"Steele Products" SP-SB2621 Blower, 2011? Two Stage needs jack Shaft & other parts - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 02-02-2018, 02:08 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 1
"Steele Products" SP-SB2621 Blower, 2011? Two Stage needs jack Shaft & other parts

So, Wait 'till ya get a load of this one. (Long Post, I don't know any better, I'm NEW!)

I was given this 26" wide dual stage blower at a garage sale. The engine was only overfilled by 10 oz. It had a "service " tag tied to it. The paint inside the blower is almost new. Hardly used. Branded "All Power America" now JD North America.

This blower was constructed poorly. The walls of the drive box are constructed "too far apart", axles have much lateral slop. The steel walls are not very ridged for all the stress and flexing that goes on. To top it off, there is a 9HP engine which sure comes close to overpowering this clap-trap of a blower.

The guy who gave it to me said "The chain keeps coming off". Upon disassembly, I could see the damaged Bronze "D" bushings and the marks the axle shafts made as they dislodged, and scraped the inside of the drive box. And NOW YOU know what happened: Pure bedlam. Chains, sprockets, axles, all derailed and dislodged. Speed adjuster rod & Locking Diff slide rod bent and stuck. Some poor dopey schlub (just like me) tried to put it all together again like Humpty Dumpty, Left the washers out for the Friction plate bearing fork assy, And everything probably fell apart again as soon as it was used the next snow storm. Double Bedlam!

I quickly found the manual on Sears Parts Direct. It's the right manual, but the part numbers are only a sequential listing having no other reference. I ended up using the original parts because I couldn't find relevant part numbers.

So, the second or third Dopey Schlub, (that would be me) Pounded the drive box walls back in, bent the rods back straight, put the washers on the friction plate bearing forks, fabricated shims (.130" x 7/8 od) for the axles, and re-installed the deformed but serviceable Bronze "D" Bushings.

Then: I tied the bottom of the drive box wall together with some heavy wire, to keep the wall from bulging out under the twisting and flexing of normal operation. The holes were already there as if some person in China figured the whole assy "ain't ridged enough" and planned to include some 3/8" threaded rod and some flat steel gussets (like rectangular washers) to add rigidity, which is what I plan to do.

Then I noticed that the bottom cover is out of spec because it WRENCHES the WALLS of the drive box APART when installed! Making some more spacers!

The TEST: SUCCESS!

We had a heavy storm at the jersey shore 4 weeks ago, about 2 feet drifted over the lake and onto our property. The wind was blowing. This baby powered right through it, with just a little complaining from the drive, which I think I then over adjusted. Engine Never Bogged down, NOT ONCE! Did three properties, then...I Finishing up the driveway apron. Oh oh, I was on dry pavement and applied too much power, snapped the Jack Shaft! Out of LUCK#@%&*!!$%@#&.

I have since identified some similar or identical parts in some Murray machines, around 2011. BUT NOT THE JACK SHAFT. Found the wheel (Bronze oilite) bushing, and the shaft bearings (1/2"). This machine has a lever to unlock the differential for sharp turns. SOOO, therefore the jack shaft sprocket(s) are in a different position from that of the Murray's. I have searched FAR and WIDE but have not found this or one under another name anywhere I looked.

The Machine is standing up, opened for servicing right at the moment and I can take measurements and fiddle with it. I believe the Jack Shaft sprockets are 7 x 32 ? 4:20 chain?

Here a link for the manual:
https://www.searspartsdirect.com/par...?manualIndex=0

OK, that's it. If anyone has questions, comments or suggestions I humbly ask you to forward them to me. Tks!

holmziep
N2EXG
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 02-02-2018, 02:37 PM

Location: nova scotia-south shore - ave annual snowfall 199.4 cm ( 78.5 ")
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 73
Thanks (Received): 157
Likes (Given): 353
Likes (Received): 588
Garage
I have a question.......where are the pics ? ( you may need to post 9 more times before you can add pics.....so get to posting already!&#128512

24 " 1967? Ariens Sno thro
28 " Ariens Sno Tek
Toro CCR ss
1966 Gravely LI Walk behind with dog eater

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 16 Old 02-02-2018, 02:52 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 88
Thanks (Received): 174
Likes (Given): 68
Likes (Received): 406
Garage
Whoops, what a nightmare. I've seen these type of Chinese snowblowers on Alibaba, cheap, however you must buy 10.

You are very humbling so I am not going to beat you up! Lol! Like **** I'm not!! A line of John Wayne's!

I wonder who makes your engine and how good that is?

