post #1 of 8 Old 03-05-2018, 11:42 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 4
Question regarding ultrasonic cleaners

Good morning all
This is not a machine issue, both my machines are working great. My question is that I have made the transition from extremely harsh but very effective chemical carb cleaners to an ultrasonic unit. What I'm looking for is what type of cleaner is the best for using with this. Right now I am using Simple Green (purple) . What have you used and what results occurred. Results on a good old green slimy carb. Looking for cleaner and temperatures used (10C - 80C). Your input will be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Snoman110
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 03-05-2018, 12:13 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 88
Thanks (Received): 174
Likes (Given): 68
Likes (Received): 406
Garage
A month ago I wrote a long piece on ultrasonic cleaners. Search for that. I also covered using various cleaners and the reasoning why. Carbs should be precleaned before putting in the ultrasonic cleaner. What type of machines do you have? From where? Used?

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoman110 View Post
Good morning all
This is not a machine issue, both my machines are working great. My question is that I have made the transition from extremely harsh but very effective chemical carb cleaners to an ultrasonic unit. What I'm looking for is what type of cleaner is the best for using with this. Right now I am using Simple Green (purple) . What have you used and what results occurred. Results on a good old green slimy carb. Looking for cleaner and temperatures used (10C - 80C). Your input will be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Snoman110

1986 Ariens ST522, 5hp, 22"
1995 Murray Craftsman 10hp, 29" w. 12" impeller
A 1983 Real John Deere 10hp, 32" w. 12" impeller, 16" auger, 20" high front, cast iron gear box, chains
Noma 9hp, 27" w. 12" impeller
Noma 5hp, 24" w. 12" impeller, 20" high front
Gravely Convertible, 12hp Kohler cast iron, 26" width, 600 lbs of cast iron & steel, 2 speed impeller, 4 ground speeds
Dynamark 8hp, 26", 12" impeller, for sale
Several other 5hp, 8hp, several 2 cycle, all for sale
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes guybb3 liked this post
post #3 of 8 Old 03-05-2018, 02:38 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 18
Thanks (Received): 2
Likes (Received): 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLawrence08648 View Post
A month ago I wrote a long piece on ultrasonic cleaners. Search for that. I also covered using various cleaners and the reasoning why. Carbs should be precleaned before putting in the ultrasonic cleaner. What type of machines do you have? From where? Used?

Good advice in that thread!!
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks JLawrence08648 thanked for this post
post #4 of 8 Old 03-06-2018, 08:35 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Morning gentlemen
That was a very good piece on ultrasonics thank you . Very informative. My main concern is the precleaning, the parts cleaner I was using is excellent , quite toxic but very effective. and have not had experience with the Berryman cleaner (odor, toxicity etc.) This is the reason I have switched over to ultrasonic in hopes to get away from using a odorous cleaner. My wife gives me he** everytime I come in the house after using it. I guess I will continue to experiment with Simple Green HD (purple) at 80 C and 1/2 hour soak time.
Thank you again.
Snoman110
post #5 of 8 Old 03-06-2018, 09:04 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
Berryman has an odor but not bad, but still an odor. You'd want to use it outdoor or in a basement. I've used it both and in a 1st floor laundry room when she was not around.

SharperTek makes a specific solution for ultrasonic cleaners that will break up the varnish. And this is what concerns me, breaking up, removing the varnish, but inside the holes and passageways. Just as there are different effectiveness of soaps for cleaning your hands, I'm not convinced they attack effectively the hard gas varnish. Dirt, oil, and fresh gas, yes, but not when the volatile components evaporate. So your carburetor looks clean on the outside because the Simple Green is doing a super job cleaning the dirt off the carb but is it breaking down the varnish inside the small passages we don't see. That's what concerns me. How well does Simple Green break down gas varnish.

A 1983 Real John Deere 10hp, 32" w. 12" impeller, 16" auger, 20" high front, cast iron gear box, chains
Gravely Convertible, 12hp Kohler cast iron, 26" width, 600 lbs of cast iron & steel, 2 speed impeller, 4 ground speeds
post #6 of 8 Old 03-06-2018, 10:03 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
How well does Simple Green break down gas varnish.
That's a very good question, manually I use a stainless .020 wire to probe the tiny orifices and for the real small ones I use an acupuncture needle. I haven't had any really dirty messed up carbs yet since I got the ultrasonic cleaner so I'm still in the experimental stage. You've given me some good ideas to peruse and I thank you.
Regards
Snoman110
post #7 of 8 Old 03-06-2018, 10:13 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoman110 View Post
How well does Simple Green break down gas varnish.
That's a very good question, manually I use a stainless .020 wire to probe the tiny orifices and for the real small ones I use an acupuncture needle. I haven't had any really dirty messed up carbs Regards Snoman110
Most of us use a welders torch tip cleaner set to clean the orifices. $2-$3 buys you a set of 10-12 of varying sizes, plus they are slightly abrasive, just barely as not to enlarge the hole, doing a better job.

post #8 of 8 Old 03-06-2018, 11:36 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Very true with the welder tip cleaners. I also use those but the .020 stainless tag wire is good for making a 1mm 90 degree bend to clean up the orifice inside the main nozzle in tecumseh carbs.
Snoman110
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks JLawrence08648 thanked for this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page