New Snowblower ALREADY Rusting. Tips for prevention? - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 01-30-2018, 04:03 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 8
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 0
Question New Snowblower ALREADY Rusting. Tips for prevention?

I used my new Toro snow blower about 5 times this year and already i'm seeing significant rust within the busy end. I was expecting rust to appear 12 months from now not within 1 month. Sheesh. I figure the problem was rocks slamming into the paint exposing the iron -- mixed with the air and water the corrosion went to town. Before the winter started i applied a generous amount of Fluid Film on the inside.

Anyway was wondering if you guys have confirmed strategies for stopping the rust THEN applying a durable coating to help greatly reduce future issues. I was thinking

1. Wire brush any loose rust
2. Apply a generous amount of some Rust Converter -- i live in Canada so we only have Rust Check -- this never works for me
3. Spray a generous layer of some paint enamel OR 3M Paint Defender Film or a Truck Bed Liner.

Your thoughts?

Last edited by crosis38; 01-30-2018 at 04:13 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 01-30-2018, 07:13 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 12
Likes (Given): 3
Likes (Received): 30
This is unfortunate.

Odds are the metal wasn't cleaned properly before the housing went into powder coat. And once powder coat fails, it is very difficult to halt the corrosion without stripping and starting over. The coating traps the moisture underneath and odds are it will be coming off in big patches. You certainly can try treatments and paint but I haven't seen many examples of success doing so.

There's just one thing I'll guarantee , the best things in life, they sure AIN'T FREE !!

88 Craftsman II Trac-Plus 10/32 [wheeled conversion]
71 Ariens SnoThro 6/24 [Predator 6.5 repower]
72 Ariens SnoThro 6/24 with original Tecumseh H60
7? Ariens Tractor with rotary mower attachment [Tecumseh HSK100 repower]
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks crosis38 thanked for this post
post #3 of 16 Old 01-30-2018, 07:56 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 21
Thanks (Received): 63
Likes (Given): 254
Likes (Received): 239
Can you disassemble it and take it to a good commercial powder coater to do it right. Sand Blast it prep it and powder coat it. This doesn't sound right as stated above.

Last edited by jsup; 01-30-2018 at 08:07 PM.
post #4 of 16 Old 01-30-2018, 08:00 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 4
Likes (Given): 5
Likes (Received): 22
My MTD although quite a number of years older, is doing the same thing. I had paint flaking off in areas in large pieces and I have found that Rustoleum spray primer with the rust inhibitor seems to do the trick, provided you don't care how the machine looks. Any area I noticed that had rust, I sprayed with this and I haven't had an issue since. Been using it for years like this now. The machine's overall value doesn't justify me tearing it down and getting it powder coated and I don't care how it looks, function over form for me. Not an ideal look but the Rustoleum definitely did the trick in stopping the rust from getting worse.

Last edited by FlamingSpaghetti; 01-30-2018 at 08:05 PM.
post #5 of 16 Old 01-30-2018, 08:14 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 97
Thanks (Received): 80
Likes (Given): 81
Likes (Received): 397
If it's within warranty maybe you can get some relief there?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 16 Old 01-30-2018, 08:21 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 12
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 44
POWDER COATING STINKS. Once it chips water gets under and because it's a hard film it comes off in sheets and can NOT be touched up. Use Rustoleum red oxide primer and oil based enamel paint. As far as rust removal if you get a quart of phosphoric acid from a paint store or home center (it may be sold as concrete or metal prep) it will convert any rust you can't sand off to a paintable black surface and etch the clean metal.
post #7 of 16 Old 01-30-2018, 08:31 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 187
Thanks (Received): 8
Likes (Given): 55
Likes (Received): 46
I'd spray the inside bucket area with a light oil a couple of times a season and once before you put it away for the summer. You'll probably be long gone before it rusts through.
post #8 of 16 Old 01-30-2018, 08:48 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 33
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 54
I'm not looking up the specs...BUT are manuf these days PC the buckets or paint. I would think paint, since it's cheaper off the line....
post #9 of 16 Old 01-30-2018, 09:23 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhazelton View Post
POWDER COATING STINKS. Once it chips water gets under and because it's a hard film it comes off in sheets and can NOT be touched up. Use Rustoleum red oxide primer and oil based enamel paint. As far as rust removal if you get a quart of phosphoric acid from a paint store or home center (it may be sold as concrete or metal prep) it will convert any rust you can't sand off to a paintable black surface and etch the clean metal.
I've used powder coating on a lot of things without a problem, however I have a local professional shop that is very conscious or prep. I have had good luck with their stuff on car frames and such. Perhaps a snow blower isn't one of it's best applications.

That being said, acid does work great, good idea. I forgot about that. But one thing with acid, you have to prime it almost immediately or else rust develops. I've used Muratic acid, not sure if it matters.
post #10 of 16 Old 01-30-2018, 09:26 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yanmar Ronin View Post
If it's within warranty maybe you can get some relief there?
Great question, I looked it up.

https://www.torodealer.com/en-us/Pag...ranty.aspx#w11

Under "frame warrantee" it addresses rust.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page