Possible making electric chute rotator power from light feed? - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 03-19-2018, 08:23 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Possible making electric chute rotator power from light feed?

Hello all,
1st post. Own Craftsman model 247.88790 and looking to see the possibilities of using the power feed from the lighting coil to power a car power window motor (as seen on many youtube videos) to move the chute. The videos all power with a 12-18 volt DC power tool battery. The lighting feed puts out 17 volts AC. I guessing that would have to be converted to DC to operating the car window motor? Any thoughts are welcome.

Please take this the right way..I can't believe I joined a snow blower forum. My daughter (16 y/o) almost disowned me when i showed her (not cool department). I'm thinking what has my life come to ...a snow blower forum? Maybe I should get out more? lol. But I have no regrets thus far. Read a bunch of posts, got some good ideas, see the wealth of knowledge here. But I'm still not telling any friends... lol. Thanks in advance for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 03-19-2018, 08:37 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 103
Thanks (Received): 375
Likes (Given): 466
Likes (Received): 477
You need to find out how many watts or amps the light coil produces, you probably can if it produces enough amps.
You'll need a regulator/rectifier added to the circuit to covert AC to DC and maintain 12-15V
post #3 of 4 Old 03-19-2018, 08:53 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 118
Thanks (Received): 277
Likes (Given): 358
Likes (Received): 632
Welcome to the forum! Embrace the shame There's a lot of good info here.

Using a battery helps ensure a sufficient supply of amps/watts when needed. Depending on your motor amperage/wattage draw, just the lighting coil may not be able to supply enough power.

One possibility could be a battery, connected to the coil, after converting the AC to DC, as you said. The coil could help keep the battery charged while running, and the battery could supply a bunch of amps when required. Any time you aren't turning the chute, the coil would be charging the battery.

This assumes that what the coil is putting out is a suitable voltage for keeping the battery charged, however. If you converted the coil's output to DC, you could also use a DC->DC voltage regulator to reduce the voltage to something like 13V, if you opted to use a 12V lead-acid battery.

To be honest, just using a battery is probably simpler, and stick it on the charger between uses. And for conversions like these, people have mentioned keeping some way to control it manually. If, during a storm, the motor fails, a wire comes loose, etc, you don't want to realize you've gone from a manual chute control, to NO chute control, because the motor won't turn the chute.

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Power Clear 221QR
Toro Power Curve 1800
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Grunt liked this post
post #4 of 4 Old 03-19-2018, 08:56 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 4
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 6
Two 6V SLA batteries wired in series should be plenty of power. Then trickle charge them. I use two of them for starting in a Toro 21 Personal Pace lawn mower. They are $15-$20 each, depending on Amp hrs. Or a motorcycle battery if you have the mounting space.

Remember, when repairing critical items...expensive is cheap, and cheap is expensive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page