post #1 of 15 Old 03-15-2018, 02:18 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 11
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 1
Loose Blower Attachment

Hi Everyone,

I have an Ariens 11528, Model 924125 Snowblower. The connection between the blower and the main drive unit is no longer stable. I'm not sure what happened, but the holes for the bolts that secure the blower to the main drive unit are larger than the holes. So what's happening is the blower is separating at the top slightly. When the bolts are in the center of the hole, everything works find, but when vibrations causes things to shift, the gears misalign and the belt to come off.

Has anyone else run into this? Right now, I'm thinking of bolting a steel angle bracket to the top off the main drive unit and then bolt it to the blower unit so it doesn't flex anymore. Thoughts/Suggestions?

Appreciate the help.

Thanks - Dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 03-15-2018, 03:24 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 139
Likes (Given): 14
Likes (Received): 327
I don't have that blower, so take this with a grain of salt. Something on that order on a vehicle - enlarged hole. I took some 1/4" plate, drilled the correct size hole and bolted it together properly aligned using longer bolts. Having previously ground it down to bare metal, welded the plates on. You could also weld up the hole and redrill it, but unless you're a purist, I think the previous may be the simplest solution.

In my case it was a shock absorber mount, but once fixed it went another 5-7 years without a problem.

Good luck.
post #3 of 15 Old 03-15-2018, 03:36 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by HCBPH View Post
I don't have that blower, so take this with a grain of salt. Something on that order on a vehicle - enlarged hole. I took some 1/4" plate, drilled the correct size hole and bolted it together properly aligned using longer bolts. Having previously ground it down to bare metal, welded the plates on. You could also weld up the hole and redrill it, but unless you're a purist, I think the previous may be the simplest solution.

In my case it was a shock absorber mount, but once fixed it went another 5-7 years without a problem.

Good luck.
Thank you so much. While I don't have the capability to weld plates on, I'm sure I can find a way to mount the 1/4" plate with the correct size drill hole aligned over the hole. A much better idea that what I was thinking.
post #4 of 15 Old 03-15-2018, 08:58 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 139
Likes (Given): 14
Likes (Received): 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantonDan View Post
Thank you so much. While I don't have the capability to weld plates on, I'm sure I can find a way to mount the 1/4" plate with the correct size drill hole aligned over the hole. A much better idea that what I was thinking.
Maybe align a plate then drill through it in a few spots and tap the holes and screw them together? Or get it together and take it to a machine shop and have them weld it for you. I don't think it would cost that much to do a little welding for you.
post #5 of 15 Old 03-17-2018, 02:42 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Hi Everyone,

I have an Ariens 11528, Model 924125 Snowblower. The connection between the blower and the main drive unit is no longer stable. I'm not sure what happened, but the holes for the bolts that secure the blower to the main drive unit are larger than the holes. So what's happening is the blower is separating at the top slightly. When the bolts are in the center of the hole, everything works find, but when vibrations causes things to shift, the gears misalign and the belt to come off.

Has anyone else run into this? Right now, I'm thinking of bolting a steel angle bracket to the top off the main drive unit and then bolt it to the blower unit so it doesn't flex anymore. Thoughts/Suggestions?

Appreciate the help.

Thanks - Dan

I wanted to provide a picture of whatís going on before I try my own patch. Has anyone run into the bolt holes for the blower attachment are worn and now larger causing the belts to misalign? How did you fix?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #6 of 15 Old 03-17-2018, 02:51 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 29
Thanks (Received): 86
Likes (Given): 61
Likes (Received): 193
Garage
There isnt anything wrong with those holes tighten the bolts more or get new bolts
post #7 of 15 Old 03-17-2018, 03:06 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1132le View Post
There isnt anything wrong with those holes tighten the bolts more or get new bolts

The issue is the holes have become much larger than the bolts due to wear. When the bolts are touching the side of the hole, the gear pulleys are not aligned and the belt falls off.

post #8 of 15 Old 03-17-2018, 03:32 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 29
Thanks (Received): 86
Likes (Given): 61
Likes (Received): 193
Garage
Quote:
The issue is the holes have become much larger than the bolts due to wear. When the bolts are touching the side of the hole, the gear pulleys are not aligned and the belt falls off.

The holes are the same size as my 924128 get new bolts
the holes are not the issue
post #9 of 15 Old 03-17-2018, 07:56 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1132le View Post
The holes are the same size as my 924128 get new bolts
the holes are not the issue

I tried new bolts, same issue. Whatís happening is as the snowblower vinbrates, the connection slides because the hole has stretched. If you zoom the picture, you can see the hole is much larger compared to the day I bought the machine.

post #10 of 15 Old 03-17-2018, 08:06 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 100
Thanks (Received): 81
Likes (Given): 81
Likes (Received): 399
Maybe drill the holes out so the next larger size bolt fits snug, and use lock washers or locknuts for assembly.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page