LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 03-18-2018, 08:57 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Craftsman auger shaft keyhole

Replacing worm gear on auger shaft. Cannot get gear on key due to protruding metal next to keyhole. Looks like it came that way from the factory - cannot figure out how the gear fits on both the key and the protruding metal. the key fits perfectly when the gear is NOT on the shaft; the gear slides on the shaft and can be coaxed over the protruding metal but there is no way to slide the key in or hold in in place and slide the key over it AND the metal.

suggestions?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 03-18-2018, 09:02 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 12
Thanks (Received): 100
Likes (Given): 101
Likes (Received): 243
pics may be helpful as I am not sure what protruding metal you are referring to, Have changed a few of those gears too and no protruding metal I can remember. Have one here to put back together also.

Sno-Tek Modded, 15"X-Track tires (Now has same X-Track tires but 13"x4" for better fit), 254cc engine LED light and hand warmers.
Snapper 6/22 sold but not forgotten. Was my first.
Ariens ST1027LE workhorse and going strong.
New 2017 Ariens Deluxe completely rebuilt after losing a fight with a forklift.
post #3 of 4 Old 03-18-2018, 11:41 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 52
Thanks (Received): 53
Likes (Given): 105
Likes (Received): 72
Is it a burr that was raise in the removal process? If so just file it down or use a Dremel tool.
It is a woodruff key? Half round? It should fit tight. clean the shaft good and make sure there is not any debris in the keyway. Sometimes you may have to scrap it with a pick or small flat screw driver to make sure it is clean. A little bit of lube is helpful to help in the assembly. As I said it should fit tight. Sometimes I tap the key into the keyway with a ball peen hammer to make sure it is seated fully. That may be all you need to do.

Last edited by Toro-8-2-4; 03-18-2018 at 11:44 PM.
post #4 of 4 Old 03-19-2018, 06:37 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 137
Likes (Given): 14
Likes (Received): 322
Without a picture or model, it's hard to confirm suspicions. I assume your shaft looks similar to the one in this picture. If so I would expect it to be uniform diameter along the full length of it. It is possible if something happened to the shaft during machining or even better if during whatever caused the need for replacement of the auger gear, if some metal was raised it's not as it should be.
If everything checks out, take a flat file and smooth the shaft down to be uniform the full length. The gear should slide down the full length of the shaft. Might need to tap it over the key but otherwise it should slide.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Auger_Gearbox.JPG
Views:	24
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	138673  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page