Carb problem solved, Who needs an ultrasonic cleaner! - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old 03-06-2018, 07:18 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 89
Thanks (Received): 180
Likes (Given): 69
Likes (Received): 409
Garage
Carb problem solved, Who needs an ultrasonic cleaner!

Tomorrow there is impending mix of rain and snow or 6"-8" snow with possibility of 12" in Trenton NJ.

So I started 2 snowblowers, 9hp & 10hp Tecumseh, pleasant when they start up, the 10hp always seem to start more readily, even by hand. In 2017 & 2016 they both got the Berryman soak and ultrasonic cleaner treatment.

A 3rd, 10hp Tecumseh, wouldn't start, only would start with ether but kept dying. I had filled the empty plastic gas tank but evidently there was just a little old gas with some water left in the bowl because of the lack of a push drain. I drained the bowl by loosening the high speed jet, still wouldn't start. This got the "treatment" in February 2016. But since I have no place to keep my equipment other than outside under a tarp, I expect a yearly problem. I removed the carb, took it apart, found the problem, while apart shot carb cleaner up the holes. The problem was the high speed jet (the bottom jet) had just the slightest bit of residue caused by water. I used steel wool on the jet. Put it back together and on. Satisfied it would start. Then afraid. Then hesitant when it started because it was running a little rough. Then relieved when it kept running so smoothly. Ran it through the gears. Moved it to the patio right outside the sliding door. Filled it with gas.

The problem was just a little water residue or "corrosion" on the high speed jet. I probably didn't need to remove the carb, just the high speed jet, but it wasn't snowing yet and I didn't want a problem tomorrow. I had the time, the temps were comfortable to work in.

So who needs an ultrasonic cleaner to clean a carb and get a snowblower running! LOL

1986 Ariens ST522, 5hp, 22"
1995 Murray Craftsman 10hp, 29" w. 12" impeller
A 1983 Real John Deere 10hp, 32" w. 12" impeller, 16" auger, 20" high front, cast iron gear box, chains
Noma 9hp, 27" w. 12" impeller
Noma 5hp, 24" w. 12" impeller, 20" high front
Gravely Convertible, 12hp Kohler cast iron, 26" width, 600 lbs of cast iron & steel, 2 speed impeller, 4 ground speeds
Dynamark 8hp, 26", 12" impeller, for sale
Several other 5hp, 8hp, several 2 cycle, all for sale

Last edited by JLawrence08648; 03-06-2018 at 08:09 PM.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes aldfam4, Grunt liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 03-06-2018, 07:47 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 213
Thanks (Received): 293
Likes (Given): 1655
Likes (Received): 584
i'll just send you my carbs

current machines
1-toro2450E-38419. 1-toro3000E-38435. 1-toro 3650E-38445
2-toro 521E-38052. 1-toro xl824pt 38086
1-.............,TORO XL 624ps..............
1-............, TORO XL 824ps..............
william
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes aldfam4 liked this post
post #3 of 19 Old 03-06-2018, 08:17 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 694
Thanks (Received): 186
Likes (Given): 1113
Likes (Received): 1119
Garage
I got a HS928 started today that the owner hasn't been able to start in 3 years and took it to two other people to try to get it running.

the carb was a mess, corrosion , brown stuff in the bowl and in the side thingy. can't remember the name of it. took some time and patience but i cleaned it all out, ran wires thru the holes, cleaned the corrosion , and then used compressed air.( after carb cleaner )

added new gas treated with stable and some seafoam.

it started but ran a little rough at first and i could not put the throttle on fast or else it would almost stall. so i put it on slow and let it run for about 15 minutes and then tried fast throttle. it worked fine. gave it a thorough work out at all different speeds. then shut it off and restarted about 5-6 times.

no problems. so i guess this neophyte got lucky this time. owner was astounded and i just shrugged.

"It Feels Like Beer O'Clock "
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 3 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes aldfam4, Grunt, detdrbuzzard liked this post
post #4 of 19 Old 03-07-2018, 12:36 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 59
Thanks (Received): 55
Likes (Given): 110
Likes (Received): 74
Just curious....with all the time you had to put in to it..... would it have been cheaper to buy a new aftermarket carb?

Current machines
Ariens 926LE

Yard Machine 22" upgraded with 6.5 HP Predator
post #5 of 19 Old 03-07-2018, 06:46 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 12
Likes (Given): 48
Likes (Received): 44
ultrasonic cleaner was the most used tool in our old shop. it's a life saver.
as to replacing the carb being easier, yes it is esp with all these made in china clones being so cheap,

yet it's a day before a storm .one finds the motor won't start, you find you have a gummed up/dirty carb, ebay or amazon will take a few days to get one to you, chances are high and with you, that the gaskets can be reused . a 4 buck can of carb cleaner, a old set of guitar strings or welding tip cleaners . clean it up, flush it out, and back to running, order a new carb latter and make the machine ready again after you really need it .

