post #1 of 6 Old 02-13-2018, 02:03 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 1
Cadmium Plating

Hey guys,

I'm a fussy guy and the cadmium plating on my snowblower is showing some corrosion. Is there a way to bring it back up to like new condition without re-plating? I just bought this machine, and would like to have it look as new again.
Thanks in advance for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-13-2018, 07:12 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 6
Thanks (Received): 25
Likes (Given): 5
Likes (Received): 43
No easy way. There are spray "cold galvanize" products fro several sources that offer some corrosion protection, but they really do look like dark gray primer, so offer results from nothing to even worse as far as appearance.

For some car resto projects where cad plating was original, I send buckets of hardware to a plater in SoCal for restoring the original plating. They charge by the pound with a $200 minimum, so I save up as much as I can in a couple buckets to make the minimum.

Meanwhile, there are some zinc plus a yellow chromate washes that look initially like a cad plating. Problem is that deteriorates to a gray zinc galvanized finish after almost any exposure to corrosive materials. Salt is a big "consumer" of cad and zinc plating. 300-series stainless suffers less in salt exposure and may be an option for at least fasteners. There's functionally no such thing as a grade-8 stainless fastener, so some uses are just not practical for stainless. As far as brackets and other hardware, good paint or powdercoating is better than nothing, but won't look the same as a good cad plating.

Husqy ST227P for 2015 snow season.

I love my snowblower. Every beat of it's little heart is one mine won't have to take.

Last edited by dr bob; 02-13-2018 at 07:15 PM.
post #3 of 6 Old 02-14-2018, 10:13 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks Dr Bob. Mine isn't that bad, I'm just being fussy. I just bought this machine, and the guy didn't wash it at all. He purchased it in Dec 2017. I washed it and sprayed it down with Krown to prevent any further damage.

2016 Ariens Platinum 30 SHO
post #4 of 6 Old 02-14-2018, 11:33 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 137
Likes (Given): 14
Likes (Received): 322
Here's a thought if it's not too bad. There's something called LRC (I think - for lime, rust and calcium) to use in the bathroom. I used it on a truck bumper that was showing rust through the chrome plating. It cleaned it up a lot then I tried clearcoating over it. It was presentable for a while. Unfortunately once rust gets in there, it's in there pretty much forever. You can make it look prettier but eventually you'll see rust again.
post #5 of 6 Old 02-14-2018, 12:05 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
I never thought of that HCBPH. I'll give it a try.

2016 Ariens Platinum 30 SHO
post #6 of 6 Old 02-14-2018, 12:37 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 12
Likes (Received): 44
You can get one of these kits. Personally I just hit stuff with Fluid Film or WD40 or a silicone spray often.

Copy CadŽ & Zinc Plating Kits - Plating Kits - Caswell Inc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page