LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 02-24-2018, 01:31 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 7
Thanks (Received): 4
Likes (Given): 10
Likes (Received): 9
Low Speed Mixture

Ariens 8/32 from 1975 here. Trying to get a better understanding of how to properly set the low speed fuel mixture. It has a new carb about 2 yrs ago. Runs solid under load and is a mule. With no load it surges so I think it needs adjustment somehow on the low speed fuel circuit. Is there a method for adjusting the main mixture and the low speed mixture on full load vs no load or how is this done properly?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 02-24-2018, 01:56 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 89
Likes (Given): 24
Likes (Received): 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by 59ctd View Post
Ariens 8/32 from 1975 here. Trying to get a better understanding of how to properly set the low speed fuel mixture. It has a new carb about 2 yrs ago. Runs solid under load and is a mule. With no load it surges so I think it needs adjustment somehow on the low speed fuel circuit. Is there a method for adjusting the main mixture and the low speed mixture on full load vs no load or how is this done properly?
I would suggest YouTube videos. DonnyBoy (think that is his handle ) has good videos on adjusting mixture screws. Some may be on a chain saw, but for the most part, the process is the same.

Not rocket science once you watch the video. Basically, clockwise turning of the screw limits the fuel, which will make it run leaner, and the opposite does the opposite ! Kind of fun once you get the hang of it. You'll be looking for engines to work on !
post #3 of 13 Old 02-24-2018, 01:57 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 29
Thanks (Received): 86
Likes (Given): 61
Likes (Received): 193
Garage
idle muxture screw 1 1/4 turns out base setting
high speed screw 1 1/2 turns out base setting
warm it up set hi speed mix screw turn in until it runs ruff then out till it runs ruff then set it in the middle
you can adjust slighty to your conditions warm= a lil less rich cold a lil more rich
idle mixture should be close
then adjust idle speed
post #4 of 13 Old 02-24-2018, 02:06 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 2
depends what your replacement carb has for adjusting . Original would have a low speed . Assuming that it's a tecumseh?
post #5 of 13 Old 02-24-2018, 02:23 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 6
Thanks (Received): 143
Likes (Received): 294
Set the basic setting. Screw the needle in all the way, not tight, just until it stops. Then 1-1/2 turns out. Same for the high speed adjustment under the carb.

Start and warm up the machine, at full throttle adjust the high speed mixture until rpms peak at their highest. Adjust slightly in and slightly out then settle in the middle.

I then raise the idle by turning in the idle screw to around 2400rpms. I use a hand held tach that just needs to be held close but by ear is fine.

Then adjust the mixture screw in or out until the engine rpms peak their highest. You should adjust the screw in and out and settle in the middle.

Then drop the idle to around 1800-2000 by screwing out the idle screw. (I think that’s spec)

To test the low speed mixture, idle the machine and move the throttle quickly back to full speed. If it doesn’t choke and ramps up in RPMs immediately then you’re good. A momentary stumble isn’t a problem.

If it chokes then make a 1/8 of a turn adjustment at a time until it accelerates properly.

In practice it take me under a minute.

Honda HSS1328AATD | Honda HS720 | Toro Powerlite | Simplicity 860se

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 13 Old 02-24-2018, 02:27 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
you know he doesnt have a tach if he did he would know how to do this
post #7 of 13 Old 02-24-2018, 02:31 PM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 158
Likes (Given): 95
Likes (Received): 302
thtsucs

Last edited by jtclays; 03-13-2018 at 06:20 PM.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Grunt, classiccat liked this post
post #8 of 13 Old 02-24-2018, 02:32 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 6
Thanks (Received): 143
Likes (Received): 294
Donít really need one, just stating how I do it. The idea is an elevated rpm, not idle, not full throttle.

Honda HSS1328AATD | Honda HS720 | Toro Powerlite | Simplicity 860se

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 13 Old 02-24-2018, 02:44 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
right i didnt say to raise idle 1st before adjusting as he might raise to high tuff to know by ear
i use a tach myself
better to use the slow to fast as a guide without the tach imo
as jt said make sure nothing is clogged or you will be doing all this again
post #10 of 13 Old 02-24-2018, 02:53 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 56
Thanks (Received): 62
Likes (Given): 51
Likes (Received): 148
easy way, on warm engine, adjust high idle, wide open throttle, until it sounds good as too far in or out engine sounds like crap.
then lower throttle lever to just before kill switch is engaged, adjust low idle air screw, not the idle butterfly set screw, adjust until engine sounds good, then bring throtle lever back to wot and adjust the low idle air screw until engine sounds good.
on wot engine uses both low and high speed air mix screws.
this assumes carb is cleaned and has good fuel flow from tank.

Bought a dead but now fixed 1980ish craftsman II 10/28....ITS ONE HEAVY BEAST

MY VIDS ON FIXIN HER UP

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page