LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 09-23-2018, 10:15 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Auger lubricating questions

I’ve had my blower for 1.5 seasons now. Last year I didn’t do any of the lubricating steps as id only used it for a handful of hours and I honestly wasn’t comfortable doing so.

This year I want to do the right maintenance and between the manual and YouTube videos I think I’m comfortable lubricating the gear shaft and wheels and probably the chute control, but the auger is confusing me, for two reasons...

First the manual just says “spray lubricant”, nothing about what kind. The others say automotive grease or 3-in-1 oil or something. This says just “lubricant”. What Vaseline? WD-14? Motor oil? 🙂 I presume not and I presume it just says that because there’s a lot of valid choices. But I’m a total newb... what’s the parameters of what’s okay to use?

Secondly, when I find videos of people doing it they’re doing two totally different things (YouTube videos are usually my key to feeling like I know what to do). One videos shows a guy using a grease gun to push grease into where the shear pin was removed from “until grease squeezes out the ends”. Another video just shows someone using a spray can to spray some of the flange bearings and spacers (honestly I had no idea what a flange was until I was looking this stuff up last night).

Further, the two ideas (spraying inside the shear pin holes and spraying the outer tube) seem to require two different kinds of grease.

I have a CubCadet two stage and the manual says “Remove shear pins and cotter pins from auger shaft. Spray lubricant inside shaft and around spacers and flange bearings at either end of the shaft(s)”.

Can someone clarify what I’m supposed to be doing here and what kind of lubricant to use?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 09-23-2018, 12:03 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 12
Thanks (Received): 100
Likes (Given): 101
Likes (Received): 243
ONLY reason to grease the augers is to stop them from rusting together with the shaft, So any good grease will do, Some actually have zerk fitting to use a grease gun and never seize would actually work also but grease works well, Don't worry too much on the grease either as there is NO moving parts to be lubricated other than when you break a shear pin just as long as it's there to stop the rust from forming and it keeps the moisture out.

Sno-Tek Modded, 15"X-Track tires (Now has same X-Track tires but 13"x4" for better fit), 254cc engine LED light and hand warmers.
Snapper 6/22 sold but not forgotten. Was my first.
Ariens ST1027LE workhorse and going strong.
New 2017 Ariens Deluxe completely rebuilt after losing a fight with a forklift.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes orangputeh liked this post
post #3 of 14 Old 09-23-2018, 12:27 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 636
Thanks (Received): 160
Likes (Given): 938
Likes (Received): 1015
Garage
just like Dauntae says. i personally use anti=seize grease as my auger shafts on a Honda does not have grease fittings . but any grease will do , I believe.

on everything else i use a lubricating oil that is water resistant . straight WD40 is better thean nothing but I use WD40 with silicone PFTe? or is it PTFE ? haha. The shop uses something called Diamond which is $17 a can. Also very good and did surprisingly well in tests is Liquid Wrench with silicone. cheaper and effective.

make sure you also oil where the cable ends are. if that area dries out and the cable ends can not rotate freely , the cable will grind against metal and you will eventually break the cable. have replaced some cables on friends' machines because of this.

"It Feels Like Beer O'Clock "
post #4 of 14 Old 09-23-2018, 01:06 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks for the information. So it’s sounds like I’m going for the spray video not the grease gun video, right?

Never Seez is a paint-like consistency isn’t it? So I couldn’t spray in like the instructions say right? Wouldn’t I need more of a spray can sorta thing?

Last edited by fredct; 09-23-2018 at 01:46 PM.
post #5 of 14 Old 09-23-2018, 02:25 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 26
Thanks (Received): 81
Likes (Given): 59
Likes (Received): 175
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredct View Post
Thanks for the information. So itís sounds like Iím going for the spray video not the grease gun video, right?

Never Seez is a paint-like consistency isnít it? So I couldnít spray in like the instructions say right? Wouldnít I need more of a spray can sorta thing?

If it has zerks you use the gun
post #6 of 14 Old 09-23-2018, 04:42 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 118
Thanks (Received): 277
Likes (Given): 358
Likes (Received): 632
Without grease fittings, maybe put one of those red spray sticks on a can of your lube of choice, and stick it in the hole for the (removed) shear pin. Try to aim the tube sideways, along the length of the auger shaft, and give it a good blasting in each direction.You're trying to coat the auger shaft, and the inside of the auger tube. You could also spray through the opposite hole in the augers.

Another thing you can do to help prevent them from rusting together is to periodically remove the shear pins and spin the augers on the shaft. That will break loose any rust that's forming. You *don't* want to let them rust solidly together. They can be very difficult to break loose for later service, and the rust prevents the shear pins from doing their job. So if you suck in something solid, you're much more likely to break something in the auger gearbox. Expensive, and much more hassle than just changing shear pins.

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Power Clear 221QR
Toro Power Curve 1800
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes orangputeh, gibbs296 liked this post
post #7 of 14 Old 09-23-2018, 08:22 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 84
Likes (Given): 20
Likes (Received): 206
As I recall, my Toro PowerMax, did not have any Zercs, so I took off the auger, and drilled into it to install my own zercs. After having spent hours/days removing a rusted auger, the couple of bucks worth of zercs seemed like a very worthwhile investment.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Dauntae, aveteam liked this post
post #8 of 14 Old 09-24-2018, 12:14 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Before I saw some of the last responses I bought a can of WD-40 white lithium grease. Since it’s WD-40 it comes with the little straw 🙂.

I’m thinking I’ll use that to spray the ends of the auger and side to side inside the holes from the removed shear pins, rotating the augers around. Does anything think that won’t be a decent enough attempt?

Appreciate the advice but some of it requiring drilling or modifying the blower is far more that I’m willing to take on as a newbie to make several hundred dollar investment.
post #9 of 14 Old 09-24-2018, 07:44 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 88
Thanks (Received): 174
Likes (Given): 68
Likes (Received): 406
Garage
My first choice is to drill, tap, install zerk fittings for greasing.

Otherwise turn the snowblower on it's side and drip synthetic oil down the end of the auger shaft.

1986 Ariens ST522, 5hp, 22"
1995 Murray Craftsman 10hp, 29" w. 12" impeller
A 1983 Real John Deere 10hp, 32" w. 12" impeller, 16" auger, 20" high front, cast iron gear box, chains
Noma 9hp, 27" w. 12" impeller
Noma 5hp, 24" w. 12" impeller, 20" high front
Gravely Convertible, 12hp Kohler cast iron, 26" width, 600 lbs of cast iron & steel, 2 speed impeller, 4 ground speeds
Dynamark 8hp, 26", 12" impeller, for sale
Several other 5hp, 8hp, several 2 cycle, all for sale
post #10 of 14 Old 09-25-2018, 09:30 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 6
Likes (Given): 14
Likes (Received): 25
Garage
Take the auger assembly apart and remove the auger tines. Wire wheel the auger shaft and either grease the heck out of it, or put Zerk fittings in to grease in the future. I have had to remove rusted augers and it is very difficult to separate once they have rusted together.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page