post #1 of 33 Old 02-05-2018, 09:39 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 4
Likes (Received): 1
Not Starting and a Rattle

Good Evening,

23 year old from Wisconsin who has no idea what he's doing.

My father passed away unexpectedly a year ago so I moved back in with my Mother to keep her company. With that I adopted the responsibility of a 2 acre yard and a plethora of small-engine toys that I know nothing about. If it runs on gasoline, oil, and has a carburetor, it's my worst enemy. Things seem to break ****-near every week. But hey, nothing good comes without a struggle, right?

Anyways, I'm joining because my snowblower won't start for the second time this year. I took it in the first time and they did the following...

-Starter Drive
-Skid LH
-Skid RH
-Cables
-Spairs
-Boil Out Carb
-Repair Starter
-Replace skids and choke contact
-Run & Adjust

This cost me $201. Did I get ripped off here? I probably seemed like fresh-blood when I went in to the shop (I am engine illiterate).

Anyways, It ran fine for about a month and now it won't start again. It was COLD AS **** (-15 degrees) this past couple days, and wondering if that has anything to do with it.

I put fuel stabilizer in the machine a month ago and have ran it 4-5 times since having it fixed. The oil level is fine. The key is in the ignition and on. The choke is on. Speed thinger is in a 3/4 position. And neither the pull nor the electric start works.

When I use the electric start (my preferred method) it rattles for a couple seconds, the rattling stops, and the exhaust fan continues to run. I tried multiple different outlets, including an outlet I've started it from many times.

Is the rattle a bad sign?

I'm thinking the carb needs to be cleaned, which is odd since it was cleaned about a month ago AND I have stabilizer in it.

Where would you start in my situation?

The machine is a Husqavarna HL1027STEB.

Help me out!

Last edited by Jordan Todd Pogorzelski; 02-05-2018 at 09:44 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old 02-05-2018, 10:03 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 12
Thanks (Received): 100
Likes (Given): 101
Likes (Received): 243
Glad to see you stepped up to help out your Mom and sorry for your loss. Your blower has a 10hp Tecumseh brand engine and there are a LOT of videos out there on cleaning the carb, Might be as simple as cleaning the jet. (Very easy to do) I would just try the first step of this video and clean just the main jet as that is the issue 90% of the time, To clean out the small holes I use a strand of copper wire so I won't damage the jet. Well anyway hope this helps. Just did the exact same to my neighbors that could not get his to start. Had it running in 15 minutes. OH and thinking about it, Check to see the condition of the fuel line at the carb, If it's leaving black marks on your hands it most likely is the thing blocking up the carb as small bits will come off the rubber and block the jets. If it is bad come back here BEFORE you pull out the old fuel line as there is a trick to putting in the new one but you need the old one still in to do it.

Sno-Tek Modded, 15"X-Track tires (Now has same X-Track tires but 13"x4" for better fit), 254cc engine LED light and hand warmers.
Snapper 6/22 sold but not forgotten. Was my first.
Ariens ST1027LE workhorse and going strong.
New 2017 Ariens Deluxe completely rebuilt after losing a fight with a forklift.

Last edited by Dauntae; 02-05-2018 at 10:17 PM.
post #3 of 33 Old 02-05-2018, 10:32 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 236
Thanks (Received): 275
Likes (Given): 2796
Likes (Received): 504
Hello and welcome to SBF Jordan. My condolences on your loss and my respect for moving back home to help your mother.

Make sure the fuel valve is on, the choke is set to closed, the throttle is set to fast and push the primer at least two or three times ( fuel will\might drip from the carb and that is normal). Not sure what you mean by the starter rattles and the exhaust fan is running? Have you tried starting it with the pull starter?

Toro 8/24 (38080) 1989
Toro 421-QZE (38585) 2008

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes jsup liked this post
post #4 of 33 Old 02-05-2018, 10:48 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 14
Thanks (Received): 61
Likes (Given): 53
Likes (Received): 167
Exhaust fan? What, exactly are we talking about? The impeller, perhaps? That should not turn at all when starting . . . at least if the controls are set correctly.
post #5 of 33 Old 02-05-2018, 11:07 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 4
Likes (Received): 1
Must be the impeller. Sorry for lack in terminology. Is there a way I can post a video I took at home to explain the rattle?

