LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 09-29-2018, 12:33 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 2
Snowblower wont prime/wont start

I have a craftsman model 536.881800 snowblower that wont start.

I have replaced the spark plug and check for spark and sure enough there is.

What I have noticed is when I go to prime it with fuel the primer sounds like it is not sucking fuel only air. I have checked the primer line and there are no cracks or sign of wear. I also checked gas tank and fuel line for any crud blocking the path.

Is there something else I need to check that I'm missing. No fuel is getting to the engine overall is my problem and I think it may be the primer? Thank you very much! Just trying to get ready for this winter season 😊
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 09-29-2018, 05:18 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 56
Thanks (Received): 62
Likes (Given): 51
Likes (Received): 148
quick test is to spray carb or brake cleaner down the choke plate opening and see if shes has life when attempting to start.
the primer uses air only to push up/prime the carb "jet" with the fuel thats in the carb bowl.
if all you here was air then theres no fuel in the carb bowl, really plugged up bowl jet, or disconnected primer tube.
you can prime it manually with carb or brake cleaner sprayed down the choke plate.
is wiring/key switch ok, should be fine as u said u got spark.
is fuel shutoff valve opened or even working/plugged.

remove carb bowl and see if theres fuel in the bowl, or if bowl has one push in or out the fuel relieve poppet.
if no fuel then check the lines, shutoff valve, gas tank outlet tube, problem with carb float/needle valve, a bad gas cap but u can test it out by leaving that off, or it had really old/bad gas which failed to ignite.

if there was fuel then your carb is plugged/dirty/old gas gummed up and needs a cleaning.
carb bowl only holds about a couple of ounces of fuel

Bought a dead but now fixed 1980ish craftsman II 10/28....ITS ONE HEAVY BEAST

MY VIDS ON FIXIN HER UP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by vinnycom; 09-29-2018 at 05:14 PM.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes orangputeh liked this post
post #3 of 11 Old 09-29-2018, 11:10 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 678
Thanks (Received): 179
Likes (Given): 1091
Likes (Received): 1108
Garage
@vinnycom has the good steps in order, I believe.

please check back if any of these suggestions work as this question comes up from time to time and you will be helping other SB owners with a similar problem.

"It Feels Like Beer O'Clock "
post #4 of 11 Old 09-29-2018, 11:36 AM

Location: nova scotia-south shore - ave annual snowfall 199.4 cm ( 78.5 ")
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 73
Thanks (Received): 157
Likes (Given): 368
Likes (Received): 597
Garage
Have a close look at the bowl gasket.

24 " 1967? Ariens Sno thro
28 " Ariens Sno Tek
Toro CCR ss
1966 Gravely LI Walk behind with dog eater

post #5 of 11 Old 09-29-2018, 11:37 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 0
have a craftsman mower that had same symptoms, replacing this did the trick.
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Briggs+%26+Stratton+795259+Air+Cleaner+Pr imer+Base+Replaces+792040+691753+496116

@vinnycom is correct, manually prime carb and if it fires this is most likely your problem.

Last edited by kneedeep; 09-29-2018 at 11:47 AM. Reason: correcting bad link
post #6 of 11 Old 09-29-2018, 12:04 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by kneedeep View Post
have a craftsman mower that had same symptoms, replacing this did the trick.
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Briggs+%26+Stratton+795259+Air+Cleaner+Pr imer+Base+Replaces+792040+691753+496116

@vinnycom is correct, manually prime carb and if it fires this is most likely your problem.
if u got spark it will fire, if it stays running is the question.
i highly doubt its the primer, enough pulls on the cord it will normally get primed or show some sort of life espicially this time of year.
using an electric starter with the choke closed doesnt really need to be primed

MY VIDS ON FIXIN HER UP

Last edited by vinnycom; 09-29-2018 at 12:08 PM.
post #7 of 11 Old 09-29-2018, 12:58 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallengines241 View Post
I have a craftsman model 536.881800 snowblower that wont start.

I have replaced the spark plug and check for spark and sure enough there is.

What I have noticed is when I go to prime it with fuel the primer sounds like it is not sucking fuel only air. I have checked the primer line and there are no cracks or sign of wear. I also checked gas tank and fuel line for any crud blocking the path.

Is there something else I need to check that I'm missing. No fuel is getting to the engine overall is my problem and I think it may be the primer? Thank you very much! Just trying to get ready for this winter season 😊
Might be time to replace the primer bulb and itís line. Pretty cheap and they do start to fail And leak after a few years.
post #8 of 11 Old 09-29-2018, 01:23 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Ok thank you so much everyone! This is one of the most helpful forums I've ever been on! I'm going to go out today and try some of these ideas and eliminate them one by one. I'll come back with a update. Thanks!
post #9 of 11 Old 09-29-2018, 01:26 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsehockey View Post
Might be time to replace the primer bulb and itís line. Pretty cheap and they do start to fail And leak after a few years.
sb should eventually start even if there was no primer

MY VIDS ON FIXIN HER UP

post #10 of 11 Old 09-30-2018, 02:05 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Ok problem solved! So I removed gas tank and fuel line to thoroughly clean out. Next I remove the carb and disassembled the bowl. Within the bowl i removed the float and the main jet. Went out to the store and got carb cleaner and sprayed the whole carb like crazy. With my carb there were alot of little specs inside which I'm sure was the problem as well as fuel in the bowl. After the cleaning I put back together and then it fired up first pull.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks nwcove thanked for this post
Likes Grunt, gsnod liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page