Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 3
Craftsman Snow Blower Carb

Craftsman: 536.881800
Briggs: 12E114 0268-E1
Code: 041015FD

Carb:

I got this machine from a neighbor and am doing a carb kit on it because it was filthy. Hasn't run in years. I removed the seat for replacement and got carb kit 792006 right from the schematic. There are two carbs for this engine and I have the one with the 90 degree plastic inlet, not the metal elbow.

All of the parts look like a match but the seat that came with the kit does not appear to be right for the carb. From my limited experience, seats typically fit snugly into the hole but this one doesn't. It appears too small. There is no resistance when I push it in and it falls right out when I turn the carb body upside down.

Am I missing something here? Should I soak it in fuel to try to get it to swell up? Or do I have the wrong part?

When I compare the new seat to the old seat they appear to match up perfectly. Unfortunately, when removing the old seat, I deformed it such that it can't be reused.

Thanks
Lefty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 09-08-2018, 11:26 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 89
Thanks (Received): 180
Likes (Given): 69
Likes (Received): 409
Garage
It should fit snuggly. It can't be dropping in to the float valve besides it must seal the gasoline around the sides.

This is where dealing with a mower parts shop is an advantage rather than online. You can open the kit there and try the part, besides hoping they have other part numbers in stock you can try.

1986 Ariens ST522, 5hp, 22"
1995 Murray Craftsman 10hp, 29" w. 12" impeller
A 1983 Real John Deere 10hp, 32" w. 12" impeller, 16" auger, 20" high front, cast iron gear box, chains
Noma 9hp, 27" w. 12" impeller
Noma 5hp, 24" w. 12" impeller, 20" high front
Gravely Convertible, 12hp Kohler cast iron, 26" width, 600 lbs of cast iron & steel, 2 speed impeller, 4 ground speeds
Dynamark 8hp, 26", 12" impeller, for sale
Several other 5hp, 8hp, several 2 cycle, all for sale
post #3 of 9 Old 09-09-2018, 05:03 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
I think inexperience was the problem here. While looking at some other carbs I have around here, I think I realized that I had to push down pretty hard to get the resistance necessary.

I think I have a new problem now because it leaks. It's leaking out of a tiny hole on the air intake side as well as the primer inlet. I tried hooking the carb up to fuel while applying gentle pressure to the float with the bowl off. No fuel came out. So I think I'm getting a good seal with the seat and needle.

With the bowl on, after charging the carb with fuel, it starts leaking out of the areas circled in red in the photo. No fuel comes out of the main jet, circled in blue in the photo.

If my needle and seat were leaking, would I see fuel coming up out of the main jet?
Are there any rubber check valves in this that I may have damaged in a vent? I cleaned the little hole circled in red with a very small wire.

Is this just a case of the needle not seating or do I have bigger problems here?

Thank you

post #4 of 9 Old 09-09-2018, 05:14 PM

Location: nova scotia-south shore - ave annual snowfall 199.4 cm ( 78.5 ")
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 73
Thanks (Received): 157
Likes (Given): 370
Likes (Received): 598
Garage
Pretty much has to be the needle not seating or the float is set wrong.

24 " 1967? Ariens Sno thro
28 " Ariens Sno Tek
Toro CCR ss
1966 Gravely LI Walk behind with dog eater

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 9 Old 09-09-2018, 05:29 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwcove View Post
Pretty much has to be the needle not seating or the float is set wrong.
I have had instances in the past where the needle didn't seat properly initially but after a couple tries, it seated.

Would you suggest removal and reinstallation of the seat?
post #6 of 9 Old 09-09-2018, 06:06 PM

Location: nova scotia-south shore - ave annual snowfall 199.4 cm ( 78.5 ")
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 73
Thanks (Received): 157
Likes (Given): 370
Likes (Received): 598
Garage
I would check to make sure the float level is set correctly.

24 " 1967? Ariens Sno thro
28 " Ariens Sno Tek
Toro CCR ss
1966 Gravely LI Walk behind with dog eater

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 9 Old 09-15-2018, 05:42 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks guys. Once again, with your help, I've got this thing running like a top. Next problem:

Once running, the machine wouldn't drive. So I took the belly pan off and it looks like a bolt is broken, sheared off.

Based on this schematic, it is a hex bolt part number 01x193, substitution number 704212.

You can check it out by using this link and checking out the "wheel" assembly schematic. Item number 653.
https://www.searspartsdirect.com/mod...erm=536.881800

This looks like a regular bolt, 1/4-20x1.75. Doesn't look like a shear bolt/pin I would expect in this location. Can any bolt fitting those specs be used? I would expect a fail safe there. Should there be some type of shear pin there?
post #8 of 9 Old 09-15-2018, 07:08 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 118
Thanks (Received): 277
Likes (Given): 358
Likes (Received): 633
It looks like # 653 secures the gear to the axle shaft? I wouldn't expect a fail-safe for that, personally. I would hope the rubber friction disk would slip, or you'd spin a wheel, before you'd damage the gear or the shaft.

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Power Clear 221QR
Toro Power Curve 1800
post #9 of 9 Old 09-15-2018, 08:26 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
That makes sense.

What would cause that to break? I could understand if the nut fell off and the bolt fell out but this thing clearly sheared. The gear spins freely around the shaft and I can clearly see a chunk of the bolt blocking the hole through the shaft, similar to what you would see when a shear pin on an auger shaft goes. I'm going to pound it out with a punch and replace it but I'm just curious as to how that might happen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page