post #1 of 13 Old 08-21-2018, 03:29 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 3
Likes (Received): 4
Garage
Poulan Making Awful Noise

It's a PP8527ES. I've had the machine for about 10 years now here in the UP, and it's treated me very well. Towards the end of the season this last winter/spring it started making an awful noise. I'm pretty handy, and have worked on most of my outdoor power equipment through the years with great success. I'm just looking for an idea of what to look at as far as repairing it to fix it to eliminate that noise. I'm thinking something went funky around the auger belt pulley area maybe that back bearing, but I'm not sure yet. I also noticed that since the problem has appeared that the auger gearbox is moving around a little bit from side to side. I really don't want to take it to a shop and get soaked for a few hundred dollars for a simple repair I can do myself after taking it in around 5 years ago to a local place and getting the short end of the stick. Also looking for recommendations as to how to repair stripped out threads for the mounting holes where the electric starter mounts onto the motor. I'm posting YouTube links of the machine running with that noise, and a few photos of the issue with the electric starter problem. Thanks in advance for your replies as it's appreciated.

Machine Running Front Housing:

Machine Running Belt Housing Area:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180821_112218.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	165.1 KB
ID:	146403   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180821_112309.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	119.8 KB
ID:	146405   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180821_112314.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	139.1 KB
ID:	146407  

Life is like a blizzard, you never know when it's going to go sideways.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 08-21-2018, 03:43 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 511
Thanks (Received): 682
Likes (Given): 3849
Likes (Received): 1480
Garage
Have you tried removing the belts and spinning the tensioner pulleys to see if you have a bad bearing ?? Or with the belts on if you try to twist them a little with the belt on they have too much play ??

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 Old 08-21-2018, 03:48 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiss4aFrog View Post
Have you tried removing the belts and spinning the tensioner pulleys to see if you have a bad bearing ?? Or with the belts on if you try to twist them a little with the belt on they have too much play ??

Not yet no. I'm concerned about how that auger belt pulley seems to be moving around a bunch. I'm just curious if a bad bearing can make that much noise ?

post #4 of 13 Old 08-21-2018, 04:05 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 511
Thanks (Received): 682
Likes (Given): 3849
Likes (Received): 1480
Garage
It can be anything from a low rumble or grinding to a high pitched screech.

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
post #5 of 13 Old 08-21-2018, 04:34 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
Quote:
It can be anything from a low rumble or grinding to a high pitched screech.

That's what I was thinking just wanted to be sure. I'll have to pull it further apart to inspect it all to see how all these things look.

post #6 of 13 Old 08-21-2018, 05:57 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
Quote:

Yeah just had a few minutes. All pulleys turn freely with no play at all. Got to the auger pulley and that thing is moving around pretty bad. I'll have to separate the auger housing from it to see exactly what gives behind the pulley towards the housing, but I'm thinking it's a bad flange bearing behind the pulley. I'll have to put a 2x4 on the garage wall in order to separate it by myself by using a ratchet strap to hold the top part in place from falling on me. I'll keep this thread updated as my journey continues on.

post #7 of 13 Old 08-21-2018, 08:51 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 118
Thanks (Received): 277
Likes (Given): 358
Likes (Received): 633
I confess I didn't follow what you meant with the 2x4. Are you talking about doing something to remove the impeller shaft pulley?

For terminology, the impeller shaft is the one coming forward from the engine area, then it gets to the auger gearbox, which then turns the augers (at a lower RPM). I think I know what you meant by auger pulley, but you mean the large pulley that turns the impeller shaft?

Typically, a snowblower will split in half. The bucket assembly (with impeller and augers) unbolting from the engine, transmission, and controls half. Check how the halves join. On my Ariens machines, there are bolts near the top, and the two halves pivot apart, at the bottom. I had an MTD previously, that one might have just bolted together. But take a look first, it might be good to have a helper, who can lower the handlebars gently, to let you split the machine without something crashing down.

But getting better access to the pulley should be reasonably straightforward. Then you'll have to see how that pulley attaches to the impeller shaft. Hopefully it all comes apart easily!

What happened to those electric starter bolts? One looks like it got worn down by the starter moving around while the mounting bolts were loose. But what about the other one? Did it break off? It looks rather short, with basically 2 threads showing, then the straight section. I would typically expect to see more threads.

