LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old 10-20-2018, 04:56 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 1
Breaking in new snowblower?

Hello. . .I just purchased a new Ariens Deluxe 24 from a local dealer. He delivered the machine serviced and set-up, but said nothing about the correct or even any break-in procedure. Is there anything I should be aware of or need to do to properly break in this machine? Btw, I searched the forum for any previous threads relating to this topic but couldn't find anything. There also isn't any mention of a break-in period in the owner's manual, implying, I guess, that there's no need to? Just seems that any new machine should be run for a while without a load just to get things seated properly, etc. Maybe change the original oil. Any thoughts/help would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 10-20-2018, 05:22 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 11
Thanks (Received): 3
Likes (Given): 17
Likes (Received): 8
Garage
The manual for my Tecumseh Snow King OH195SA says change the oil after the first two operating hours, I imagine others would be similar.

Sent from my LG-M322 using Tapatalk

"Where's that confounded bridge"? - Robert Plant, "The Crunge"
post #3 of 19 Old 10-20-2018, 05:44 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 24
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 74
I'd avoid running it too long without a load, as load helps seat the rings. Just don't load it up too hard for the first hour or so of use.

As far as oil, personally I tend to change after 2 hours, again around 5, again at 10 and then pick up a more normal schedule from there on a small engine with no filter. No reason to leave any break-in debris floating around in the engine longer than necessary.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks orangputeh thanked for this post
Likes RedOctobyr, classiccat liked this post
post #4 of 19 Old 10-21-2018, 06:47 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 485
Thanks (Received): 353
Likes (Given): 290
Likes (Received): 1169
Run the Machine FULL BORE Under load for 5 HRS' with non syn motor oil. after the 5 are in the books change it out. with whatever kind of oil trips your trigger.

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes uberT, GeekOnTheHill liked this post
post #5 of 19 Old 10-21-2018, 08:04 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 89
Likes (Given): 24
Likes (Received): 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by POWERSHIFT93 View Post
Run the Machine FULL BORE Under load for 5 HRS' with non syn motor oil. after the 5 are in the books change it out. with whatever kind of oil trips your trigger.

I am assuming that you have a part-time business selling replacement engines ! Or, I am missing your sense of humor...as usual,
post #6 of 19 Old 10-21-2018, 08:34 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 12
Thanks (Received): 112
Likes (Given): 116
Likes (Received): 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by RIT333 View Post
I am assuming that you have a part-time business selling replacement engines ! Or, I am missing your sense of humor...as usual,
He puts it a little blunt but heís not wrong, This debate has been going a long time, Itís the same with dirt bikes, some say easy running and others say run it hard as it seats the rings better and both sides have happy followers, I feel the engines can handle either BUT the important factor is changing the oil to get out any of the debris from breaking in, Dino oil is the best for this as since you are changing it so fast itís cheapest, There will be tons who may not agree with me but everyone has there opinion.

Sno-Tek Modded, 15"X-Track tires (Now has same X-Track tires but 13"x4" for better fit), 254cc engine LED light and hand warmers.
Snapper 6/22 sold but not forgotten. Was my first.
Ariens ST1027LE workhorse and going strong.
New 2017 Ariens Deluxe completely rebuilt after losing a fight with a forklift.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Kiss4aFrog, GeekOnTheHill liked this post
post #7 of 19 Old 10-21-2018, 11:18 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 24
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 74
Babied engines are more likely to burn oil. But running it flat out too early can be rough on things as well. Basically, you want enough load to seat the rings, don't rev it to the moon for the first bit and let things settle in before giving it full load.

Of course, with a snowblower, there are practical limits to how perfect a break in you can try to give it, so don't go crazy over it.

As far as dino vs synth oil for break in, either will work. I've yet to see an engine fail to break in properly because it had synth oil in it. Of course, dino oil is cheaper for the first few short changes and you're unlikely to be running it hard enough to get the oil hot enough for synth to be of any real advantage at the beginning of its life.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Aviator liked this post
post #8 of 19 Old 10-31-2018, 10:39 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 512
Thanks (Received): 682
Likes (Given): 3849
Likes (Received): 1480
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dauntae View Post
He puts it a little blunt but heís not wrong, This debate has been going a long time, Itís the same with dirt bikes, some say easy running and others say run it hard as it seats the rings better and both sides have happy followers, I feel the engines can handle either BUT the important factor is changing the oil to get out any of the debris from breaking in, Dino oil is the best for this as since you are changing it so fast itís cheapest, There will be tons who may not agree with me but everyone has there opinion.

What he said.

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
post #9 of 19 Old 11-01-2018, 05:05 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 37
Thanks (Received): 165
Likes (Given): 90
Likes (Received): 281
If your engine is the 254cc LCT, the break-in period is 20 hours or 1 month, whichever comes first. Following oil changes are 40 hours or annually, whichever comes first. Engine Service manual is here: http://www.redlionproducts.com/media...evd_101413.pdf

Run the initial oil for the full break-in period called for in the maintenance schedule, unless you don't want your engine to be its best... If you replace the break-in oil too early, the process will not complete.

From a mechanic: "If you fail to follow this procedure [the full break-in period], the piston rings may never seat."

Great article on engine break-in: New Engine Break-in Procedure

Last edited by tabora; 11-01-2018 at 05:15 AM.
post #10 of 19 Old 11-01-2018, 07:46 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 19
Thanks (Received): 47
Likes (Given): 102
Likes (Received): 217
Change the oil after the 2nd or 3rd snow storm. Replace with 5w30 synthetic. Change once a year. Use it at full throttle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in