LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 02-10-2018, 06:46 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Poulan "Hunting" Help!

Hi everyone. I have a Poulan Pro pr624es. My engine has been surging or hunting I believe are the terms...it idles up and down when the choke is off. Acts fine when choked.

Did some research and all signs pointed to needing to clean the carburetor. Took it completely apart and cleaned everything - sprayed with cleaner, sat parts in carb cleaner bath, ran needle through each pinhole opening and cleaned everything with small wire bristle brush...THOROUGH! Put it back together - no difference.

Since then I have done the following
-New spark plug
-Removed the fuel line checked for clogs - it's clear
-Removed the shutoff valve under the gas tank - cleaned the barb and whole valve assembly.
-Removed the fuel filter from the shutoff valve assembly - cleaned it.
-Cleaned the inside of the gas tank the best I could - gave most attention to the opening where the shutoff assembly connects.

No change. I'm stumped. I feel like everything is cleaner than when I bought the thing new lol. Is there someone that can point me in a direction I have not considered? I feel like there is adequate fuel making it to the carb, but it's not getting to the engine. I tried hitting the primer once or twice as it was surging/hunting and it did make a difference...so somewhere in the process, there is not enough gas.

Thank you in advance!

-Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 02-11-2018, 08:44 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 85
Likes (Given): 22
Likes (Received): 206
Wow, sounds like you touched all of the bases. If it were me, my next step would be to but a Chinese carb. Or, have you tried fresh gas ?
post #3 of 13 Old 02-11-2018, 09:51 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 112
Likes (Given): 13
Likes (Received): 292
Just for the heck of it, try running it with the gas cap loose to see if maybe the vent is blocked. Don't actually clear snow that way, just run the engine full throttle and see if there is any improvement with the cap loose.

In the meantime, until you have time to possibly replace the carb, if that's turns out to be the problem, run it with a little choke so it behaves nicely while you're working it.

Work fascinates me.
I can watch somebody work for hours...
2008 Craftsman 944.528391 (It's a Husqvarna ST227P)
27", B&S 305cc 13.5 ft/lb Torque 9.5 hp
post #4 of 13 Old 02-11-2018, 09:52 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 118
Thanks (Received): 277
Likes (Given): 358
Likes (Received): 632
You could have an air leak between the carburetor and where it mounts to the engine's intake. That can allow "raw" air in, making the engine run lean.

If the carb's float was sitting too low, that might be able to contribute.

Cleaning the main jet again might not be too much effort, and could help, if it's still restricted somehow.

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Power Clear 221QR
Toro Power Curve 1800
post #5 of 13 Old 02-11-2018, 05:33 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 43
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 43
Sometimes you just can't get the carbs clean. Hopefully they make a Chinese knockoff cheap, and just replace the carb. To check for a vacuum leak spray carb cleaner around the carb to engine joint while running.

Ariens ST11528LE
Honda HS720
post #6 of 13 Old 02-13-2018, 09:10 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 137
Likes (Given): 14
Likes (Received): 322
With everything done and suggested, sure sounds like it's running lean to me. Check any carb you look at to see if it has adjustable jets in it (preferred IMO). I know some have drilled out jets in other engines a little to resolve this same type of issue when there was not an adjustable jet available. The other idea would be to see if there's an adjustable replacement jet available for your machine.

Just some thoughts.
post #7 of 13 Old 02-13-2018, 12:39 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 12
Thanks (Received): 38
Likes (Given): 11
Likes (Received): 63
You don't say how old it is but I'm guessing it could be time for a new carb. If you can find a replacement carb with either/or adjustable idle and main jet you're golden. I put a carb with an adjustable idle jet from a Husqvarna on my Cub Cadet with a 208 cc Powermore engine with minimal modifications. An adjustable main jet needle from waterlooboy2hp completed the process and it runs better than new.
post #8 of 13 Old 02-13-2018, 01:33 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 217
Thanks (Received): 8
Likes (Given): 56
Likes (Received): 46
Maybe running a double dose of Seafoam for half an hour or so may do the job...that hasn't been mentioned yet. Seems to help some guys.
post #9 of 13 Old 02-13-2018, 01:46 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 45
Likes (Given): 52
Likes (Received): 154
how does it seem to run when it hits the snow and how long have you had the machine? only reason i ask is my neighbor has a machine that does the same thing when idling but when it hits the snow it seems to smooth out. i know i mentioned it to him a few winters ago that it sounded a bit off but i think i have heard a few other blowers since that do it.

arien 520 snow blower 6.5hp swap
yardworks 31AH6WKF515
post #10 of 13 Old 02-13-2018, 01:47 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 118
Thanks (Received): 277
Likes (Given): 358
Likes (Received): 632
Some people say it's worked for them. I've tried Seafoam in 2 engines that needed choke to run smoothly, neither one showed a benefit.

For one, after running gas + Seafoam, I even tried to fill the bowl with what was pretty much straight Seafoam, and let it sit for a few days. Then ran gas again, and it still needed choke. It ran great after running it through the ultrasonic cleaner, though.

There's definitely no harm to trying Seafoam, but it hasn't produced a lot of results for me. Put differently, even if it doesn't fix the hunting, you might still be dealing with a dirty carb.

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Power Clear 221QR
Toro Power Curve 1800
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page