LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 40 Old 02-11-2018, 12:45 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 2
Likes (Given): 7
Likes (Received): 2
2010 Briggs snow series motor

The machine it is on is a Husqvarna 14527E and it is an American made motor. This machine is under built and over powered eats auger belts and I don't push it. This is what happened I went out and started it always started two pulls. Never used electric start only to test it. The motor has been the best part. I started it the other day and was making sure the auger was going to turn and don't remember if I throttled down or what I was doing. But the motor backfired and quit. I haven't checked the fly wheel or the valves yet. But with the e start it will turn over and stop. With the recoil if I pull it pass the compression point it will do the same thing. I am assuming the fly wheel key sheared but what would cause the there was not load. Except in engaging the auger. I ran for at least 10 minutes and move fine. Just wondering two things what would cause this and where to start. I am thinking the fly wheel because I pulled the plug wire and it seemed to turn over OK. It is kind of a blur I was a little tick off this machine has less than 50 hours on it. it also seems to be pushing out of the carb. I couldn't feel any air coming out of the exhaust either. My body is failing me that is why I am asking before digging in normally I would just tear it apart and figure it out. I used an old MTD to finish. They don't make them like they used to!!!
Thanks in advance for any reply's

Last edited by oldackonoak; 02-11-2018 at 02:17 PM. Reason: Adding information
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 Old 02-12-2018, 08:28 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 118
Thanks (Received): 277
Likes (Given): 358
Likes (Received): 632
Sorry, I'm not 100% clear on the symptoms.

Is the electric starter able to turn the engine normally? Is the pull starter able to turn it normally?

In both cases, it turns, but won't start?

A backfire *can* shear a flywheel key, especially if the flywheel nut was under-torqued. If the engine can rotate normally, and has compression, but won't start, then I'd agree that a sheared flywheel key could cause that.

At least check for spark before tearing into the engine, if it's turning normally.

If you're not feeling any air from the exhaust, though, you might have an exhaust valve problem. Bent exhaust pushrod, broken rocker arm, etc. Removing the valve cover (I'm assuming OHV) and watching the valves while turning the engine would tell you a lot.

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Power Clear 221QR
Toro Power Curve 1800

Last edited by RedOctobyr; 02-12-2018 at 08:31 AM.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Grunt liked this post
post #3 of 40 Old 02-12-2018, 10:17 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOctobyr View Post
Sorry, I'm not 100% clear on the symptoms.

Is the electric starter able to turn the engine normally? Is the pull starter able to turn it normally?

In both cases, it turns, but won't start?

A backfire *can* shear a flywheel key, especially if the flywheel nut was under-torqued. If the engine can rotate normally, and has compression, but won't start, then I'd agree that a sheared flywheel key could cause that.

At least check for spark before tearing into the engine, if it's turning normally.

If you're not feeling any air from the exhaust, though, you might have an exhaust valve problem. Bent exhaust pushrod, broken rocker arm, etc. Removing the valve cover (I'm assuming OHV) and watching the valves while turning the engine would tell you a lot.
No neither starter will turn the motor over unless I pull very hard. Then it puffs out of the air intake. I have never sheared a fly wheel key on anything ever. But it seems like a common problem. I should be able to get at it later this week. Thanks I will check those first.

Last edited by oldackonoak; 02-12-2018 at 10:19 AM. Reason: adding
post #4 of 40 Old 02-12-2018, 11:06 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Pulling the spark plug, then trying the starters, will help confirm that you're fighting compression, and not something else.

If your exhaust valve isn't opening at all, your compression during starting will be really high, since the compression release won't function. That'll make it quite a bit harder to turn. And it would be consistent with what you're describing, with no air from the exhaust.

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Power Clear 221QR
Toro Power Curve 1800
post #5 of 40 Old 02-12-2018, 01:20 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 236
Thanks (Received): 276
Likes (Given): 2803
Likes (Received): 506
As RedOctobyr was alluding to, pull the valve cover off and make sure both rocker arms are moving up and down. It is very rare to shear a flywheel key on a snow blower motor. I also say you probably have a valve problem.

