Tecumseh H70 circa 1971-ish metal fuel tank bushing? - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 10-05-2018, 07:21 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 24
Thanks (Received): 32
Likes (Given): 43
Likes (Received): 216
Garage
Tecumseh H70 circa 1971-ish metal fuel tank bushing?

Got a question. My metal tank appears to be leaking at the fuel shutoff valve. I have brand new hose and clamps so I suspect those aren't the issue. I'm suspecting it's the valve assembly itself.

Looking at parts diagrams for H70-130067's, it appears I should have Ariens part # 29683 for the valve itself - which shows as being a threaded into the tank variety (has pipe threads anyway). There evidently are "simple elbows" (which my H50 equipped "other" Ariens appears to have) and either variety can be threaded or unthreaded apparently.

But when I look at the exploded parts diagrams, I see no part number for any bushing or gasket that may accompany it.

Would this be part # 33679 that should go with this? Obviously, I would have to believe if this is true, the leak itself could be either or both. I simply don't want to begin tearing into this before knowing what I should see (assuming they haven't already been replaced at some point). To me, it appears this bushing would be the same no matter what elbow/shut off I have if I'm understanding this correct.

I'd rather spend $10-15 than $40 for the newer plastic tanks and an inline shut off.

Thanks in advance for any help anybody can offer here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 10-05-2018, 11:49 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 32
Thanks (Received): 132
Likes (Given): 197
Likes (Received): 283
The only Tecumseh's I've personally owned have had plastic tanks.
I'm mostly just bumping this back up hoping someone that knows will be able to answer your question.
I'm a little confused about what you are asking.
Just to clarify... are you asking if your petcock is threaded or if it the type that uses a snap-in rubber bushing?
post #3 of 6 Old 10-06-2018, 11:11 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
Sorry...for lack of a better way to say it, I wasn't actually able to look at the setup yesterday for I was out of town and couldn't remember what this actually looked like. I just was able to figure it out I believe. It's threaded, and I believe there's no bushing involved. I've attached a picture (never mind the two hoses, one's simply a temp drain hose I rigged), and was able to drain the tank to get a clearer view of what's inside the tank itself.

The valve mounts onto a "rounded square flange" on the bottom of the tank, and I can see the barest of a single thread where the valve mounts to the flange itself. Then after draining the tank, I was able to see clearly the threads in the inside.

After looking at the area...there's no way a bushing is in there. So I'm assuming the bushing and unthreaded valve as you say simply "snaps into place" in a round hole on those style tanks. The leak itself is the valve...when closed, no leak. When open, the turning knob ever so slowly fills with gas and acts like an upside down cup - I then turn the knob to close the valve, and the gas then gets pushed out (or the knob fills up with gas eventually if not closed and still leaks). So...I know what to order now The reason I was confused is when I look at an exploded view of the H70-130067 on Parts Tree's site, it looks to me it thinks the bushing goes with both styles of valves.

dbert, thx for the help - when you mentioned "snap in rubber bushing", the light bulb went off that there's no way a rubber bushing would work with a threaded valve.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Shut Off Valve H70.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	120.9 KB
ID:	147123  
post #4 of 6 Old 10-06-2018, 12:44 PM
Sid

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 10
Thanks (Received): 23
Likes (Given): 28
Likes (Received): 32
I have the exact same valve on my machine. It's probably leaking from the packing nut just above the shutoff valve handle. You might be able to turn that nut a half to one turn to tjghten it uo and stop the leak. Just be sure that after you tighten the nut, you can turn the valve handle . That gland [nut] can be repacked, and it is not difficult. I've done mine twice, [ it is 52 yrs old].. Or just buy a new valve as others have suggested .
Sid

'66 Sears/Murray 26"
'71 Jakobson 17 SnowBlitz
post #5 of 6 Old 10-06-2018, 12:58 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
Yep, bought new valve (in stock for $9!), installed, leak gone. Woo hoo!

My dealer, he knows me from 20 years of buying parts but never buying any new machine, but from a business perspective he knows me by name and we're friendly enough to know our senses of humor are similar.

I buy the valve, then he says with a big grin on his face "you know, it's home mechanics like you that make it difficult for me to sell new machines."

I look at him and remind him, "hey you told me you got 8 of these in stock, I ain't the only one!"

He then says "oh I know, serves me right for selling Ariens. Those older ones like yours, the only way to kill them off is to melt them down Terminator style."

As I'm leaving, I wave and say in my best Arnold voice "Ah'll be bawck". He then says "just don't drive through my showroom door!"
post #6 of 6 Old 10-06-2018, 06:10 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 16
Thanks (Received): 62
Likes (Given): 55
Likes (Received): 172
A simple O ring for less than $0.25 would have had your old valve good for anothe 30 years as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page