Ariens 924 odd auger drive and retrofit? - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 03-16-2018, 02:36 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 1
Ariens 924 odd auger drive and retrofit?

Hi All! Former professional small engine mechanic, now amateur tinkerer and generally cheap **** here. I've got an Ariens 924032, and Scot Lawrence might be interested to know it has a 24in teardrop bucket This poor thing was dropped off the back of a truck or something at some point, when I got it it didn't run, and it was mangled - the handlebars and transmission case were both badly damaged. I straightened out the damage as best as I could, swapped on the rebuilt engine from my 910008 with a seized transmission, oiled and greased everything, and after 20 minutes running the auger case broke. I suspect it was cracked from whatever damaged everything else, and broke under stress. Yes, it was full of gear oil, as the smell and stain in my garage will now attest. The worm gear was damaged, although not badly, so I may just deburr it and install the shaft from the 924 into the case from the 910 (aka 10,000 series) and run it until it breaks.

Anyways, one thing I immediately noticed is that the gearing is a different style from what you normally see in a snowblower, it looks more like a ring and pinion then the typical worm gear arrangement. Does this tend to be stronger, weaker, or just more expensive to manufacturer then the typical modern worm gear? Has anyone ever tried to retrofit a transmission like this one into one of these cast iron case machines?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-16-2018, 09:08 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 108
Thanks (Received): 164
Likes (Given): 347
Likes (Received): 649
10000 series has a splined shaft.
post #3 of 6 Old 03-16-2018, 10:42 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackmels View Post
10000 series has a splined shaft.
I know. I'm going to use the worm gear shaft from the 924 with the gear case and "ring gear" from the 10000, assuming I can clean the worm gear up enough to not wipe both out, and I don't find a replacement for cheap.

Last edited by justcoz; 03-16-2018 at 10:46 AM.
post #4 of 6 Old 03-16-2018, 11:41 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 72
Thanks (Received): 172
Likes (Given): 63
Likes (Received): 585
I was thinking that the splined shaft from the 10000 series if the right length could accept a pulley, and use a keyway in the spline.
post #5 of 6 Old 03-18-2018, 12:42 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 108
Thanks (Received): 164
Likes (Given): 347
Likes (Received): 649
Quote:
Originally Posted by cranman View Post
I was thinking that the splined shaft from the 10000 series if the right length could accept a pulley, and use a keyway in the spline.
I'm Sure It Could be Made to Work with some "Yankee Ingenuity"....
post #6 of 6 Old 03-18-2018, 03:55 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
I was thinking the same thing while on the road Friday. It looks like the 10000 shaft is longer then the 924000. The rear augers (and housings) are a different shape, but it looks like the spacing from the rear gear case bearing to the roll pin and between the roll pins is the same - measured with a measuring tape, around that big nut, so not a precise measurement, but close enough to be encouraging. The key in the 924 pulley is a woodruff key, and the splines are a bit too big even for a straight key, but with some welding or even JB Weld I think it could be made to work. In my case though, I think it would be a lot more work to pull the rusty rear augers off the rusty shafts then to clean up the 924 gear - or even just see if I can find a new shaft. Or maybe just another snowblower for cheap and use this one for parts, although I hate to do that. I guess what I do will depend on weather or not I can get my JD working, and if we get any more snow!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page