post #1 of 4 Old 10-15-2018, 01:49 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 84
Likes (Given): 56
Likes (Received): 253
Techumseh valve adjustement

Hi Folks-

I am getting better all the time at fixing the Techie engines, however there is one thing I have not yet tackled in all the engines i've worked on... Valve adjustment. How do you know when they need adjustment? What are the symptoms? What tools are needed? I'll have to probably learn how to do it via a youtube video unless you have tips? I believe the 2 JD 826s I look after at church buildings are likely in need of valve adjustments.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 10-15-2018, 03:16 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 56
Thanks (Received): 62
Likes (Given): 51
Likes (Received): 148
if it aint broke.......break it?
if its hard to start and u know for sure everything else is good, fuel, carb and spark, then valves might need adjusting and/or cleaning.
plenty of vids on getting to the valves.........but if it aint broke.........u know

Bought a dead but now fixed 1980ish craftsman II 10/28....ITS ONE HEAVY BEAST

MY VIDS ON FIXIN HER UP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 4 Old 10-15-2018, 03:31 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 248
Thanks (Received): 288
Likes (Given): 2898
Likes (Received): 537
If you pull start it with the rope and it pulls easier than it used to, exhaust valve is probably open a little and needs adjusting.

If the engine is warm and you hear popping from the muffler, again, the exhaust valve needs adjusting.

You have to remove the carb and muffler to get at the rectangular valve cover plate located behind them in order to check clearance between valve and lifter. Service manual has the specs for your particular motor, usually between .005 and .008.

Toro 8/24 (38080) 1989
Toro 721-QZR (38743) 2015 (Hemi Predator Power)

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.
post #4 of 4 Old 10-15-2018, 03:44 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 10
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnycom View Post
if it aint broke.......break it?
if its hard to start and u know for sure everything else is good, fuel, carb and spark, then valves might need adjusting and/or cleaning.
plenty of vids on getting to the valves.........but if it aint broke.........u know
Bingo. I have comercial lawnmowers,kawasaki engines , they recomend valve adjustment every 300 hours. My comercial dealer wont touch valves unless there is a issue. Ive seen these engines go 2,000 hours with no problem, just oil and filters , no valave work.

Ive seen plenty of 70's era Ariens machines, including my fathers, still in servie with no valve work.

OVERPOWERED is usually Adequate

Ariens 1128 Pro, 826 dle, 2 Path pro's
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes vinnycom liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page