Impeller paddle modification - metal brace needed or not? - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 Old 10-24-2018, 05:12 PM Thread Starter

Location: Brit girl from London now in the Blue Ridge Mountains
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 29
Thanks (Received): 22
Likes (Given): 52
Likes (Received): 70
Impeller paddle modification - metal brace needed or not?

Hi,

Looking for advice from people more experienced than me with my current project. I am mechanically minded but this is my first snowblower.

I have a Honda HSS724 and am in the process of fitting rubber paddles to the 3 impeller arms to help close the gap between impeller end and auger housing.

I have 4" x 60" baler belting on order from Tractor Supply to use for the paddles.

I have the impeller out of the machine and ready to drill. One thing, a really important lesson that I learned while taking out the impeller, is that the end gap between impeller and blower housing is highly variable, by about 1/8th of an inch at it's widest. I measured around the impeller with a feeler gauge comparing the end gap at different points. This is why I have chosen baler belt becuase it is apparently more suited to this secnario and more flexible.

I will be using stainless 5/16ths x 1" bolts and nylock nuts, with a dose of loctite because it's near Holiday season

My question Do you think it's really necessary to use metal flat bar / metal sheet bracing between the bolt head and the rubber paddle? I want to avoid using the metal if possible to keep costs down and for simplicity sake. I was thinking of using nice wide stainless washers under the bolt heads.

I'm assuming folks use the metal bracing to help clamp the rubber and thereby reduce risk of tears, etc?

Thoughts, opinions and advice all welcome, thank you.

Last edited by SkunkyLawnmowers; 10-24-2018 at 06:58 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 10-24-2018, 05:26 PM

Location: nova scotia-south shore - ave annual snowfall 199.4 cm ( 78.5 ")
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 73
Thanks (Received): 157
Likes (Given): 369
Likes (Received): 598
Garage
i used flat bar, but only because i had some, many just use washers and have no issues.

24 " 1967? Ariens Sno thro
28 " Ariens Sno Tek
Toro CCR ss
1966 Gravely LI Walk behind with dog eater

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks SkunkyLawnmowers thanked for this post
post #3 of 24 Old 10-24-2018, 06:37 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 248
Thanks (Received): 288
Likes (Given): 2906
Likes (Received): 538
I use two 1/4"x3/4" stainless bolts with nylock nuts and fender washers per paddle, no problems.

Toro 8/24 (38080) 1989
Toro 721-QZR (38743) 2015 (Hemi Predator Power)

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.
post #4 of 24 Old 10-24-2018, 06:58 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 73
Thanks (Received): 89
Likes (Given): 76
Likes (Received): 158
Hello Skunkylawnmowers,

The blue loctite will not help you at all with the nylock nuts. Either use the nyloc nuts alone with washers for each bolt or a fine threaded nut and bolt with a second one to lock the first nut in place.

I would feel better if you bought one of the kits available ONLY because all you will need to do is use a pair of small vice grips to hold the metal plate to the impeller paddle so you can drill it using Dewalt twin point drill bits so you do not have to worry about the drill bit walking around while you are drilling the holes.

Just use a drop of motor oil in each drill hole using a cotton swab to just touch the hole with a drop of oil to lubricate the metal before you drill it.

The metal plates provided help reduce any chance of prematurely having the rubber paddle tear on you as the entire square area of the rubber is clamped in place against the metal impeller paddle.

After you have drilled the holes use some hand cleaner to remove the oil then use a rag to wipe it dry and be sure to check for any burrs or steel cuttings and file them off.

You can always cancel the order for a piece of baler belt or return it for credit.

You can order the kit tonight and it will be at your door in a few days and then you can do the work as you will have everything you need except the drill bits to do this.

If you have a variable speed drill that will help you a lot so you can have more control of it while drilling the holes with a low pressure against the drill bit.

