Got stupid, need help..rake positions... - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 Old 06-21-2018, 07:24 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 1
Got stupid, need help..rake positions...

OK, where to begin. My 1971 Ariens, model 910995 was in need of some TLC, so I decided now would be the best time to pull it apart, sand, prime, and paint the Sno-Thro attachment. So I disassemble, bagging and labeling as I go along. When I got to the rakes, I labeled each one, LH and RH, simple enough. NOT. I can remember whether I labeled them as viewed from the operators position (correct way), or from the front as I was taking them off. Now I do know the u-channel supports open side faces the outside, but from there I am not certain which side goes where?

SO, can anyone please clue me to the correct position, LH or RH of the rakes. Also, is there a "phase" alignment when you lock them to the shaft with the shear pins. In other words, you can rotate the rake on the shaft 180 degrees with regards to locking them into position. Am I over thinking this entire process? I just don't want to put the bloody thing back together only to find out I was wrong when I drag the thing out for the first blizzard of the season.

Comments/suggestions welcome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 06-21-2018, 08:48 PM

Location: nova scotia-south shore - ave annual snowfall 199.4 cm ( 78.5 ")
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 73
Thanks (Received): 157
Likes (Given): 369
Likes (Received): 597
Garage
https://www.snowblowerforum.com/foru...ientation.html

scroll down a bit in the thread, dont worry about phase......if the augers feed the impeller its all good.

24 " 1967? Ariens Sno thro
28 " Ariens Sno Tek
Toro CCR ss
1966 Gravely LI Walk behind with dog eater

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 26 Old 06-21-2018, 09:03 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
nwcove,

Hey neighbor, thanks for the prompt reply and the link. I am going to print the picture (as mentioned, worth a thousand words) and take it to the garage when I assemble. I just wish I thought ahead just a bit when I marked them on disassembly. Now you list the south shore of Nova Scotia, anywhere near Yarmouth? Why, I reside in Yarmouth, ME. Have always thought about grabbing a ferry ride and having a look around. But you know what they say about good intentions.......

Again, thanks for the prompt reply, it certainly helps.
post #4 of 26 Old 06-21-2018, 10:41 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 32
Thanks (Received): 133
Likes (Given): 201
Likes (Received): 283
The phase is typically staggered. Imagine a popcorn eating contest. One handful at a time as you alternate left/right vs. trying to shove both handfuls in your mouth at the same time.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 4 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Grunt, gibbs296, Kiss4aFrog, yohy liked this post
post #5 of 26 Old 06-21-2018, 11:10 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
dbert,

Love the analogy and the explanation. Man if I had only know the mental component of my oversight I would have been far, far more diligent in my disassembly. Again my greatest fear is putting the thing back together, only to find my mistake during a blizzard in December, hence my anal focus on getting it right.
post #6 of 26 Old 06-23-2018, 11:59 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 118
Thanks (Received): 277
Likes (Given): 358
Likes (Received): 633
Don't worry about it too much.

- Augers always rotate so that the edge closest to the snow (furthest from the operator) moves down towards the ground. And the edge closest to the operator moves towards the sky.

- The augers must be mounted so that, when they are rotating in that direction, the edges closest to the snow (furthest from the operator) will be screwing the snow towards the centerline of the machine. Meeting between the two augers, at the auger gearbox.

So maybe put them on the ground in front of the machine, oriented as if they were installed on the augers shaft. Make sure that if they were turning in the proper direction (rolling the augers "forward", away from the operator), that their front edges would be pushing the imaginary snow towards the space between the augers.

If you have their left & right positions swapped, and you do this test (either physically, or mentally), you'll see that the front edges (while rotating down) would push the snow *apart*, towards the outside of the machine. That would be no good to discover in a blizzard But it's straightforward enough to confirm, while re-assembling the machine.

Alternately, just look at snowblower pictures online. From a manufacturer, if you want to be more confident that the machine in the picture is set up correctly. It doesn't really matter what age the machine is, they pretty much all have their augers pitched & rotating in the same direction (there might be exceptions, but I can't think of any that rotate in the other direction).

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Power Clear 221QR
Toro Power Curve 1800
post #7 of 26 Old 06-23-2018, 05:01 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
RedOctobyr,

Hey, thanks for the detailed response. You say "don't worry too much"....I am well beyond that, but thanks to the great forum members, I am feeling a bit more confident. As I have said, I "THOUGHT" I had been careful enough to mark left/right, but forgot to make one critical note, which left/right was I referring to. Ah, lessons learned.

Thanks again for taking the time to respond, it is greatly appreciated.
post #8 of 26 Old 06-23-2018, 05:17 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 118
Thanks (Received): 277
Likes (Given): 358
Likes (Received): 633
No problem, happy to help.

If you want a double-check, for peace of mind, feel free to post a picture of how you've mounted the augers on the shaft. Then people can help confirm that they're on there properly.

Taking notes and marking things during disassembly is a big help. If it's practical, I'd suggest also taking pictures before you start taking things apart, and while you're taking it apart.

I couldn't tell you how many times I've taken pictures of things I thought would be important during disassembly, then later realized that I (luckily) *also* had gotten something else in the picture, which turned out to be an important reference.

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Power Clear 221QR
Toro Power Curve 1800
post #9 of 26 Old 06-23-2018, 07:25 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 248
Thanks (Received): 288
Likes (Given): 2903
Likes (Received): 538
As your looking at the augers from the front of the machine, they should look like this. [\\\o///]

( my mistake, sorry)

Toro 8/24 (38080) 1989
Toro 721-QZR (38743) 2015 (Hemi Predator Power)

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Last edited by Grunt; 06-25-2018 at 10:49 AM.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes JLawrence08648 liked this post
post #10 of 26 Old 06-23-2018, 11:33 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 40
Likes (Given): 10
Likes (Received): 149
For future reference I believe it's a universal practice to denote left and right from the operators position.

The augers want to look like //////\\\\\ when viewed from the front. NOT \\\\ ////, been there, done that, it was a bad day.

Most augers have 2 leads. Since the shear pins only allow 2 orientations you can't go wrong

The only way you'd really disturb the relationship is to change the worm gear to worm wheel timing. In the end you are feeding a chaotic stream of fluidized snow to the pump and I doubt that the precise position of the impeller relative to the auger lead ends matters at all. The essential relationships except selecting left and right hand augers are hard coded in the parts.

Pete
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Kiss4aFrog liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page