LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 03-05-2018, 07:10 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
cub cadet rear accelerator blade jammed

Hi all, I have a cub cadet 3 stage snow blower. we just had a 30+ inch snowstorm here in the northeast. anyway, before i started blowing i noticed the shear pin on the rear accelerator blade(right behind the gearbox) was broken...No problem because i had some that came with the blower. at this point the blade was totally free and spinning on the shaft. So after blowing for a few hours i picked up a rock which jammed between the same blade and the housing and sheared the pin again. only THIS time i can see the remains of the old pin still in the shaft BUT the hole in the blade is offset a bit so I cant punch the old one out. The blade will not move on the shaft no matter what i try. It seems almost like a piece of the old pin is possibly jammed between the bade and the shaft??? I took off the front blade for better access but no luck. Don't want to start hammering on it for fear of damagung anything. any thoughts???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 03-05-2018, 07:21 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 56
Thanks (Received): 62
Likes (Given): 51
Likes (Received): 148
if its a true sheer bolt/pin it should be soft enough for a drill bit thats slightly smaller than the hole to drill it out but u would probably need to remove the whole shaft to get at it.
imo install a rubber impeller mod so rubber brushes up against housing and flings the stone out the chute and not get jammed up.

Bought a dead but now fixed 1980ish craftsman II 10/28....ITS ONE HEAVY BEAST

MY VIDS ON FIXIN HER UP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 11 Old 03-05-2018, 10:06 PM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 158
Likes (Given): 95
Likes (Received): 302

Last edited by jtclays; 03-13-2018 at 06:56 PM.
post #4 of 11 Old 03-05-2018, 10:25 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 512
Thanks (Received): 682
Likes (Given): 3849
Likes (Received): 1480
Garage
to SBF gripnick

You might be right in thinking when the bolt sheared a little nub of it jammed between the accelerator blade hub and shaft. With a punch and a light hammer you should be able to tap it out and maybe that nub will come with it or come loose. Ether way once you get the bolt out you'll need to figure out a way to muscle the accelerator free from the shaft. Hopefully by turning it in the reverse way it spins. If you can't tap it out with reasonable force than I'd go with Vinnycom and drill it out. Disassemble if you have to.

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
post #5 of 11 Old 03-06-2018, 07:03 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 219
Thanks (Received): 9
Likes (Given): 56
Likes (Received): 47
My drive way is all irregular pea gravel and I have a feeling i'm going to get jammed up eventually. Not sure how common that is but sounds like it happens.
post #6 of 11 Old 03-06-2018, 07:31 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 12
Likes (Given): 48
Likes (Received): 44
sounds like the impeller spun a bit and is partly over the shaft hole, if that's the case it most be made to move back in line with the hole so the stub remaining in the shaft can be removed,either with a punch or drill if needed
post #7 of 11 Old 03-06-2018, 07:57 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 48
Thanks (Received): 57
Likes (Given): 129
Likes (Received): 191
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by old ope mechanic View Post
sounds like the impeller spun a bit and is partly over the shaft hole, if that's the case it most be made to move back in line with the hole so the stub remaining in the shaft can be removed,either with a punch or drill if needed
+1 ^^^ You are going to have to find a way to get the blade to rotate further on the shaft so that the shearpin holes once again line up with the shaft.

Aren't these machines with lots of shear pins great ???

Regards, Ted
Current & Past Fleet:
2017 Husqvarna ST224 (SOLD)
2014 Troy-Bilt 2410 w/ Briggs & Stratton 305cc Engine
2003 Ariens ST824LE (SOLD)
1999 Toro PowerShift 824 w/ 318cc OHV Tecumseh Engine
1988 Toro 521 w/ 212cc Predator Engine
1985 Toro 3521 w/ 179cc Powermore Engine (SOLD)
post #8 of 11 Old 03-06-2018, 08:08 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 12
Likes (Given): 48
Likes (Received): 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpenfield View Post
+1 ^^^ You are going to have to find a way to get the blade to rotate further on the shaft so that the shearpin holes once again line up with the shaft.

Aren't these machines with lots of shear pins great ???
OH YES! yet a most have in the newer end machines with soft gears in the auger gear assembly, better a pin than the gear assembly
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Kiss4aFrog liked this post
post #9 of 11 Old 03-06-2018, 02:06 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 512
Thanks (Received): 682
Likes (Given): 3849
Likes (Received): 1480
Garage
I know your pain. Went to use my Troy this morning and found out two of the shear pins were broken but the part in the auger shaft was seized in place. I guess I'll be soaking it in PB Blaster and trying a punch and progressing to a drill if I can't tap them out with the punch.

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
post #10 of 11 Old 03-09-2018, 06:53 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
thanks for the replies

thanks all for the replies.
I was able to angle a drill bit into the holes and drill down the ends of the shear pins a bit . I can now push the pin back and forth within the hole but the blade is still jammed. At this point my best bet I think is to separate the auger housing and remove the gearbox/auger assembly.I saw a you tube video and it actually looked much easier than I thought it would be. I can then work on it on a bench and get a good perspective and drill it out or try a gear puller for the blade....thanks again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page