Toro 8/24 (38080) 1989
Toro 421-QZE (38585) 2008 (Gone)
Toro 721-QZR (38741) 2015 (Hemi Predator Power)

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.
post #6 of 40 Old 02-12-2018, 01:51 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grunt View Post
As RedOctobyr was alluding to, pull the valve cover off and make sure both rocker arms are moving up and down. It is very rare to shear a flywheel key on a snow blower motor. I also say you probably have a valve problem.
Thanks I will look at valves first. Just seems weird that it was running fine and then not. I did see a video about these motors they have a pin that is permanently connected to the cam shaft that hold a small spring and lever to open the decompression. If it breaks you have to get a new cam shaft. This motor doesn't have that many hours on it I bought it because it was a Briggs. made in the U.S as far as the rest of the blower is concerned the controls on top are nice but the auger is small and doesn't pick up snow well. Throws it 50 ft.
post #7 of 40 Old 02-12-2018, 03:27 PM

Post Thanks / Like
If you wanted a sense of whether the exhaust valve is able to open, you could loosen the spark plug in the threads. That might act as a crude compression release. Leave the plug wire disconnected, you don't want it to actually start like this.

Then see if you can get the engine to turn, and if so, feel for air coming out the exhaust. If air comes out, that's good, the valve is functioning.

Heck, maybe you got lucky and the rocker arm adjuster loosened itself, messing with the function of the valve. Or maybe a pushrod bent. Something cheap and easy.

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Power Clear 221QR
Toro Power Curve 1800
post #8 of 40 Old 02-13-2018, 03:32 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOctobyr View Post
If you wanted a sense of whether the exhaust valve is able to open, you could loosen the spark plug in the threads. That might act as a crude compression release. Leave the plug wire disconnected, you don't want it to actually start like this.

Then see if you can get the engine to turn, and if so, feel for air coming out the exhaust. If air comes out, that's good, the valve is functioning.

Heck, maybe you got lucky and the rocker arm adjuster loosened itself, messing with the function of the valve. Or maybe a pushrod bent. Something cheap and easy.
I will be working on this tomorrow but I did disconnect the plug and pulled it over and it didn't rip the cord out of my had but it did seem to pull hard. I just hope it isn't a problem with the cam. I was reading they had some problems with the decompression release on the cam shaft. But when I reconnected the plug it rip out of my hand. I haven't had much luck with this blower it is newer than 2010 I think I bought it 3 years ago. I will do a review. I needed a blower late in the season I only had a small window to use my neighbors van and pick one up. I have had a Husqvarna lawn tractor never had any problems. So I thought the snow blowers would be as good a quality. Not the case in this model.
post #9 of 40 Old 02-13-2018, 06:24 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 16
Thanks (Received): 62
Likes (Given): 55
Likes (Received): 172
Sounds like timing, and you are getting spark too early, thus counter rotation pulling the starter cord out of your hand, and blowing back out the intake (essentially, if fires the entire intake . . .). Points back to flywheel key again . . .
post #10 of 40 Old 02-14-2018, 03:49 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadawson View Post
Sounds like timing, and you are getting spark too early, thus counter rotation pulling the starter cord out of your hand, and blowing back out the intake (essentially, if fires the entire intake . . .). Points back to flywheel key again . . .
This is what I found so far 1 broken rod on the exhaust valve and a bent rod on intake. They are made of aluminum there goes my bias toward B&S. The parts list shows to Tappets on the bottom are these going to be gone and I have to open up the case to find them or will they be sitting there just waiting for me to insert rod. I have never had a problem with any of my equipment having any problems with the valves. I ordered 2 sets of rods. I might just buy a new machine isn't that what they make credit cards for. Fix this one when I have time and buy some thing for under 2 grand that has all controls on top and plenty of power. My friend has 2 MTD's he has had for 12 years and never had a problem with them. One is a 30". I just changed the belts and they were still in good shape went through the entire machine everything thing was fine. Maybe that is the way to go. I just need the distance throw. They don't make stuff like they used to that is for sure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page