You could probably drill out the damaged threads in the engine, and install a Helicoil into each one. But this needs to be done carefully. You don't want to drill too deep, and drill a hole into the crankcase itself, or you could seriously damage the engine.

If it starts easily, and you're not comfortable with Helicoiling the holes, you *could* just leave the electric starter off. With the carb clean, and priming it, my Tecumseh will usually start in 1-2 pulls. Granted, it lives in the garage, so the coldest the engine gets is ~30F. And if it *is* really hard to pull start, the primer hose/tube can sometimes disintegrate, so the primer isn't actually functioning properly. Replacing that broken tube made one of mine much easier to start, since the primer was actually able to do its job.

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Power Clear 221QR
Toro Power Curve 1800
post #8 of 13 Old 08-21-2018, 09:31 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOctobyr View Post
I confess I didn't follow what you meant with the 2x4. Are you talking about doing something to remove the impeller shaft pulley?

For terminology, the impeller shaft is the one coming forward from the engine area, then it gets to the auger gearbox, which then turns the augers (at a lower RPM). I think I know what you meant by auger pulley, but you mean the large pulley that turns the impeller shaft?

But getting better access to the pulley should be reasonably straightforward. Then you'll have to see how that pulley attaches to the impeller shaft. Hopefully it all comes apart easily!

What happened to those electric starter bolts? One looks like it got worn down by the starter moving around while the mounting bolts were loose. But what about the other one? Did it break off? It looks rather short, with basically 2 threads showing, then the straight section. I would typically expect to see more threads.

You could probably drill out the damaged threads in the engine, and install a Helicoil into each one. But this needs to be done carefully. You don't want to drill too deep, and drill a hole into the crankcase itself, or you could seriously damage the engine.

Yeah it's the big pulley on the back of the housing that spins the impeller, which then in turn spins the augers via the auger gearbox. You knew what I meant. Lol. Was watching different You Tube videos and got the 2 mixed up. I can lift the auger gear case up and down so I'm pretty sure it's that bearing behind the big pulley. I'm hoping that it comes apart easy as well, but I'm not thinking it will come apart easy.

That electric starter, the boltholes, and the actual bolts are the remnants left behind by a bad repair made by a local hardware store here in town a few years back. I'm really kind of upset about it as it was a bad deal all the way around, and I got soaked for close to $200. Actually thinking of pulling the motor off and taking it in to a local fabrication shop here in town to get it done right to where I don't accidentally hit the crankcase as I thought the same way you did with the helicoil. Not to sure yet as I want to get it running without all the noise first before I worry too much about that, and it starts very easy via the pull start.

I'm not too fortunate to have a helper when I'd like to have one with many of my projects. So I secured a 2' 2x4 to the studs just to hold the machine safely in place with 2 ratchet straps while I separate it, and I'll have a board by the wheels too. That should make it to where I can separate it to get to that large pulley safely by myself.

post #9 of 13 Old 08-24-2018, 03:07 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 56
Thanks (Received): 62
Likes (Given): 51
Likes (Received): 148
it seems the auger bearing is toast. if the auger pulley has play in it then bearing is done. bearings arent that expensive but u would need to do some tearing down to get to it.
if it is bad replace asap
i have a video in my sig of my bad bearing.

Bought a dead but now fixed 1980ish craftsman II 10/28....ITS ONE HEAVY BEAST

MY VIDS ON FIXIN HER UP

Last edited by vinnycom; 08-24-2018 at 03:11 AM.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks Michael Nemeth thanked for this post
Likes Michael Nemeth liked this post
post #10 of 13 Old 08-24-2018, 10:00 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 118
Thanks (Received): 277
Likes (Given): 358
Likes (Received): 633
The lifting the auger gear case up/down has me kind of confused.

If the auger gearbox is actually moving up and down (not just tilting forward and back) that would make me wonder about the bushings/bearings that the auger shaft itself rides on. Those would keep the auger shaft tight, or allow it to move up/down, if really worn. But you'd also see this where the auger shaft goes into the bucket, at the left and right.

I'm not trying to imply that you don't also have a problem with the bearing for the impeller pulley. But I'd expect that bearing to allow the impeller shaft to move up/down a little at the pulley end, making a small tilt forward/back. Not really allowing movement (rather than tilting) of the auger gearbox itself.

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Power Clear 221QR
Toro Power Curve 1800
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks Michael Nemeth thanked for this post
Likes Michael Nemeth liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page