LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 11-06-2018, 09:35 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Stuck spark plug?

I am having a LOT of trouble removing a spark plug from my Craftsman 9 HP Tecumseh model 24.88910.
I'm trying to do my first tune up on my own. I bought a new plug, 13/16" socket and a ratchet wrench. For the life of me, I can't loosen it. I feel like I don't have enough hand strength to loosen it, but shouldn't the ratchet wrench take most of the work?

Vehicle websites suggest using a penetrating oil. Can I use this on my snowblower? I acquired the snowblower 4 years ago and it hasn't had any maintenance done. I've used it two seasons. Last year, it wouldn't start. So I'm doing an oil change, lubed all the moving parts, replacing spark plug, etc. Any tips? Maybe I need a deep socket? I can't tell if I'm far down enough on the plug.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 11-06-2018, 10:08 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 32
Thanks (Received): 132
Likes (Given): 197
Likes (Received): 283
You're turning it counterclockwise yes?
Post Thanks / Like - 2 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks PolarBear, orangputeh thanked for this post
post #3 of 12 Old 11-06-2018, 10:10 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 72
Thanks (Received): 87
Likes (Given): 75
Likes (Received): 158
Use PB blaster for the spark plug threads and leave it soaking overnight.

Does the socket have a rubber insert in it to hold the spark plug?? they are used to prevent the loss o the plug when installing it in one of those lovely places where you can barely get your hands in to.
If you have a motor with a large spark plug being the 13/16" it should slip all the way to the bottom touching the head.

You should plan on removing the starter recoil fan cooling shroud cover to check for any mouse nests as they can and will cause havoc with an air cooled engine. They love to chew on spark plug coil wires.

You are probably ready for new V belts as well so plan on removing the V belt cover and taking your hand rub the V belts and if you see rubber flakes in your palm its time to send the V belts to the V belt graveyard and replace them with Kevlar V belts.

The drive wheel should also be looked at to see if it needs to be changed as well(cracked rubber is not good).
post #4 of 12 Old 11-06-2018, 10:40 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbert View Post
You're turning it counterclockwise yes?
Yep.
post #5 of 12 Old 11-06-2018, 10:46 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by leonz View Post
Use PB blaster for the spark plug threads and leave it soaking overnight.

Does the socket have a rubber insert in it to hold the spark plug?? they are used to prevent the loss o the plug when installing it in one of those lovely places where you can barely get your hands in to.
If you have a motor with a large spark plug being the 13/16" it should slip all the way to the bottom touching the head.

You should plan on removing the starter recoil fan cooling shroud cover to check for any mouse nests as they can and will cause havoc with an air cooled engine. They love to chew on spark plug coil wires.

You are probably ready for new V belts as well so plan on removing the V belt cover and taking your hand rub the V belts and if you see rubber flakes in your palm its time to send the V belts to the V belt graveyard and replace them with Kevlar V belts.

The drive wheel should also be looked at to see if it needs to be changed as well(cracked rubber is not good).

Hi, thanks for your reply. Yes, the socket has the rubber insert. Will definitely check for mouse nests. Had a small invasion in the house recently. I have 3 in 1 oil and Liquid Wrench on hand. Would you recommend the PB Blaster or WD40 instead? I ask about WD40 because their website has some pretty convincing photos when comparing results to PB Blaster Will check the V Belts and drive wheel as well. The operator's manual and I are about to become good friends this weekend.

I will update with spark plug news and with these tasks, I expect more questions!
post #6 of 12 Old 11-06-2018, 11:12 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 6
forget PB blaster and WD use Kroil...it is what will break the rust free when others won't.
post #7 of 12 Old 11-07-2018, 02:02 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 54
Thanks (Received): 62
Likes (Given): 50
Likes (Received): 148
any penetrating oil will do as its a hit or miss with them anyways, imo, as many tests have shown.
its hard for the oil to get past the plug washer.
warm up the motor as that sometimes help. most say do it on a cold motor....but urs is either cross threaded or rusted on, if its rusted on then a hot engine might help but not if its cross threaded.

use a longer handle or a insert a suitable length pipe in wrench handle to give u more leverage, but do it gingerly when trying to unscrew plug.
plenty of utube vids on removing stubborn plugs on cars

did u resolve the no start? if no then check for spark by using another plug attached to plug wire, check utube.
if spark is present then leave existing plug alone for now and check fuel delivery and clean the carb which is the biggest cause of a "no start" issue.
if it starts after doing that then leave plug alone as it can snap off and give u a bigger headache, plugs last a very long time

Bought a dead but now fixed 1980ish craftsman II 10/28....ITS ONE HEAVY BEAST

MY VIDS ON FIXIN HER UP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by vinnycom; 11-07-2018 at 02:09 AM.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks PolarBear thanked for this post
post #8 of 12 Old 11-07-2018, 05:19 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 11
Thanks (Received): 9
Likes (Given): 53
Likes (Received): 32
When an overnight soak with penetrating oil won't loosen a stubborn plug, I make it a point not to use other methods until I have a Helicoil of the correct size on hand.

Richard
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes dbert liked this post
post #9 of 12 Old 11-07-2018, 07:02 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 88
Thanks (Received): 174
Likes (Given): 68
Likes (Received): 406
Garage
I agree with GeekOnTheHill, if you can't get it out, leave it alone IF the engine is running w ell and starting.

I agree with vinnycom, 1) penetrant won't get past the washer; 2) start the engine and warm it up; 3) use a longer handle ratchet even if you need to use a pipe over the ratchet handle to give more leverage, use a 1/2" ratchet than a 3/8"; 4) do not use an extension, use the spark plug socket with a rubber insert directly attached to the ratchet; 5) if it works, leave it alone.

1986 Ariens ST522, 5hp, 22"
1995 Murray Craftsman 10hp, 29" w. 12" impeller
A 1983 Real John Deere 10hp, 32" w. 12" impeller, 16" auger, 20" high front, cast iron gear box, chains
Noma 9hp, 27" w. 12" impeller
Noma 5hp, 24" w. 12" impeller, 20" high front
Gravely Convertible, 12hp Kohler cast iron, 26" width, 600 lbs of cast iron & steel, 2 speed impeller, 4 ground speeds
Dynamark 8hp, 26", 12" impeller, for sale
Several other 5hp, 8hp, several 2 cycle, all for sale
post #10 of 12 Old 11-07-2018, 07:58 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 19
Thanks (Received): 47
Likes (Given): 102
Likes (Received): 215
1.Warm up engine. Use 1/2" ratchet with proper socket. Try to tighten a little bit (clockwise)and see if it moves. If it does, remove it counter clockwise
2.Spray penetrating oil, whichever one you like and let it sit for a while. Spray again and let it sit. After a few hours, try the above procedure

Caution!!!!!! You are stronger than the stuck spark plug. You need to proceed with caution with the amount of torque you apply. You can snap off the spark plug or strip the threads. If that happens you will need to rethread or insert a coil with a tool similar to this
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture1.JPG
Views:	40
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	148137  

Last edited by russ01915; 11-07-2018 at 08:18 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page