LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 03-27-2018, 03:53 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 68
Thanks (Received): 10
Likes (Given): 97
Likes (Received): 110
Garage
Cool Poly Shoes for Ariens with Autoturn?

I recently bought an Ariens ST28LE, and love it, but am not completely happy with my Autoturn feature. Although it's not horrible, I find myself wrestling with the big machine, to keep it from wandering. Right now, I am 54, strong, and in good health.But, fast forward 15 years, and it might beat me up. So, I was considering different shoes....Armour Skids which look incredible, or the Poly Shoes. Well I walked into my Home Depot store this morning to find them clearing out 3 pairs of Poly Shoes at $36 per pair. So, they are on the machine now, but will probably have to wait until next year to try them. I am looking for success stories from people who have tried the Poly shoes, to some degree of improvement?

Life is short, so if you don't have the strength to laugh at yourself,
call me.....I'll laugh at you!
2014 Ariens Deluxe 28 with 291 CC Engine
2011 John Deere JS36 Self Propelled Mower
Too many Craftsman Mechanic/Yard tools to mention
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 03-28-2018, 05:00 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 48
Thanks (Received): 100
Likes (Given): 56
Likes (Received): 99
I am 73 and use my blower to clear 8 driveways with my 4 year old 2015 Ariens Platinum 30 SHO. It had the poly shoes from new because some neighbours have paver driveways or part pavers that I feared could be marked by steel shoes since the Ariens is heavier on the bucket than my previous machines. The AutoTurn is excellent, tracks straight and turns very easily yet drives both wheels strongly. It works on smooth or rough surfaces or uneven surfaces; three driveways have recently been asphalt paved and the one paver driveway are all smooth, but the remaining 4 are rough with heaves and broken pavement and generally rough surfaces. Then there are the 270 ft of EOD that are no problem at all no matter the snow or slush conditions.

I have tried all the drive systems, open differential, locked axle, axle clutch levers, and AutoTurn is by far the best since it is quite seamless in its operation and flawless. It works in forward or reverse or in neutral (drive clutch disengaged) so it is perfect. Your polyskids are a very good investment, and you will be able to use your machine for much longer than you currently think.

2015 Ariens Platinum 30 SHO - model 921040
post #3 of 13 Old 03-28-2018, 06:43 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
Thank you Town! Your comment makes me feel better, for sure.
Stepping back and having a close look at both sets of shoes, seeing the wear on the steel shoes ( only about 40% of both shoes showed wear) says that the steel was really biting against the concrete. Some of what I have learned is that resistance is the factor that will affect Autoturn the most. So, if the shoes are really biting into the surface, once it contacts a ridge/bump/hole etc....the Autoturn kicks in, and does what it is supposed to do. But, with a larger, smoother surface area on the ground using Poly Shoes, meaning less resistance, hopefully it will be a smoother ride.I know one fact, pushing my blower around on my concrete garage floor was much easier with the Poly Shoes, than the steel ones. One point I read on this forum ( sorry,can't remember who said it), which is a very good point, is that we will have to be more vigilant in checking the scraper bar clearance as the shoes wear down,therefore bringing the scraper bar closer to the surface.
Now....if I could just get one more good storm here in Saskatchewan, to try it out!

post #4 of 13 Old 03-28-2018, 08:24 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 52
Thanks (Received): 124
Likes (Given): 78
Likes (Received): 167
I use the poly skids on my machine and they work well, I have a good condition asphalt driveway. If I had a rough condition driveway or gravel I would go with the ArmorSkids. Best of luck with the poly skid shoes and let us know how they work once you have a chance to use them.

Ariens Platinum 24 SHO w/369cc carbureted LCT motor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks Cutter thanked for this post
Likes Cutter liked this post
post #5 of 13 Old 03-29-2018, 06:08 AM
cuz

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 6
The Poly Shoes I found at Home Depot say they are for a Toro blower. Will they also fit Ariens?

How do they compare to Armour skids? I will be getting a Platinum 30 or Pro 28 blower for next season and want to know which non-steel skids I should get.

Thanks.
post #6 of 13 Old 03-29-2018, 10:29 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 48
Thanks (Received): 100
Likes (Given): 56
Likes (Received): 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuz View Post
The Poly Shoes I found at Home Depot say they are for a Toro blower. Will they also fit Ariens?

How do they compare to Armour skids? I will be getting a Platinum 30 or Pro 28 blower for next season and want to know which non-steel skids I should get.

Thanks.
Ariens dealers sell the poly skid shoes for the Platinum and the Pro models. The mounting bolts are on 3" centers, but the bucket sides have strengthening ribs forward and back of the poly skid shoes. So there is an overall length issue too, unless you have spacers to move the skid shoes out ward to clear the ribs.

Home Depot in Canada carry the Ariens poly skid shoes and the steel skid shoes here: https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.n...000664590.html that includes the hardware.

2015 Ariens Platinum 30 SHO - model 921040
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Blackstar liked this post
post #7 of 13 Old 03-29-2018, 05:12 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardo111 View Post
I use the poly skids on my machine and they work well, I have a good condition asphalt driveway. If I had a rough condition driveway or gravel I would go with the ArmorSkids. Best of luck with the poly skid shoes and let us know how they work once you have a chance to use them.
Well, today I had a "minor " experience with the new Poly shoes, but it re-enforced my trust in what Town had said earlier. Came home to about 3/4 " of light snow, just enough to try out my new shoes.My neighbors thought I was nuts, but I had a real reason to play. As a test, I did not start my blower, and simply let it slide down my medium sloped driveway. It slid easily by itself, and went in a straight line to the street. Very little resistance, with the new shoes on.I tried this before with the stock steel shoes on, and the blower simply sat there. So, I am sure the new shoes will be easier on the blower itself. To make sure my neighbors knew I was nuts, I started it, and cleaned my driveway off, and it worked great. Easy to control....no fighting with the machine. And, spins on a dime.
Now, I will need a decent snowfall to really experience it, but I think I can put it away, knowing my blower and I will be longtime friends.
Likes Blackstar liked this post
post #8 of 13 Old 03-29-2018, 05:17 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
There was no mistake when I bought mine from Home Depot....they came in an Ariens Orange Box. They also sell ones for Toro, which I would expect to be in red , or red and white packaging. However,they were out of the Toro ones that day anyway.

post #9 of 13 Old 03-29-2018, 05:21 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
Neighbor lady stopped and asked if I really needed to use my snowblower with only 3/4 " of snow? Really she said?
"Yep", I replied, in John Wayne fashion...."no need to make my new snow shovel dirty."
Hmmhffffff!
Oh well.

Likes guybb3 liked this post
post #10 of 13 Old 03-29-2018, 05:26 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 5
Likes (Given): 95
Likes (Received): 18
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Town View Post
Home Depot in Canada carry the Ariens poly skid shoes and the steel skid shoes here: https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.n...000664590.html that includes the hardware.
They don't list my model there. 921040. When I searched for my model it couldn't find it. Do you know if there is a difference that would make these not fit my blower?

Thanks

Ariens Platinum 30 SHO- AX414, 20.0 lb.ft torque.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page