IMM it's a matter of the word NOW! who can wait for a replacement to arrive when you need now. not a week latter,

another is don't leave the spare gas can on the floor.elevate it like a battery, cold floors help make condensation in the can which being heavier than gasoline comes out of the can first. way to many machines came into my old shop, whose owners said i just filled it, now it won't start, bingo H2O in the can from poorly stored gas.
Post Thanks / Like - 3 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks tdipaul, detdrbuzzard, orangputeh thanked for this post
Likes guybb3 liked this post
post #6 of 19 Old 03-07-2018, 09:56 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toro-8-2-4 View Post
Just curious....with all the time you had to put in to it..... would it have been cheaper to buy a new aftermarket carb?
Some would especially if they are unfamiliar with the inner workings and how a carb works. This was simple, whether replaced with a Chinese carb, the removal and replacement time is the same. This was just a matter of a few more minutes to unscrew the two jets, look at them, clean one jet with fine steel wool; with the high speed jet removed, the fuel bowl just popped off to look inside at that, then seconds to spray a carb cleaner in the holes.

I prefer not to use the Chinese carbs as the finish, inside and out, it's not as good as the original thus deteriorates when exposed to the weather and water in the gas.

A 1983 Real John Deere 10hp, 32" w. 12" impeller, 16" auger, 20" high front, cast iron gear box, chains
Gravely Convertible, 12hp Kohler cast iron, 26" width, 600 lbs of cast iron & steel, 2 speed impeller, 4 ground speeds
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes tadawson, detdrbuzzard liked this post
post #7 of 19 Old 03-07-2018, 10:04 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by detdrbuzzard View Post
i'll just send you my carbs
I know you are being politely sarcastic and that's ok. Were you referring sarcastically to sending your carbs to me for cleaning to be sent back to you? Because this gives me a thought and I will post this, if you have a selection of carbs, several, I would pay for the postage for you to send them to me, not to get back to you, I would clean them in my ultrasonic cleaner, ready to be put on when needed. So I would have a bunch of spares.

Likes detdrbuzzard liked this post
post #8 of 19 Old 03-07-2018, 10:22 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 12
Thanks (Received): 112
Likes (Given): 116
Likes (Received): 254
I have spare carbs on the shelf, but also have a spare snow blower lol
No you really donít NEED a ultrasonic but when your going through a machine I just toss carb parts in and work on the rest of the machine, when Iím done doing what ever I worked on I put the carb back together and all is good and no time taken cleaning the carb by hand.

Sno-Tek Modded, 15"X-Track tires (Now has same X-Track tires but 13"x4" for better fit), 254cc engine LED light and hand warmers.
Snapper 6/22 sold but not forgotten. Was my first.
Ariens ST1027LE workhorse and going strong.
New 2017 Ariens Deluxe completely rebuilt after losing a fight with a forklift.
post #9 of 19 Old 03-07-2018, 10:23 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 694
Thanks (Received): 186
Likes (Given): 1113
Likes (Received): 1119
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toro-8-2-4 View Post
are u asking me or jlawrence? . you are right , it would be easier to put a new $12 carb on it. The original Honda carbs are much better made that the aftermarkets although I have not seen too much difference performance wise. I have very limited experience with them. The biigest complaint I have with the aftermarket is that you have to leave the choke on a little to prevent hunting ( 3 carbs I have done ) but i noticed after awhile ( break in?? ) that goes away.

I like to go thru a Honda carb for the challenge. Yes. it takes time but I get some satisfaction out of getting a Honda going when others could not. Plus i can't stand waste.

When i need a blower to work fast, I'll throw an aftermarket carb on to get it going. When I have the time , I will go thru the OEM carb and then throw it back on.

crazy? ya, I'm a little obsessive about it.

my father was an aircraft mechanic for 30 years and his favorite saying was " if you going to do anything, then do it right " and he had plaques from the civil service for his outstanding performance that he gave me before he passed. I put them up in the garage to remind me to do things right.

"It Feels Like Beer O'Clock "
Likes Grunt liked this post
post #10 of 19 Old 03-07-2018, 11:28 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
I agree with everything you said. I am the same way with all of this. Honda carbs, hate waste, need a blower now throw a Chinese carb on, the challenge, the satisfaction, obsessive, can't stand sloppy or incomplete work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangputeh View Post
you are right, it would be easier to put a new $12 carb on it. The original Honda carbs are much better made that the aftermarkets although I have not seen too much difference performance wise. I have very limited experience with them. The biigest complaint I have with the aftermarket is that you have to leave the choke on a little to prevent hunting ( 3 carbs I have done ) but i noticed after awhile ( break in?? ) that goes away.

I like to go thru a Honda carb for the challenge. Yes. it takes time but I get some satisfaction out of getting a Honda going when others could not. Plus i can't stand waste.

When i need a blower to work fast, I'll throw an aftermarket carb on to get it going. When I have the time , I will go thru the OEM carb and then throw it back on.

crazy? ya, I'm a little obsessive about it.

my father was an aircraft mechanic for 30 years and his favorite saying was " if you going to do anything, then do it right " and he had plaques from the civil service for his outstanding performance that he gave me before he passed. I put them up in the garage to remind me to do things right.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page