turns. Even after a new belt and adjusting the cable which applies a brake to the auger drum when the lever is not depressed, nothing. Not a huge concern for me but was hoping to have that fixed after some adjustment.

Next is what I should do about the tires. It's got the original 4.10-6 snow hogs on her and one gave up the ghost with a huge crack in the sidewall. The other still holds air but who knows for how long. The tread is good but I'm not sure if it's worth putting a tube in the flat one since it's already cracking and rotting. I've changed tires before but these don't look fun to do. If I'm replacing the tires, I would be upgrading to an Xtrac or similar tire. I feel it would be a wiser investment in a tire/wheel combo versus trying to replace the tires on the original wheels. I'm not trying to dump a ton of money into this machine but I did get it for free so I can't complain.

What would you guys do for the tire situation?

Last edited by Kiss4aFrog; 01-31-2018 at 05:58 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-30-2018, 11:58 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 61
Thanks (Received): 153
Likes (Given): 52
Likes (Received): 541
Take it to a tire shop that will do small tires and buy a new set of sno hogs or x tracs....my shop only charges 5-10 dollars to change a snowblower or tractor tire.
post #3 of 6 Old 01-30-2018, 12:28 PM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 10
Thanks (Received): 15
Likes (Given): 16
Likes (Received): 17
My Snapper came with Sno-Hogs stock. Its a 2002 8246.
I put chains on those Sno-Hog tires and I have had a great experience with them. The best traction out of all the snowblowers I use and they turn nice and smooth, because the chain links work their way in between the tread a bit, so it gives me that extra traction with a smooth ride. I am still on my first set of chains, I put them on in 2006 and I use the machine commercially, as I have pointed out many times before on different threads. Normally I get one season out of chains before they wear out, but on the sno-hogs they are protected. I used max-trax peerless chains, they make a quality chain, they sell at a very reasonable price on ebay. You really cant put chains on x traks because of how thick and knobby the tread is on those, so you cant get the added benefit of chains. IMO a set of Sno-Hogs with chains is the best combination you can have on a snowblower with wheels. The last two series of genuine snappers all came with Sno-Hogs, so I think they were onto something when they made sno hogs standard and they recommended chains in their manual, so that's what I did and it was the best thing I ever did. I also believe Sno-Hog tires have a nice stable feel to them, especially when you add the chains, x tracs seem to have a more hoppy bouncy feel and I want the front of my machine to stay as stable as possible so it clears down to the pavement without any slight hoping and missing spots, sno hogs get it done.
I would go with Sno-Hogs with chains, you cant go wrong, plus its a snapper and I know those machines react very well with that combination.
Snappers have an actual brake pad that comes down onto the pulley when you disengage the auger. Same material as a real brake pad, just much smaller. They wear out after a very long period of time and have to be replaced. You should be able to pull up your machines manual and parts diagram on the web very easily. Places like partstree.com will have your parts diagram, look up the part number, search for it online and get it at the cheapest price.
Also changing tires on these small rims is very easy and can be done on your own. A bit of a hassle but not that bad, not like a car tire. But if you can actually find someone to do it for 10-15 bucks do it, saves you the time and hassle. If places want more than that, just do it yourself. Theirs a lot of diy videos on youtube that show how its done, a lot covered on mini bike and quad tires. Same thing.
I'm not on my computer with the photos of my machines right now, but if you go to my garage, their are photos of my snapper with the sno-hogs and the chains on them.
Its interesting that your 94 series 3 has a non adjustable carb, mine is an 02 series 6 and it came with the adjustable carb.

Last edited by FearlessFront; 01-30-2018 at 12:33 PM.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks Jeepetti thanked for this post
post #4 of 6 Old 01-30-2018, 01:35 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks for the input guys. I'd probably attempt changing the tires myself before taking them anywhere. I won't be running chains which is why I would upgrade to a more aggressive tread like the Xtrac. Nothing against the snow hog lol.

I understand how the brake system works for the auger and inspected the part while I was in there replacing the friction disk. The cable hadn't been adjusted properly therefore the brake was barely ever subjected to wear. I believe my issue is that I went with an aftermarket kevlar belt and it's tight. Hoping after some time she might stretch a little. Next go around I'm going to try to find oem belts.

Maybe I jumped the gun saying it was an emissions carb but it has a non-adjustable main and the idle adjustment is recessed into the carb which looks like it may have been capped? Still a little new to these tecumseh carbs. Luckily it works fine after a good cleaning. I only had to replace the primer line which was basically turning to mush.

Last edited by Kiss4aFrog; 01-31-2018 at 05:59 PM.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Kiss4aFrog liked this post
post #5 of 6 Old 01-31-2018, 05:35 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Man this thread died faster than I thought lol. Anyone else want to add an opinion?
post #6 of 6 Old 01-31-2018, 06:16 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 509
Thanks (Received): 679
Likes (Given): 3832
Likes (Received): 1473
Garage
As for the auger and impeller turning, it's likely the belt tensioner is too tight. Most times the tensioner pulley is mounted to an arm in a slot so it can be adjusted to accommodate belt stretch. You might need to loosen up the center bolt and move the pulley if your 422 is so equipped. The belt needs to be loose enough so that the engine pulley can spin without driving the belt irregardless of how the brake is adjusted.

You mentioned you're going to try and tackle the tires yourself and you have a make picked out.

What else were you looking for input on ??
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hqdefault.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	129482  

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page