post #1 of 12 Old 03-19-2018, 01:12 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Auger gearbox question.

Hello:

I am repairing an Ariens 824 auger gearbox... The circular gear is toast... I will replace that... The worm gear is, I think marginal... Not sure if I should bother with the repair because if I need a worm gear then the 20 year old machine is not worth fixing... Here are some pictures of the worm gear.

If anyone has some experience with these repairs; I would love to hear your opinion on this worm gear..... Is it toast too? Do you think it is serviceable ? Or is it smarter to just move on? Thank you for your help with this decision!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180315_150239707.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	103.2 KB
ID:	138729   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180315_150203483.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	213.3 KB
ID:	138737   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180315_150230732.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	122.9 KB
ID:	138745  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 03-19-2018, 01:54 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 84
Likes (Given): 20
Likes (Received): 206
Ariens recommends that you replace both of those parts together. Seems to me that it is usually the brass gear that gets trashed and the shaft seems to look pristine. For that reason, I just replaced the brass gear on an older machine that I had, and it seemed to cause no issues. You will probably have a tough time finding just the brass gear, but if you can get that at a decent price, seems like a worthwhile investment. Depends on what the rest of the machine looks like. Only you can attach a value to do the "benefit to cost" analysis.

One way to look at it, right now the machine is worth close to zero, and with an investment in time and parts, it will be worth $x.
post #3 of 12 Old 03-19-2018, 02:03 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 72
Thanks (Received): 86
Likes (Given): 75
Likes (Received): 156
NOPE, NOPE, NOPE, NOPE.

The trouble started when the worm gear support bushings failed allowing the worm gear to dig into the spur gear.

There is no way to reuse the worm or spur gear period. IF the worm gear was good it would come to a narrow peak on each peak. The spur gear is toast as the worm gear has dug into each gear tooth of the spur gear.

If your adventurous see if a new gearbox is available be sure to order it complete with the cross shaft.

I would spend a lot of time on the phone and provide them with the serial number of the snow caster and also ask if the new cross shaft will fit the auger bores of the left and right cross augers.

If they have the identical parts available plus the bronze bushings for the cross shaft support I would ask how much they are
and then decide whether to order them and rebuild the engine or replace it with a larger engine.

A new gear box will save you a lot of grief.
post #4 of 12 Old 03-19-2018, 04:17 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 84
Likes (Given): 20
Likes (Received): 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by leonz View Post
NOPE, NOPE, NOPE, NOPE.

There is no way to reuse the worm or spur gear period. IF the worm gear was good it would come to a narrow peak on each peak. The spur gear is toast as the worm gear has dug into each gear tooth of the spur gear.
Apparently my ST824 never read your post, because as I said, I only replaced brass gear, and ran it for another 5 years with zero problems, and then I finally sold it. I believe that mine failed because the auger was rusted to the shaft, and the sheer bolts were not able to do their job after munching up some ice at my EOD, and the brass gear got trashed, and the steel worm shaft is probably still in operation today. Maybe mine was built different than the one you are describing, because the gear was pretty soft, and the steel was pretty hard.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Jackmels liked this post
post #5 of 12 Old 03-19-2018, 06:02 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 98
Thanks (Received): 151
Likes (Given): 290
Likes (Received): 599
Perhaps the OP can find a Parts Machine, and swap the auger out.
post #6 of 12 Old 03-19-2018, 06:07 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 16
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 20
Ideally you would replace both as a set, but looking at the pic, the worm shaft really doesn't look too bad. It's a snowblower after all, not a Swiss watch.
post #7 of 12 Old 03-19-2018, 07:09 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 4
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 6
It looks like the height of the teeth on that worm are shaved down a bit. Can you re-use it? Maybe. But snow machinery never dies on a summer day. They die when under extreme stress. How important is that machine when there is 18 inches of heavy wet snow in your way. And your thrifty repair fails in the first 2 minutes of heavy use.

I think this might be your gears and assembly:

Whole assembly: www.jackssmallengines.com/jacks-parts-lookup/part/ariens/52101000
Shaft/Gear: www.jackssmallengines.com/jacks-parts-lookup/part/ariens/52100900

That + lube+tax+delivery would be less than $100 or $200 and you'll never have that problem again. Or, for $1,000 more, get a new machine.

Leonz above may be correct that your bushings are worn and possibly the case itself is worn. The whole assembly may be worth it if your budget can deal with it.

Remember, when repairing critical machines or parts...expensive is cheap, and cheap is expensive.
post #8 of 12 Old 03-19-2018, 07:25 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 17
Likes (Given): 36
Likes (Received): 34
you can buy a brand new cast iron gearbox for around 250. if this your personal blower i would recommend investing in the gearbox as nothing you can buy nowadays is nearly the same quality
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes guybb3 liked this post
post #9 of 12 Old 03-19-2018, 08:26 PM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 33
Likes (Given): 28
Likes (Received): 68
The one turn in the middle of worm where gear contacts is badly worn and will deform a new gear quickly.
post #10 of 12 Old 03-19-2018, 11:39 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 52
Thanks (Received): 53
Likes (Given): 105
Likes (Received): 72
It is tough to tell from the pic how worn the steel worm may be. As already said, I would bet the support bushing is worn....probably egg shaped. At best you need a new Brass worm gear and a new support bushing. At worst you would also throw in a new steel worm shaft.

What Jackmels said may be your most economical way out. Look for a parts machine or a used assembly on Ebay or someplace similar.
The labor to rebuild it is not bad....it is the cost and availability of the parts that will kill you.
I would start by pricing out the parts to base line a new rebuild cost and make your decisions from there..Those part prices on the post by Spanker look pretty good and if those are your parts go for it. If not, I bet you could salvage the worm shaft. If there are any sharp edges on it just file them smooth. If you fix the root cause of the wear, which I assume is a bad support bearing. You could be good to go for a long while.

Also.... how was the lube.? Is it oil or grease? If a thick grease like a #2 you could upgrade to a #00 grease or possibly a 90 Wt gear oil if the seals are good.
Good Luck.

Current machines
Ariens 926LE

Yard Machine 22" upgraded with 6.5 HP Predator

Last edited by Toro-8-2-4; 03-19-2018 at 11:47 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page