post #1 of 34 Old 02-19-2018, 04:19 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 3
Stuck Bearing

Hi. I'm working on an Ariens snowblower 920402-167123

It came to me from a neighbor with drive issues and I quickly diagnosed as a bad friction disc. One side of it is missing all of the rubber. There was a mouse nest in there and since the machine is not that old and the rest of the wheel is in good condition, I'm assuming they ate it.

The problem I'm having is with the bearings on the ends of the hex shaft. I believe the one on the pinion side needs to be removed in order to slide the hex shaft out and remove the friction disc.

But that thing is rusted onto the end of the shaft pretty good. I can't work it loose but twisting back and forth because the bearing just spins, like it's supposed to. I tried banging the shaft a bit with a hammer and block of wood to coax it out but it just won't budge. I don't think I can heat it as there is a rubber seal.

here's a link to the diagram
https://www.jackssmallengines.com/ja...friction-drive

Any help is appreciated. I don't have a problem with replacing the bearing if necessary but was trying to avoid it. Either way, it has to come off right?

Thanks very much
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 Old 02-19-2018, 04:55 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 48
Thanks (Received): 98
Likes (Given): 54
Likes (Received): 99
On my machine the bearing is in a flange so lubricate the outside of flange where it fits into the frame and use a big hammer (and a brass drift) to shock the other end of the hex shaft. Mine came loose easily.

2015 Ariens Platinum 30 SHO - model 921040
post #3 of 34 Old 02-20-2018, 10:41 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
So I tried that but it didn't budge. However, I may not be hitting it hard enough. I'm kind of scared to hit it too hard. How hard can I hit it? As hard as I can?
post #4 of 34 Old 02-20-2018, 11:22 AM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 509
Thanks (Received): 679
Likes (Given): 3832
Likes (Received): 1473
Garage
Are you using something good like PB Blaster for a penetrating oil ??

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 34 Old 02-20-2018, 12:12 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
The very same. I hit it with PB yesterday and let it sit over night. I sprayed it again today. I had originally removed both bearing flanges but reinstalled the right one as to keep the bearing centered for even distribution of force. I'm hitting the shaft on the right side with the left bearing flange off to allow it to move in that direction once broken loose. Am I on track?
post #6 of 34 Old 02-20-2018, 12:27 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 48
Thanks (Received): 98
Likes (Given): 54
Likes (Received): 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty View Post
The very same. I hit it with PB yesterday and let it sit over night. I sprayed it again today. I had originally removed both bearing flanges but reinstalled the right one as to keep the bearing centered for even distribution of force. I'm hitting the shaft on the right side with the left bearing flange off to allow it to move in that direction once broken loose. Am I on track?
If both bearing flanges are removed then you have failed to remove something else and probably doing damage the more you hit the hex shaft. Did you remove the wire in the hex shaft to limit high gear and reverse gear?

2015 Ariens Platinum 30 SHO - model 921040

Last edited by Town; 02-20-2018 at 12:31 PM.
post #7 of 34 Old 02-20-2018, 12:53 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Do you mean the clips on either side of the shaft that limit the disc from sliding too far? They look like modified cotter pins that pass through a small hole in the hex shaft. I did remove those. As far as I can see, the only thing preventing the shaft from sliding in either direction right now are the bearings on either end. With the flanges off, I can wobble the shaft, pulling the pinion gear away from the larger gear. So there is movement in the shaft back and forth but not left and right. But it has not budged at all from left to right.

Before tackling the job, I watched a video showing how to perform the task with the very same design. When the person removed the bearing flanges, the bearings slipped right off and stayed in the flanges. Once removed, the shaft just freely flopped around and pulled out the left side. And then the pinion gear slid right off the shoulder of the shaft on the right side, which is splined.
post #8 of 34 Old 02-20-2018, 12:58 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
Deleted, I was typing when you did post six. Went and saw the viedeo, my idea is junk.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Kiss4aFrog; 02-20-2018 at 01:13 PM.
post #9 of 34 Old 02-20-2018, 01:04 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
It would fit over that but the problem is that the bearing will not pass into the housing body of the machine. The hole that the shaft passes through on the housing is smaller than the bearing, for obvious reasons. And it's the right side that has to come off because the gear is on the inside right, which would prevent the shaft from sliding to the right.
post #10 of 34 Old 02-20-2018, 01:11 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
When you get a chance it would be helpful if you went into your "User CP" and added a location.

Do you have room to get a small bearing puller on it ?? Oreilly and Autozone have loaner tools if you don't have one.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page