LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 01-30-2018, 12:13 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 11
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 17
Snow blower turned into a plow

Today I got 5". Midway into snow blowing (3/4 hour) my machine seemed to stop throwing and all I was doing was pushing the snow along. I thought at first the impeller was broken but realized instead the augers and impeller were full of ice. Twice I had to clear ice from my snow blower because it was caked on.

I'm at a loss to figure out why. As usual I brought my snow blower out to make certain it was cold. Earlier this year everything was waxed with carnauba. Last year I did a DIY impeller upgrade.

Any thoughts on how to avoid this going forward? I'm thinking about using fluid film but didn't bother as I never had an issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 01-30-2018, 12:17 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 61
Thanks (Received): 332
Likes (Given): 148
Likes (Received): 750
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony P. View Post
but realized instead the augers and impeller were full of ice. Twice I had to clear ice from my snow blower because it was caked on.
Ice? or slush? im guessing it was very wet snow/slush..
Looks like CT is right around the freezing mark today, thats warm (for snow) and its going to make very wet and slushy snow..2-stagers dont like slush.

Im guessing there is nothing wrong with your machine, you probably just have the worst possible type of snow today.

what was the air temp when you were using the machine?

Scot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Bob E, Kiss4aFrog liked this post
post #3 of 14 Old 01-30-2018, 12:20 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 20
Thanks (Received): 53
Likes (Given): 40
Likes (Received): 94
when it's wet there's not much we can do, but fight it .slow down let it clear it self move forward again till done, here if the blower plugs up out comes the tractor and plow blade
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Bob E liked this post
post #4 of 14 Old 01-30-2018, 12:56 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 4
Likes (Given): 21
Likes (Received): 29
We had the same snow here (had about 5" while blowing) and it was that kind of snow. I would not normally have used the 2 stage but I just did the impeller mod and new carb etc. so I had to play. I consider the impeller mod to be a huge success for the fact that I know it would have never, ever worked in that kind of snow before the mod. I couldn't have gone 15' before. Now it tossed most everything pretty good. Anything remotely dry went >30'

I did get the snowplow effect and had to back up a couple times. Snow was building up in the auger housing, on the auger housing, on the auger gear box, on the auger shaft, on me. Just stuck to everything and I had used silicone too! (not on me). By the time it ran out of gas (45 min) it was just starting to choke with snow stuck in the throat of the impeller housing so not much could get to the impeller. The impeller housing where the impeller itself runs was clear.

The single stage was fueled up so I used the that for the walks and to cleanup and even that struggled to keep itself clear which is unusual.
post #5 of 14 Old 01-30-2018, 01:06 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 11
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 17
Thanks for the input. It's good to know I'm not alone.
post #6 of 14 Old 01-30-2018, 01:23 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 103
Thanks (Received): 374
Likes (Given): 466
Likes (Received): 477
About an hour ago I was using my Honda HS624T to clean the snow from my driveway (4-5") and I was not happy at all with its performance (but it is the snow type not the blower itself).
I shoveled some areas and the blower was only throwing 6-15' (I do not have an impeller seal on this one). I still have to clean about half of my driveway but that will get done after work.
Because of today's experience I think I'm going to look into perhaps turning one of my Honda or Yamaha snowblowers into a dedicated small plow (I know it is not good for the tranny or the friction disc mechanism, but if it fails I'll replace it as I have some parts machines)
The other thing that I may do is experimenting with plastic liners, teflon coating.... and a larger engine...... we'll see
post #7 of 14 Old 02-01-2018, 03:03 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 118
Thanks (Received): 277
Likes (Given): 358
Likes (Received): 629
Using it as a plow seems like you'll have traction problems. I get wheel slipping sometimes even with chains, and with blowing the snow.

If just pushing like a plow I think this would be a bigger problem, as the snow builds up. And if just doing this for little storms, a single stage might be a better tool for the job.

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Power Clear 221QR
Toro Power Curve 1800
post #8 of 14 Old 02-01-2018, 06:00 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOctobyr View Post
Using it as a plow seems like you'll have traction problems. I get wheel slipping sometimes even with chains, and with blowing the snow.

If just pushing like a plow I think this would be a bigger problem, as the snow builds up. And if just doing this for little storms, a single stage might be a better tool for the job.
I have a gravel driveway, so a SS is a no-no.
I was doing some numbers on the impeller tip speed of my HS624 vs my HSS1332ATD and they are quite different (HS624 has about only 80% the speed of the HSS). I'll have to do some modifications there if I put a larger engine on the HS624.
About the plow thing, look at the videos below, the Yamaha YS1070T-B is slightly different than the YS1028J that I have (the T-B has longer wheel base and perhaps other differences).
The YS1070T-B comes with a plow from the Yamaha factory (thanks Yanmar-Ronin for the Yamaha Japan link). Interesting.......isn't it.....?

Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks chargin thanked for this post
post #9 of 14 Old 02-01-2018, 06:04 PM

Post Thanks / Like
The YS1028J weights close to 400lbs, so it should have some traction for a plow.
If I was to do it on an older Yamaha or Honda I'll have to add extra weight for traction.... we'll see if I end up doing something about it or not...
post #10 of 14 Old 02-01-2018, 07:01 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 6
Thanks (Received): 141
Likes (Given): 24
Likes (Received): 292
Iíve watched so many of that guys videos. He seems to be a heck of a salesman. Great hair too.

That plow feature is very elegant. I love how it rolls up wet snow, and easily locks up out of the way.

Honda HSS1328AATD | Honda HS720 | Toro Powerlite | Simplicity 860se

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page