post #1 of 11 Old 02-21-2018, 02:00 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 88
Thanks (Received): 174
Likes (Given): 68
Likes (Received): 406
Garage
Tygon is junk, use manufacturer's hose

I've used Tygon and I have the same problem with all of it, it gets hard and cracks and leaks.

My local chainsaw repair saw, completely honest!!!!, stopped using Tygon shortly after it came to the market, yes, that long ago. When Tygon came out, they bought a lot of it and every repair they did came back. You talk to them about Tygon, their voice starts rising, getting louder, then nasty. They are adamant! They only use the manufacturers original hose/tubing. Never ever any any after market hose. They are done with it. If the hose is molded, such as much of Stihl, they order Stihl. If flexible, they use either Echo or Poulan for everything and they prefer the black rubber fuel hose. They buy rolls of it of course.

1986 Ariens ST522, 5hp, 22"
1995 Murray Craftsman 10hp, 29" w. 12" impeller
A 1983 Real John Deere 10hp, 32" w. 12" impeller, 16" auger, 20" high front, cast iron gear box, chains
Noma 9hp, 27" w. 12" impeller
Noma 5hp, 24" w. 12" impeller, 20" high front
Gravely Convertible, 12hp Kohler cast iron, 26" width, 600 lbs of cast iron & steel, 2 speed impeller, 4 ground speeds
Dynamark 8hp, 26", 12" impeller, for sale
Several other 5hp, 8hp, several 2 cycle, all for sale
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks E350 thanked for this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 02-21-2018, 09:16 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 10
Likes (Given): 4
Likes (Received): 20
Similarly, in the opposite direction, I've had bad luck with black rubber hose. Trying marine-grade Tygon on my blower. So far so good. Will keep you guys updated. Will be one year in service this coming July, or thereabouts.
post #3 of 11 Old 02-21-2018, 11:48 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 97
Thanks (Received): 80
Likes (Given): 81
Likes (Received): 397
I like Tygon for what I use it for, namely the teeny diameter lines on chainsaws etc., hangs on good/no leaks or air suck. Replace every couple years as part of regular maintenance anyhow, haven't seen it harden in that time. Caveat: we get real good gas over here, max allowable ethanol 3% but where I buy it's zero. IIRC Tygon's not recommended for 10% or greater.

Never tried the 'regular' sized line like you'd use on a blower or lawn tractor though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Kiss4aFrog liked this post
post #4 of 11 Old 02-22-2018, 12:54 AM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 509
Thanks (Received): 680
Likes (Given): 3834
Likes (Received): 1474
Garage
I have a roll of Tygon to fit the primer lines. Been using it for a couple years and haven't seen any problems (yet).

For fuel line I use fuel line from auto store. The OD is usually a bit bigger so it's sometimes a bit more difficult to route but it holds up really well.

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Kiss4aFrog; 02-22-2018 at 12:56 AM.
post #5 of 11 Old 02-22-2018, 06:01 AM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 158
Likes (Given): 95
Likes (Received): 302
Like K4frog says

Last edited by jtclays; 03-13-2018 at 05:23 PM.
post #6 of 11 Old 02-22-2018, 12:28 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 17
Thanks (Received): 20
Likes (Given): 103
Likes (Received): 73
I've used Tygon for years on trimmers, leaf blowers,etc. and never had too many problems with it getting along with our 10% ethanol fuel.It stands up at least as well as the OEM fuel lines.

The problem I do have is with my Shindaiwa brushcutter/line trimmer .It's an early 90's model and uses an elaborate molded rubber fuel filter/pickup tube/check valve.I have to drain the gas tank after every use because if I don't, by the end of the summer one day I'll go to use it and it won't start.The reason it won't start is because the pickup tube has turned to jelly and can be poured out of the tank along with the gas.

I use good ole Good Year rubber fuel line on snowblowers.It is slightly larger OD than the original Tecumseh or Briggs but works well and lasts.
post #7 of 11 Old 02-22-2018, 02:11 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 12
Likes (Given): 3
Likes (Received): 30
Tygon is just a brand name and there are at least 40 different specifications of tubing sold under the name. If you don't watch the designations, you could be getting hose designed for food, laboratory or medical service. So buying from an unknown source like Ebay or Amazon could cause you trouble. If you buy tubing made for use inside a soda dispenser, of course it will fail. There are also a bunch of imitators out there. Saint Gobain is the top notch brand in my opinion.

I have sold fuel grade Tygon in the auto parts store for many years and have not received any complaints regarding failures.

There's just one thing I'll guarantee , the best things in life, they sure AIN'T FREE !!

88 Craftsman II Trac-Plus 10/32 [wheeled conversion]
71 Ariens SnoThro 6/24 [Predator 6.5 repower]
72 Ariens SnoThro 6/24 with original Tecumseh H60
7? Ariens Tractor with rotary mower attachment [Tecumseh HSK100 repower]
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes FullThrottle, jonnied12 liked this post
post #8 of 11 Old 02-22-2018, 02:43 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 37
Thanks (Received): 12
Likes (Given): 228
Likes (Received): 26
Like you say,you have to check the specs. to see what application it can be used on..

Quote:
Originally Posted by deezlfan View Post
Tygon is just a brand name and there are at least 40 different specifications of tubing sold under the name. If you don't watch the designations, you could be getting hose designed for food, laboratory or medical service. So buying from an unknown source like Ebay or Amazon could cause you trouble. If you buy tubing made for use inside a soda dispenser, of course it will fail. There are also a bunch of imitators out there. Saint Gobain is the top notch brand in my opinion.

I have sold fuel grade Tygon in the auto parts store for many years and have not received any complaints regarding failures.

Last edited by FullThrottle; 02-22-2018 at 03:10 PM.
post #9 of 11 Old 02-22-2018, 02:45 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 17
Thanks (Received): 20
Likes (Given): 103
Likes (Received): 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by deezlfan View Post
Tygon is just a brand name and there are at least 40 different specifications of tubing sold under the name. If you don't watch the designations, you could be getting hose designed for food, laboratory or medical service........
Yes-I'm glad you mentioned this,I had intended to.I buy my Tygon line at the auto parts store.I pay dearly for it,but it lasts.
post #10 of 11 Old 03-06-2018, 11:51 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 8
Thanks (Received): 8
Likes (Given): 8
Likes (Received): 27
Garage
Even Tygon Fuel and Lubricant grade is only rated "B: Good" with gasoline and ethanol.

PredaToro: Toro 521, Predator 60363
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page