Are You Doing Your Repairs Now? or Waiting To Be Caught With Your Pants Down? - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 04-09-2018, 09:00 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 88
Thanks (Received): 174
Likes (Given): 68
Likes (Received): 406
Garage
Are You Doing Your Repairs Now? or Waiting To Be Caught With Your Pants Down?

Boy, it's a rush now and I'm being squeezed between house projects, outdoor activities, my mowers, customer mowers, getting mowers ready for sale, and getting my snowblower ready for next year with the repairs and improvements I want to make.

I still remember some of the times I have been caught with my pants down because of my procrastination! working outside with no shed, no garage, in 10 degree cold, or snow falling! and 24" expected!!! while I'm making repairs, fixing an float inlet valve leak, replacing a carburetor, replacing an unusable belt, replacing a broken cable, wondering why a snowblower doesn't start?

I hate it!

So I do my best to do my repairs now, this time of year, and I've been pretty good doing that. At least I get most of my snowblowers working, (I think, maybe).

Right now I'm working replacing the rectangular exit chute on my Murray Craftsman 10/29", My primary snowblower. I love it because it starts on the 1st pull without using the electric starter. I need to wire brush, oil prime and oil paint it, install an impeller kit. I have 2 frozen wheels on the axle which I have to install my home made wheel puller and heat with my torch. I had run out of gas last year and both my tanks had to be tested before being refilled. And I have to heat and bang out a stuck 1/4" wheel axle pin at the end, tough to get too.

I also have frozen wheels on a 5/24" Murray Noma that I couldn't pull off with my puller and need to heat with my torch. I have to put the carburetor I rebuilt back on, hasn't been on since the Fall when I was getting it ready for the winter! and never put it back on again after the rebuild. Another procrastination project I have to admit to. Leaves came down, work, other snowblowers needed work done.

I have a 1986 Ariens ST522 that needs the drive cable replaced, the carburetor, and an impeller kit, I'm going to keep this as I've had it for 15 years and it's gotten me through some 24" snows! A nice machine, one of my personal oldest machines I bought used 15 years ago for $75 from a neighbor across the street who bought it used or got it for free and used it for a year or two.

I have a 1983 real John Deere 10/32" (manufacturered by Ariens for John Deere using John Deere's design) I bought for $50 from a neighbor across the street, who got it for free! that I'm getting ready to do a complete tuneup on, lube,, install the impeller kit, order and replace the auger belt, and drill and install 4 zerk (grease) fittings (It has none! Why?). I want to replace the 80w gearbox oil but in order to do this, the easiest way is to remove the auger housing from the tractor, remove the filler plug, and turn the auger housing upside down. There is no drain plug! I could remove the 5 bolts that hold the side plate to the gear box housing but then I'm taking a chance on developing a gasket leak as it's been on there probably since the machine was built.

I have a Murray Dynamax 8/26" that both adjustment bolts for the auger and drive cables which are located inside a spring are frozen and there is too much tension on the handles causing your hands to be tired. They are not levers that you hold down with your palms, they are L shaped handles that grip around a top cross bar. Nice idea but tiring to hold down. I use a clamp to hold them down. But it's a nice throwing machine and always starts. I use it as a backup.

I have a very nice and little used, beautiful Murray Noma 9/27" that the drive belt broke this winter while using, burned up, I think it came off and got caught and burned. When I replaced it, it keeps coming off the large bottom drive pulley as if something is not lined up, Why I don't know. I've looked at it and keep getting frustrated. I can see it coming off when I pull the starter cord. The idler pulley bearing is good, no wobble, looks like things are lined up. I don't know why.

Wife is bothering me to replace the sheetrock den's ceiling, paneling on the walls, then lay down laminate flooring. I have to fix an electrical short for the refrigerator and stove's exhaust fan, and I have to finish moving gas, water, and sewer pipes around in the laundry room. Procrastinate? I'm not trying to! Then there's the garage to clean up, getting 20 mowers ready for sale. I need to go out of the used mower blower business. Not enough money in it, I put too much work in on these machines getting them absolutely ready, too hard to sell in my area, takes too much of my time and the yard is a mess. No time to go road biking or MTB with friends!!!

1986 Ariens ST522, 5hp, 22"
1995 Murray Craftsman 10hp, 29" w. 12" impeller
A 1983 Real John Deere 10hp, 32" w. 12" impeller, 16" auger, 20" high front, cast iron gear box, chains
Noma 9hp, 27" w. 12" impeller
Noma 5hp, 24" w. 12" impeller, 20" high front
Gravely Convertible, 12hp Kohler cast iron, 26" width, 600 lbs of cast iron & steel, 2 speed impeller, 4 ground speeds
Dynamark 8hp, 26", 12" impeller, for sale
Several other 5hp, 8hp, several 2 cycle, all for sale
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Grunt liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 04-09-2018, 10:13 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 45
Likes (Given): 52
Likes (Received): 154
i procrastinate more than i should some days also. i got about 5 mowers that need 1 thing or another and i might only be selling 1 maybe 2 of them. the rest i will be keeping. only got 1 snowblower that needs a chain link, fuel/oil change but the rest are all pretty much ready to go into storage till next winter. only got 2 snowblowers to sell as of right now. this was just a crappy year for trying to sell this stuff since we never really got hit with anything near what we have some years. i also got my atv that i still need to fix the brakes on and get the thing rewired. it is pretty big electrical mess. it would be nice to get it fixed up and working as it should so i can let my niece and nephew drive it. it would also be nice to get it completely re-assembled so i can get all the body panels out of storage.

