Part number for adjustable carb for LH318SA 156582H - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 03-08-2018, 12:37 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 5
Likes (Given): 14
Likes (Received): 8
Garage
Part number for adjustable carb for LH318SA 156582H

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpenfield View Post
It would be worth a try with the old style (adjustable) carb . . .

Any idea of the part number for adjustable version of 640039? I have a Tecumseh LH318SA 156582H (9.25 hp)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by solsun; 03-08-2018 at 12:40 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 03-08-2018, 04:29 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtclays View Post
If you don't clean the tank AND change the tank to carb line , the new carb is getting crap in it too. If you did swap the supply side and are still getting bog under load, I'd look at the valves or head gasket

Hey jtclays thanks for your response.

I think I should revise my issue to intermittent operation and stalling under load.

Prior to putting on the new oem carb # 640039 from dealer I did below:

Replaced fuel line
Flushed gas tank out with IPA and a small amount of gas.
Installed new spark plug

I looked at the valves through the spark plug socket and there didnít appear to be much carbon build up on the valves. The valves still look silverish not black.

Compression tested at 60lbs., which I understand is normal for this engine as it opens a valve to let the motor kick over easier upon the initial pull.
https://imgur.com/gallery/R3l3Y

Unscrewed gas cap during stall to check for bad gas cap. One post I read here suggested checking this.

Video of my red headed step childís behavior:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1rp...FyoKqAwLivtP9u

Iím starting to think some dirt or leftover metal shaving in the new carb are causing a blockage. After putting the new carb on Iím guessing it ran fine for about 4-5 hours before I started having an issue, which happen to be the same time as our biggest snow fall of the year.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

post #3 of 10 Old 03-08-2018, 08:28 PM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 158
Likes (Given): 95
Likes (Received): 302
Solsun, You mention two different carb numbers, but assuming typos you got the 640349 on there (you typed 640039 in one post). That kind of farting and the 60 compression would have me checking the head gasket and valve clearance, but 60 can be be OK. The way it is intermittent in the "trouble in paradise" video sure seems electrical, though. Have you had the recoil shroud off? It may be worth it to check for a bad flywheel key for giggles, but look for a nest or something playing around with the kill wire from the coil. Usually if it's a bad head gasket or long valve it's consistent. IE it runs vrrrroooom and soon as it hits a load it dies . Your's is all over the place missing. I've had some that had a bad ground setup for the key plug (plastic insert one) you have, but they wouldn't ground out to shut down. I've seen some that the wiring at the handlebars for the key "switch" (actual key in a cylinder) was bad and caused intermittent grounding. Best test is to pull the wire from the inside of the recoil housing leading to a spade under the carb heater box and wrap it in electrical tape. Then start the machine and see if you have the same farting. You can stall out the machine with the choke if it does indeed run fine, or take some pliers and pop off the spark plug boot.

Last edited by sscotsman; 12-08-2018 at 05:05 PM. Reason: restored original post.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks solsun thanked for this post
post #4 of 10 Old 03-09-2018, 12:50 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
Ariens ST824LE for Refurbishment . . .

Quote:
Solsun, You mention two different carb numbers, but assuming typos you got the 640349 on there (you typed 640039 in one post). That kind of farting and the 60 compression would have me checking the head gasket and valve clearance, but 60 can be be OK. The way it is intermittent in the "trouble in paradise" video sure seems electrical, though. Have you had the recoil shroud off? It may be worth it to check for a bad flywheel key for giggles, but look for a nest or something playing around with the kill wire from the coil. Usually if it's a bad head gasket or long valve it's consistent. IE it runs vrrrroooom and soon as it hits a load it dies . Your's is all over the place missing. I've had some that had a bad ground setup for the key plug (plastic insert one) you have, but they wouldn't ground out to shut down. I've seen some that the wiring at the handlebars for the key "switch" (actual key in a cylinder) was bad and caused intermittent grounding. Best test is to pull the wire from the inside of the recoil housing leading to a spade under the carb heater box and wrap it in electrical tape. Then start the machine and see if you have the same farting. You can stall out the machine with the choke if it does indeed run fine, or take some pliers and pop off the spark plug boot.

jtclays,
Youíre correct, I did have a typo on the carb part #, it is 640348 as youíve pointed out.

Ground issue does make sense.

This machine is new to me as of Jan., I havenít removed the recoil shroud. Tonight I did remove the recoil housing as suggested.

Flywheel has a considerable amount of rust. The ground wire was firmly on the ignition, I removed it as suggested. I took a few pictures: https://imgur.com/a/lUxYQ

Is the rust an issue? I assume itís not helping and should sand it off.

It was midnight when finished getting everything taken apart, so I didnít get a chance to fire it up. Tomorrow evening Iíll give it a shot and let you know the result.

Thanks for your help here

Last edited by solsun; 03-09-2018 at 01:03 AM.
post #5 of 10 Old 03-09-2018, 03:04 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
Quote:

jtclays,

Looks like I owe you a few beers! The engine runs good after removing that ground wire at the ignition. In fact it wouldnít stall when I tried choking it, I just closed the gas line.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1kI...5ChLVCXKw0wI-_

Now I just have have to test each wire to see which one is faulty. I guess I could just remove the key portion in full as I can kill it by moving the throttle all the way down.

Thanks again.

post #6 of 10 Old 03-09-2018, 06:46 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 509
Thanks (Received): 679
Likes (Given): 3831
Likes (Received): 1472
Garage

Please don't hijack someone else's thread when it's so easy to make your own.

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 10 Old 03-09-2018, 08:01 PM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Solsun, found the "moved" thread. R

Last edited by jtclays; 03-13-2018 at 06:00 PM.
post #8 of 10 Old 03-09-2018, 10:15 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiss4aFrog View Post

Please don't hijack someone else's thread when it's so easy to make your own.

Roger, wonít happen again.

Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Kiss4aFrog liked this post
post #9 of 10 Old 03-12-2018, 03:49 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
Quote:
Solsun, found the "moved" thread. Rust on the unfinished flywheel is usually never a problem. Just from looking at the pics I probably would loosen the coil mounts and reset them. Loosen pull up on the coil and stick a business card in the gap, rotate the flywheel until the magnets draw the coil down snug evenly. Tighten the mount bolts, rotate the flywheel magnet away from the poles and remove the card. Done for 30 years

Thanks. The gap to the coil is actually still pretty tight but Iíll double check it.

Re: grounding wire
I agree, itís probably the wire connected to the key. Could I by pass the kill key by just disconnecting the wire from where it attaches to the throttle? My throttle also has a kill/ground position.

Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks Windmount thanked for this post
post #10 of 10 Old 03-12-2018, 07:07 PM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
I don't know what's gong on with posts recently, so I'm gonna take a break and hope all is well is with everyone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page