My two thoughts are, swap the drivetrain from another blower. I have an almost complete older YardMan for you if you are interested, no engine. Or find a blower without an engine, same one as above. Other thoughts, scrap it, buy something better, keeping the engine and hoping for the best.

1986 Ariens ST522, 5hp, 22"
1995 Murray Craftsman 10hp, 29" w. 12" impeller
A 1983 Real John Deere 10hp, 32" w. 12" impeller, 16" auger, 20" high front, cast iron gear box, chains
Noma 9hp, 27" w. 12" impeller
Noma 5hp, 24" w. 12" impeller, 20" high front
Gravely Convertible, 12hp Kohler cast iron, 26" width, 600 lbs of cast iron & steel, 2 speed impeller, 4 ground speeds
Dynamark 8hp, 26", 12" impeller, for sale
Several other 5hp, 8hp, several 2 cycle, all for sale
post #4 of 16 Old 02-02-2018, 02:55 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 509
Thanks (Received): 680
Likes (Given): 3834
Likes (Received): 1474
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwcove View Post
I have a question.......where are the pics ? ( you may need to post 9 more times before you can add pics.....so get to posting already!&#128512

Nope we changed so you should be able to link photos from post number one.

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes jsup liked this post
post #5 of 16 Old 02-02-2018, 04:19 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 61
Thanks (Received): 156
Likes (Given): 52
Likes (Received): 548
Swap that engine onto an old Ariens.......or Toro.......or Snapper........
post #6 of 16 Old 02-02-2018, 04:32 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks guys! Yup, I gotcha photo, I gotcha Diagrams. Though I reduced the photos, I don't know how to post photos and images yet.

I have this blurb:

"Steele Products is manufactured by Jiang Dong of China and this model – Steele Products Model #SP-SB2621 Snowblower is the equivalent NA version of the JDS4020. It has an all steel construction with a two stage system for dispatching snow. It has a 26 inch swath with... ..."

Ahh, I don't believe it is the JDS4020, but may be close, can't believe everything ya read on the internet. Baah.

The Engine is made by a "Loncin Motor Co" in August 2011, verified. It starts on first pull, and runs strong, it's a real bear, seems new. Could use it for a stump grinder or go-cart, but I'm gettin' to old for both. ****, I'm going to be too old for a snowblower before too long.

I haven't fished the other end of the jackshaft out yet, and the short piece is somewhere in the back of my driver seat. (aw, come on, no jokes here fellas)

Hey JLawrence08648, I did tighten 'r up real nice, my confidence level was high... until the next weakest thing broke. Beside the jack shaft, the Cowling broke around the crank where ya wind the shute back and forth, I was not gentle enough. Now the crank just sits there flappin' in the wind. Still works. If I can get that jackshaft...I 'll be on easy-Street. Cost so far, $ 30.00

"If it ain't broke, don't fix 'er"
"Well, she broke."

holmziep
N2EXG
post #7 of 16 Old 02-02-2018, 04:41 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
I see the attach panel, here are pics. The manual is .pdf on my origional post, the page is 21 for the diagram of the drive, and the part is # 23 but it shows separate sprockets and shaft which are all one piece. On page 22 is the stupid parts listing shows "sprocket and hub" for part #23.

Hope pics come through, here they are?
post #8 of 16 Old 02-02-2018, 04:46 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
I did not see any "Upload Progress" or thumbnails. These are reduce to 1024 x 768. Will try again.

Got it!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN7599.JPG
Views:	58
Size:	274.6 KB
ID:	129898   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN7605.JPG
Views:	44
Size:	200.2 KB
ID:	129906   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN7600.JPG
Views:	44
Size:	272.0 KB
ID:	129914   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN7601.JPG
Views:	39
Size:	264.1 KB
ID:	129922   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN7602.JPG
Views:	47
Size:	271.5 KB
ID:	129930  

post #9 of 16 Old 02-02-2018, 05:00 PM

Location: nova scotia-south shore - ave annual snowfall 199.4 cm ( 78.5 ")
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 73
Thanks (Received): 157
Likes (Given): 353
Likes (Received): 588
Garage
that machine actually doesnt look bad ! ( looks can be deceiving ). and it must work ok when it works.......not a flake of snow to be seen in your yard !!!

24 " 1967? Ariens Sno thro
28 " Ariens Sno Tek
Toro CCR ss
1966 Gravely LI Walk behind with dog eater

post #10 of 16 Old 02-02-2018, 05:02 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 21
Thanks (Received): 63
Likes (Given): 254
Likes (Received): 239
Looks like a fairly decent machine, once it's fixed. Who owns the machine has more to do with how it operates than does the brand.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page