Thanks a ton for the advice. I will let you all know how it goes tomorrow when I have some time.

Edit: All controls set in the correct positions. I honestly can't find the fuel valve on this machine but it's turned on multiple times since it was fixed and no one else would have touched my blower.

Also, I thought I'm not supposed to prime when using electric start?

I'll take a look at a diagram tomorrow to get terminology down.

Last edited by Jordan Todd Pogorzelski; 02-05-2018 at 11:17 PM.
post #6 of 33 Old 02-06-2018, 01:03 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 14
Thanks (Received): 61
Likes (Given): 53
Likes (Received): 167
You are correct in that you typically don't prime with electric start. My Tecumsehs electric start by setting throttle to about 3/4, hitting the button, then closing the choke until it fires, and then immediately backing it off a step immediately, and more as threngine warms up. Nothing is turning at that point other thsn the engine . . . (at least on a Toro or Ariens). You might also check interlocks, depending on how your unit is set up.
post #7 of 33 Old 02-06-2018, 06:24 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 84
Likes (Given): 20
Likes (Received): 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by tadawson View Post
You are correct in that you typically don't prime with electric start. .
That is new to me. I prime a cold engine no matter whether I am using my arm, or electricity. The electricity just doesn't hurt my shoulder the next day - LOL. With my procedure, I have never had an issue getting any engine started.

Thoughts ?
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Grunt, Kiss4aFrog liked this post
post #8 of 33 Old 02-06-2018, 07:56 AM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 61
Thanks (Received): 332
Likes (Given): 148
Likes (Received): 750
Priming, or not, has nothing to do with electric start vs. pull start..
Priming, or not, has to do with temperature..the colder it is, the more priming helps.
Actually, I hit the primer button, once, even on my push-mower in the summer!
but it does help the most when its cold..
but electric start or pull start has zero relevance to priming..
For a snowblower, since they are used in the cold, IMO the primer is good to use, every time starting..

Jordan,
the starting problems you are describing have a few likely causes:

1. The fuel valve is turned off, but based on what you said, that seems unlikely.
2. "bad gas", also seems unlikely since it was used recently..although..when did you *buy* the gas that is currently in the blower?
3. Choke controls not in the right position for starting..that one could be likely, since you arent super-familiar with the machine.

a video would help! best way to post one: youtube.
if you dont have an account, you can create one for free..

one thing that definately isnt a factor:
Quote:
I tried multiple different outlets, including an outlet I've started it from many times.
If the starter turns with one outlet, no need to try any other outlet..the outlet isnt the problem.

When you press the starter button, can you tell if the engine is turning? or is only the starter itself spinning?

Scot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Likes Grunt liked this post
post #9 of 33 Old 02-06-2018, 08:16 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 9
Thanks (Received): 98
Likes (Given): 18
Likes (Received): 256
Jordan,

Hello and welcome!

There is a lot of good advice above... look into some of the things that have been suggested, and definitely post a video if you can... it'll help us figure out what's going on. If you can in your video, make sure to cover everything you do before attempting to start the machine... control positions and so on.

Also you might edit your profile and enter the city/town as well as the state you live in. It's possible someone here lives nearby and would be willing to help in person!

~1994 Ariens 924084 (ST1032) "papa bear": restored, re-engined, real nice!
1991 Ariens 924050 (ST824) "mama bear"
Toro PowerCurve 1800 "baby bear"

Be alert! America needs more lerts.
Likes Grunt liked this post
post #10 of 33 Old 02-06-2018, 08:21 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 480
Thanks (Received): 341
Likes (Given): 290
Likes (Received): 1112
What do you mean by spairs????????????? you posted they repaired the starter on it. so if that is acting up I really don't think they fixed that.

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page