LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 02-11-2018, 09:37 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Carbuerator leaks

Okay so this winter I tried to start the snowblower up (its a 205cc briggs stratton 1.5 yrs old, used one season 2 times) and it wouldn't start. Even when hooked up to electricity. So I took the carburetor off, it had some gook in it, cleaned it, and put it back on. Snowblower starts on 1st pull, great!!

The the problem is, after I turn it off, and it sits, it starts to leak. Not much, just a few drops,but then after a view days its like a drop a day,but it builds up around the top.

So basically after like 2 weeks from the last start, there's a buildup of gook around the outside. So I took the carburettor off, cleaned the bowl, and carefully put it back, noting the lil rubber gasket at top of bowl. Put it all back the way it should be. Snowblower starts, and the same, just a drop or 2 of gas. I simply leave the blower in the garage and lets days go by. Slowly but surely, it starts to build up around the outside.

What am I doing wrong? what's the trick to putting the carburetor back on right so that it doesn't slowly leak after days of sitting ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	442.5 KB
ID:	132073   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	422.5 KB
ID:	132081   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	420.2 KB
ID:	132089  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 02-11-2018, 11:37 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 196
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 250
I am not familiar with the newer Briggs, but generally if the carb is leaking while just sitting there it is either the gasket for the bolt that holds the bowl on, the drain plug if the bowl has one or the needle/seat are leaking and allowing the fuel tank to slowly leak into the carb. The carb will over fill and then leak. Depending on the engine set up this can cause all the fuel to dump out onto the ground or run into the engine and eventually make its way into the oil.

It can be a good idea to add a fuel shut off valve to the fuel line between the tank and the carb. This can help mitigate issues like this during storage.

Please direct all snow blower questions to the forums and not to me with PMs.
post #3 of 13 Old 02-12-2018, 12:14 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Okay yeah this is a storage issue.

Now the gasket around the bolt that holds the bowl on looks pretty decent, but I could use a new once since they are cheap. But if leaks there, it somehow causes the gas to fill the bowl and leak from the top?

Also,

I am novice with snowblowers, I don't know much. Can you advise on how to add a fuel cutoff valve?

thanks in advance
post #4 of 13 Old 02-12-2018, 01:42 PM

Location: North Dallas area and UP of MI, average snowfall 202"
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 16
Thanks (Received): 67
Likes (Given): 59
Likes (Received): 180
Cut the fuel line where it is accessible (typically just below the tank).

Insert the shutoff valve.
post #5 of 13 Old 02-12-2018, 02:11 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 89
Thanks (Received): 180
Likes (Given): 69
Likes (Received): 409
Garage
Make sure you have fresh gas, not only for the explosiveness of the gas but to ensure there's no crap in it. Put it in a clear soda bottle and look at the color, there should be none.

This may be more than you want to do but it's easy. Remove the carb, take it completely apart, unscrewing all the screws, and put it in a carb soak, Berryman's. Let it sit for several hours then blow out the small holes with an aerosol carb cleaner. Right now it sounds like you have gunk somewhere, and your fuel inlet valve is leaking which is under the fuel bowl. It's leaking because it's not sealing, possibly gunk.

1986 Ariens ST522, 5hp, 22"
1995 Murray Craftsman 10hp, 29" w. 12" impeller
A 1983 Real John Deere 10hp, 32" w. 12" impeller, 16" auger, 20" high front, cast iron gear box, chains
Noma 9hp, 27" w. 12" impeller
Noma 5hp, 24" w. 12" impeller, 20" high front
Gravely Convertible, 12hp Kohler cast iron, 26" width, 600 lbs of cast iron & steel, 2 speed impeller, 4 ground speeds
Dynamark 8hp, 26", 12" impeller, for sale
Several other 5hp, 8hp, several 2 cycle, all for sale
post #6 of 13 Old 02-12-2018, 03:10 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 2
Likes (Given): 7
Likes (Received): 2
Go on You Tube search for installing a fuel shut off valve on a Briggs. There a quite a few video's there should be a cut out in the front plastic below fuel tank. If not you can drill a hole and make a notch easy enough. It is good to have a fuel shut off on any small engine. I find a way to add them even if there is very little room.
post #7 of 13 Old 02-12-2018, 03:26 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 27
Likes (Received): 66
If the Float is "floating", and the Needle is properly seated, then the fuel level should never get to the top of the bowl; so either the composite Gasket at the bottom is leaking, or there's something (grit) preventing the Needle from completely seating.
post #8 of 13 Old 02-12-2018, 04:01 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 10
Thanks (Received): 100
Likes (Given): 19
Likes (Received): 264
^^ What he said!

The purpose of the float+needle+seat in a carburetor is to regulate the level of fuel in the bowl, and the level should never get to the top of the bowl... it usually runs about 3/4 full. Very similar to the fill valve in the tank on a toilet if you've ever dealt with one of those.

So if while the machine is sitting (I'm assuming it's sitting more or less level), fuel reaches the top of the bowl and leaks out, the float+needle+seat system is not doing its job. As Vermont007 said, a bit of dirt could be causing the needle not to seal against the seat. Or the float level could be misadjusted, or the float could have fuel in it and not be floating as much as it should.

With a plastic float, it's also possible that a little piece of plastic sticking out due to a manufacturing defect could get caught on the float bowl and prevent it moving freely.

~1994 Ariens 924084 (ST1032) "papa bear": restored, re-engined, real nice!
1991 Ariens 924050 (ST824) "mama bear"
Toro PowerCurve 1800 "baby bear"

Be alert! America needs more lerts.
post #9 of 13 Old 02-12-2018, 04:39 PM

Location: North Dallas area and UP of MI, average snowfall 202"
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 16
Thanks (Received): 67
Likes (Given): 59
Likes (Received): 180
Dirt, or it was incorrectly replaced - he did say he had the carb apart to clean it . . .
post #10 of 13 Old 02-12-2018, 04:55 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 18
Likes (Given): 42
Likes (Received): 119
After you install a fuel shutoff valve get in the habit of shutting off the fuel valve and letting the machine consume all of the gas before putting it away. That will help keep gunk from getting in the carb in the first place.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page