LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 02-21-2018, 06:46 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Snow shield for Predator 212cc

New to the site here...love thumbing through the forum. I just recently put the HF predator 212 on my 89' MTD. Everything went really smooth. Does anyone have pics or a template to make s snow shield for the linkage that everyone talks about. Thanks in advance, any help is appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 02-21-2018, 06:58 PM

Location: nova scotia-south shore - ave annual snowfall 199.4 cm ( 78.5 ")
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 73
Thanks (Received): 157
Likes (Given): 366
Likes (Received): 597
Garage
heres all i did .

24 " 1967? Ariens Sno thro
28 " Ariens Sno Tek
Toro CCR ss
1966 Gravely LI Walk behind with dog eater

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes jrom liked this post
post #3 of 12 Old 02-21-2018, 07:14 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
That looks nice, I'm assuming sheet metal painted black? Also how did you mount it?
post #4 of 12 Old 02-21-2018, 07:21 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
yep, just sheet metal painted black, made a template out of a cereal box. its mounted to the top removable section of the airbox, i used nuts and bolts with loc tite on the nuts , a better way would be rivets. the shield does go in under the lip of the fuel tank so any water dripping off the tank run off the shield.

28 " Ariens Sno Tek
Toro CCR ss

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 12 Old 02-21-2018, 07:32 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Very nice, i like the idea of mounting to the air box, but my air box is a little different but I will def use yours for inspiration. Haha
post #6 of 12 Old 02-21-2018, 09:09 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokebuster View Post
Very nice, i like the idea of mounting to the air box, but my air box is a little different but I will def use yours for inspiration. Haha
do post some pics of what you do so other members can work with your idea !!

28 " Ariens Sno Tek
Toro CCR ss

post #7 of 12 Old 02-22-2018, 12:44 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 46
Thanks (Received): 67
Likes (Given): 57
Likes (Received): 107
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 3 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Mike C., jrom, 1132le liked this post
post #8 of 12 Old 02-22-2018, 02:01 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 17
Thanks (Received): 20
Likes (Given): 103
Likes (Received): 73
I'm going to have to make the same shield,Gustoguy,for my Harbor Freight Greyhound engine on my Toro 521.

I didn't have any problems with snow locking up the governor on this engine for the first 3 years or so,then it became an ever increasing PITA,to the point I just stopped using the blower.

Last week,I finally got my fingers out and fabricated the shield over the linkage like others have done.I hate doing that kind of work-I'm terrible at making patterns,but it came out pretty well.The Greyhound engines are a little more difficult because they have a square notch in the top of the gas tank that the air filter housing extends into.

I was happy to be able to use a small,light blower again for a change.I tried it the next storm and it lasted about half an hour before the governor locked up.The snow must be getting in under the gas tank and I'm going to have to make that shield,too.

Do you see any problems with making the shield extend up to the seem in the tank and follow it around?As I said,I suck at metal work and it would take me forever to make a pattern that follows the tank bottom contours like that.What is holding the shield on to the tank?
post #9 of 12 Old 02-22-2018, 09:37 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 46
Thanks (Received): 67
Likes (Given): 57
Likes (Received): 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike C. View Post
I'm going to have to make the same shield,Gustoguy,for my Harbor Freight Greyhound engine on my Toro 521.

I didn't have any problems with snow locking up the governor on this engine for the first 3 years or so,then it became an ever increasing PITA,to the point I just stopped using the blower.

Last week,I finally got my fingers out and fabricated the shield over the linkage like others have done.I hate doing that kind of work-I'm terrible at making patterns,but it came out pretty well.The Greyhound engines are a little more difficult because they have a square notch in the top of the gas tank that the air filter housing extends into.

I was happy to be able to use a small,light blower again for a change.I tried it the next storm and it lasted about half an hour before the governor locked up.The snow must be getting in under the gas tank and I'm going to have to make that shield,too.

Do you see any problems with making the shield extend up to the seem in the tank and follow it around?As I said,I suck at metal work and it would take me forever to make a pattern that follows the tank bottom contours like that.What is holding the shield on to the tank?

On the PTO side of the engine there is a bolt that is holding the shield on also just above the shut off swith there is a sheetmetal screw holding it to the bracket which the gas tank is attached to. I never had an Ice up and I have been using this blower for nearly 5 years with the Predator 212cc on it.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks Mike C. thanked for this post
post #10 of 12 Old 02-22-2018, 10:31 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 52
Thanks (Received): 53
Likes (Given): 105
Likes (Received): 72
I posted these a few years ago but here they are again. Made from galvanized sheet steel.

Attaches with only 3 screws and seals against 1/2 th weatherstripping on the gas tank to prevent water from dripping into the linkage area. I attached a small length of angle iron to the muffler shield and tapped two holes to fix the shield on top. I also made a sheet metal extension underneath the carb so the cover can be screwed down in a 3rd location on the side.
So far it has held up well. I can remove it pretty quickly with a Philips should I need to get in there for any maintenance. The back side remains open. I did cover the governor side and front with a piece of flat steel bent in an L shape. It is mounted to the M6 tapped holes on the engine. I hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	top view (800x600).jpg
Views:	70
Size:	285.4 KB
ID:	134241   Click image for larger version

Name:	top shield (800x600).jpg
Views:	45
Size:	379.3 KB
ID:	134249   Click image for larger version

Name:	gas tank seal (800x600).jpg
Views:	44
Size:	268.6 KB
ID:	134257   Click image for larger version

Name:	front vew  (800x600).jpg
Views:	82
Size:	250.4 KB
ID:	134265   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bottom view (800x600).jpg
Views:	52
Size:	254.2 KB
ID:	134273  

Current machines
Ariens 926LE

Yard Machine 22" upgraded with 6.5 HP Predator

Last edited by Toro-8-2-4; 02-22-2018 at 10:35 PM.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks Mike C. thanked for this post
Likes 1132le liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page