post #1 of 29 Old 04-11-2018, 08:20 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 4
Tecumseh rod through the block

Good morning all
Since all the pros gather here, I'm kind of curious how many have had the famous Tecumseh rod through the block dilemma and did you fix it or just do a re-power? I myself have had maybe 8 over a lot of years and have repaired all except 1 that was too badly damaged to allow for a repair. If you fixed them, how did you do it?

Snoman110
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Buckwheat liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 04-11-2018, 08:42 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 73
Thanks (Received): 70
Likes (Given): 243
Likes (Received): 285

never repaired one and definltely won't now with good running Predator's available for only $99

it changes the entire demeanor of the machine

with some elbow grease, paint, a couple of belts, this engine and an impeller kit, a 70's or 80's rusted hulk can be transformed into a better machine than it was new off the showroom floor.

my .02

1989 John Deere 1032
1979 Toro 5/24 38040 (now a 6.5/24)
2015 Snapper Pro SW30 52" Mower
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Grunt, GustoGuy liked this post
post #3 of 29 Old 04-11-2018, 08:44 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 137
Likes (Given): 14
Likes (Received): 322
Just did one on the Searsasaurus last January. I had just started it and idling it at the time when it went. Had plenty of oil so it was just one of those things apparently. This is the first one for me, though I've bought a couple of holed blocks in the past for parts.
I found another cheap blower with a 10 HP TEC on it. I did have to make a crankshaft extension to fit the length I needed but the rest was just refurbing it . I've since found another 10 HP TEC that's exactly right that I'm going through right now. This one is a match to the original one so I'm thinking about changing it out again later on.

I looked at using a clone I have on the shelf but had too many interference issues at the time. I'm still thinking about using that one on another frame I have in the garage.
post #4 of 29 Old 04-11-2018, 08:49 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 1
TDIPAUL
Does the Predator engines also supply engines with the auxiliary cam shaft drive for the little Ariens?
Snoman110
post #5 of 29 Old 04-11-2018, 08:52 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoman110 View Post
TDIPAUL
Does the Predator engines also supply engines with the auxiliary cam shaft drive for the little Ariens?
Snoman110

Not that I've seen. Single crankshaft only. Now there is a Youtube I saw quite some time ago where someone with access to a machine shop modified one to have a aux shaft but that's the only one I've ever seen.
post #6 of 29 Old 04-11-2018, 09:20 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 27
Likes (Received): 66
If you've got a schematic or nomenclature for the blown Tecumseh Engine and Part Numbers, and if it was a popular engine, I'd consider disassembling it and selling the parts on eBay . . . . "the sum of the parts is greater than the whole".

You wouldn't have to sell many before you'd recovered the cost of the replacement engine.
post #7 of 29 Old 04-11-2018, 09:38 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by HCBPH View Post
Just did one on the Searsasaurus last January. I had just started it and idling it at the time when it went. Had plenty of oil so it was just one of those things apparently. This is the first one for me, though I've bought a couple of holed blocks in the past for parts.
Do you know the history of that engine? If it was ever oversped, run low on oil or simply used the wrong oil, molten aluminum from the rod will start to weld itself onto the crank journal. Once this happens, it only gets worse even if the original cause is addressed. I've taken apart a H60 that hadn't blown but I was expecting it to. The crank had a rough aluminum finish, and the oil hole on the rod was almost blocked off.
Likes classiccat liked this post
post #8 of 29 Old 04-11-2018, 11:10 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 135
Thanks (Received): 266
Likes (Given): 358
Likes (Received): 900
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoman110 View Post
Good morning all
Since all the pros gather here, I'm kind of curious how many have had the famous Tecumseh rod through the block dilemma and did you fix it or just do a re-power? I myself have had maybe 8 over a lot of years and have repaired all except 1 that was too badly damaged to allow for a repair. If you fixed them, how did you do it?

Snoman110
Snoman.. Tecumseh is the Indian word for "Throws a rod".

Joe

Sent from my junky old Hisense 7" tablet that I can barely see.
Toro 724
Toro CCR 3650E
Toro 5/21 sold
Ariens 5/22 ss ..Sold
Ariens Sno Tek 7/24 sold.
Old green plastic snow shovel... Sent.to shovel Heaven
Old quarry shovel for ice.
New.green shovel
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 4 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Kiss4aFrog, tdipaul, gregg, POWERSHIFT93 liked this post
post #9 of 29 Old 04-11-2018, 11:50 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Turmlos

It's my personal blower (The Searsasaurus) I've had for maybe 5-10 years. It's babied in that I give it a good going over in the fall, check the oil religiously and will start it and give it a minute or so to warm up prior to hitting the snow. I've had the chassis fully apart before and been into the top end of the engine too.

Thing is, it's a 40 year old engine so eventually something will fail regardless of what you do IMO. When it failed, it was just over idle and had run maybe a minute or two while I was moving the van. Just heard a bang and saw a puff of the magic smoke escaping.
I'm not hearbroken, I found a replacement (engine that is) in a week or so and now I even have another with the light stator on it just like the one that broke. Been through that one, now I just need to put it on to get the light back.

Last edited by HCBPH; 04-11-2018 at 04:12 PM.
post #10 of 29 Old 04-11-2018, 12:16 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 177
Thanks (Received): 156
Likes (Given): 1632
Likes (Received): 381
I got 2 free machines w/ blown tecs last year; an Ariens and a Toro.

The Ariens needed a new block due to a cracked cam "bearing". Additionally painful b/c it was a dual-output motor and the cam was cracked in half.

On the Toro, I was able patch-up one with a new piston/rod/rings. Today, it runs like nobody's business!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
('72 Sears 3520)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
('89 Toro 824)

('70 Allis-Chalmers Tracker-7)

('80 Toro 724)

('95 Ariens ST724) --> Sold

('71 Ariens 910965 SnoThro 524)
Likes gibbs296 liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page