I want you to succeed.
post #5 of 24 Old 10-24-2018, 07:34 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 204
Thanks (Received): 41
Likes (Given): 579
Likes (Received): 110
I second Grunt's work. I used stainless steel 1/4 bolts, nylon locknuts with the largest fender washers you can get on there - probably an inch or slightly larger. I did this to my 10 hp. Ariens and 10 hp. Craftsman with no problems.

Jack of all trades, Master of none!
Ariens - 924086 - ST1028
Craftsman - 88934 - 10HP 28"
Toro - CCR 3650
Toro - CCR 2000
post #6 of 24 Old 10-25-2018, 01:18 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks all for your replies and information, it's appreciated.

Leonz -

I was considering a kit but, apart from the cost aspect, I also wanted stainless fittings which most kits don't tend to have. More importantly for me, I needed a rubber material with inherent flexibility which apparently the baler belt has. According to user reports. most kits typically come with a much stiffer rubber material which would not be good for me, epsecially as I have a markedly non concentric auger housing with at least an 1/8th run out.

I have a couple of cobalt bits which should do the job on the impeller. Thanks for your thoughts on the drilling, all good stuff.

'Parker' Honda 2017 HSS724AWD
'Puffer' 2011 Toro 1 Stage
'Jen' Honda EM6500 generator
'Tilly' Honda Mantis tiller
Remember the 7 Ps - Proper Planning Preparation Prevents P Poor Performance
post #7 of 24 Old 10-25-2018, 05:08 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 56
Thanks (Received): 62
Likes (Given): 51
Likes (Received): 148
since rubber is on top face of metal and the momentum keeps it there fairly secure with the downforce and snow, its not really that necessary to overkill the rubber attachment. i used self tapping screws w/washers because it was the easiest method and has fewer steps.
after one season it still holding up very well and is the best mod for many sb bar none., makes my neighbors envious that my 30+ yr old blower can blow that far.
on my todo list is increase rpms and bigger motor pulley for the impeller

Bought a dead but now fixed 1980ish craftsman II 10/28....ITS ONE HEAVY BEAST

MY VIDS ON FIXIN HER UP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 24 Old 10-25-2018, 09:07 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 5
Likes (Given): 7
Likes (Received): 0
I just used some self tappers and hard rubber. Held up great. Didn't even use washers. Pro tip lube up the impeller area before trying it. I didn't have to take the impeller off but that was on an Ariens. I thought Honda had tight clearances already?
post #9 of 24 Old 10-25-2018, 10:34 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by ICECOLDBEER View Post
I thought Honda had tight clearances already?
Hi,

The main reason I want to do this mod is because of the really bad clogging issues I experienced in last year's wet snows. The machine would clog like every 2 minutes and was borderline unusable. With the gradual rise in temperatures I think wet snow is going to become even more of an issue.

So the widest gap on my machine seems to be at chute where there is appx 5/16ths between impeller end and housing wall. Even if I could half that gap I think it would help. I'm also going to investigaste the new chute that Honda has brought out for the HSS series which was designed to help with the clogging issue.

post #10 of 24 Old 10-25-2018, 10:46 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnycom View Post
since rubber is on top face of metal and the momentum keeps it there fairly secure with the downforce and snow, its not really that necessary to overkill the rubber attachment. i used self tapping screws w/washers because it was the easiest method and has fewer steps.
after one season it still holding up very well and is the best mod for many sb bar none., makes my neighbors envious that my 30+ yr old blower can blow that far.
on my todo list is increase rpms and bigger motor pulley for the impeller
Small world, I was watching some of your Youtube videos before I joined this forum!

Funny you should mention neighbours - last snowfall, all my neighbours were outside shovelling 6" of icy, wet snow. So out I wheel my Honda HSS724, feeling proud my machine would do the business. Within 10 seconds, seemingly, it had clogged and continued to do so for the next hour. One lady even came over to my house and asked if she could help shovel for me!! Very kind of her, but, oh, the humiliation!! hahaha

So hence wanting to do the impeller mod so badly

Last edited by SkunkyLawnmowers; 10-25-2018 at 12:17 PM. Reason: schpelling
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Grunt liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page