arien 520 snow blower 6.5hp swap
yardworks 31AH6WKF515
post #3 of 11 Old 04-09-2018, 10:17 AM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 509
Thanks (Received): 680
Likes (Given): 3834
Likes (Received): 1474
Garage
I'm waiting till it's warm enough to hold metal tools out in my unheated shed to do any repairs/restoration. Until then I'm working inside the house on the "To Do" list

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Zavie, detdrbuzzard liked this post
post #4 of 11 Old 04-09-2018, 10:44 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 61
Thanks (Received): 156
Likes (Given): 52
Likes (Received): 547
I've got more mowers, blowers and chainsaws ready to sell then I know what to do with, so I'm not worried about getting cut short with a broken one. I am falling behind on cranberry work..but thats cause I don't want to do it, and I'm looking the other way!
post #5 of 11 Old 04-09-2018, 11:16 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 638
Thanks (Received): 160
Likes (Given): 947
Likes (Received): 1027
Garage
I was a huge procrastinator growing up so learned that hard lesson many times. However , I did get caught with my pants down a couple times this past winter having to go out in the garage to work on a blower in freezin conditions.

This spring/summer will have so much yard work and home repairs that it will keep me busy but I told the wife I have to "Make" time for the blowers several hours a week. I'm not like some of you guys that have businesses so it's not so critical.

The main thing I'm doing is installing impeller kits to my blowers, rebuilding a few carbs so all i have to do is switch them if i have to, and having enough spare parts for myself and a few neighbors.

The fun part will be going to garage sales to maybe pick up a parts machine and get some cheap deals on tools for the ever expanding shop in the garage.

I'm a "list" person so am making a list and just attacking each thing in order of priority.

"It Feels Like Beer O'Clock "
post #6 of 11 Old 04-09-2018, 12:33 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 15
Thanks (Received): 64
Likes (Given): 204
Likes (Received): 139
I purchased my first snowblower in August 2012 in preparation for the winter of 2012-2013, and I purchased a 2nd one shortly thereafter.

Both sat for a while, I don't think I had a chance to test either one until we had about a 20" dump of snow. Wouldn't you know it.... the first one needed a carb clean and would not run right. I shrugged and started up #2 and cleared my property.

Once I was done, I cleaned #1's carb and I was back to having 2 running snowblowers again.

#2 in action:

I have had at least two since. This season, I believe I used a different snowblower for each snowstorm (testing out the ones to be sold, for example).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 11 Old 04-10-2018, 11:44 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 31
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 29
Likes (Received): 8
I've summerized my Murray snowblower, wiped it down and touched up any rust spots that were forming. I then hosed it down, as I do every spring, with WD-40. The complete machine.... just soak it good. WD-40 is cheap and it keeps my machine looking good and working good for years now. I just picked up two other blowers... and have both going now with a little work to spend on them then they'll go into storage. My wife says to get rid of them but I kind of get attached to them after working on them so diligently. But I don't need 4 of them I guess. Like I said tho... I summerize them, with fresh oil, drain the gas, adjust everything according to the manual and so far... this hasn't failed me come the first snow fall. I just hope my luck holds out.
post #8 of 11 Old 04-11-2018, 10:24 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 12
Thanks (Received): 101
Likes (Given): 102
Likes (Received): 243
Repair now or pants down HMMM Might just do repairs now WITH my pants down just to be different......

Sno-Tek Modded, 15"X-Track tires (Now has same X-Track tires but 13"x4" for better fit), 254cc engine LED light and hand warmers.
Snapper 6/22 sold but not forgotten. Was my first.
Ariens ST1027LE workhorse and going strong.
New 2017 Ariens Deluxe completely rebuilt after losing a fight with a forklift.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes JLawrence08648, orangputeh liked this post
post #9 of 11 Old 04-11-2018, 10:48 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 638
Thanks (Received): 160
Likes (Given): 947
Likes (Received): 1027
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dauntae View Post
Repair now or pants down HMMM Might just do repairs now WITH my pants down just to be different......
ok, tough guy.........show us

"It Feels Like Beer O'Clock "
Likes JLawrence08648 liked this post
post #10 of 11 Old 04-12-2018, 09:22 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 12
Thanks (Received): 101
Likes (Given): 102
Likes (Received): 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangputeh View Post
ok, tough guy.........show us
I TRIED but kept falling on my face trying to get out to the garage.............

Sno-Tek Modded, 15"X-Track tires (Now has same X-Track tires but 13"x4" for better fit), 254cc engine LED light and hand warmers.
Snapper 6/22 sold but not forgotten. Was my first.
Ariens ST1027LE workhorse and going strong.
New 2017 Ariens Deluxe completely rebuilt after losing a fight with a forklift.
Likes orangputeh liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page