LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 11-07-2018, 01:55 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 2
Briggs Sno Gard 5hp Engine

Inherited a Gilson 26" 5hp blower from my grandfather. It was seized, I'm assuming he ran it low on oil. I just managed to get it un-seized and I am surprised at the condition of the bore.

I do need to pull the sump cover and inspect the cam and crank for rust because I drained more water out of the unit than oil. Currently filled with ATF to help lube things up. Happy that it's pulling over.

I found a few ebay rebuild kits that I hope will work but I am unsure if they are correct?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/for-5HP-5-h...frcectupt=true

Can this engine be bored out? Or is the cylinder like a chainsaw; a chrome/nickle coating? I do not see any sort of "sleeve" after removing the head?

Engine number casting 130202
I was going to toss a Princess Auto engine on it but now that I see the bore I think it's worth further investigating

PA engine is $226 + monkeying around with the carb since that adjustable needle is no longer available from Mr. Waterloo

If I can punch out this block I think it's worth it or just use the stock size
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-07-2018, 02:41 PM

Location: nova scotia-south shore - ave annual snowfall 199.4 cm ( 78.5 ")
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 73
Thanks (Received): 157
Likes (Given): 369
Likes (Received): 598
Garage
PA engine is your best bet. They work very well right out of the box.

24 " 1967? Ariens Sno thro
28 " Ariens Sno Tek
Toro CCR ss
1966 Gravely LI Walk behind with dog eater

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 Old 11-07-2018, 08:33 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 40
Likes (Given): 10
Likes (Received): 149
That engine can be bored over by 10, 20 or 30 thousandths. I'd be thorough in tallying up the parts including gaskets and inspect carefully for any concealed damage.

Your desire to stay original may be the tipping point.

One trade-off may be ending up with a non snow ready engine. If you have warm dry storage that can dry the unit between storms this is less of an issue.

It's not a trivial modification but if it's a solid unit the extra work to get an 8 HP on there will result in a much better performer.

Pete
post #4 of 7 Old 11-07-2018, 10:18 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
I have to tarp the blower after Iím finished using it. I donít want to park it inside the shed because of the wood floor.

Glad to see you post up Spectrum. I have been using your site for the past year or so when my grandfather asked if I wanted this blower.

Which 8hp are you reviewing to? A Chonda snow ready 8hp? I am currently downsizing from a 10/32 Sears (Roper) snowblower. In my opinion the 10hp b&S barely had the grunt to move a full bucket of snow.

Between the pain to get it out of the backyard, summer storage and around vehicles I think Iíll be much happier
post #5 of 7 Old 11-08-2018, 11:15 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 40
Likes (Given): 10
Likes (Received): 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Roc View Post
I have to tarp the blower after I’m finished using it. I don’t want to park it inside the shed because of the wood floor.

Glad to see you post up Spectrum. I have been using your site for the past year or so when my grandfather asked if I wanted this blower.

Which 8hp are you reviewing to? A Chonda snow ready 8hp? I am currently downsizing from a 10/32 Sears (Roper) snowblower. In my opinion the 10hp b&S barely had the grunt to move a full bucket of snow.

Between the pain to get it out of the backyard, summer storage and around vehicles I think I’ll be much happier

A snow engine has a lot of little features other than a heater box and no muffler. Things like a visor over the recoil and a secondary shield around the clutch. The engine is bound to have snow and water on it when you are done and as that melts it will get into places where freezing makes bad stuff happen. These are things that will need special attention if the engine cannot dry off between events.

I park my snowy tractor in a ply wood floored shed (1/2 fir CDX) over 2X6 and it dries up surprisingly well with a little sun warmth. I must have at least a decade on that unfinished floor with no deterioration. The tractor only sees occasional snow use I'll admit. It's an intermittent situation that causes little harm.

It sounds like you have a UniTrol so you want to pay attention to that threaded hole in the camshaft boss where the traction idler and belt retainer are mounted. A good used L head would be a genuine solution.

On my re-powering page there is a nice example of a B&S InteK Snow on a UniTrol.

Last edited by Spectrum; 11-09-2018 at 10:43 PM.
post #6 of 7 Old 11-09-2018, 02:55 AM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 511
Thanks (Received): 682
Likes (Given): 3849
Likes (Received): 1480
Garage
to SBF J-Roc

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 7 Old 11-12-2018, 03:24 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Well I think the 5hp is done for, tore it down today and the crank, rod and crankshaft end supports are all badly scored.
I could probably clean up the crank with emery cloth but I don't know how long my backyard/basement repair will last. The flywheel side of the crank is scored the most.

Because the idler for the main belt is attached to the oil sump cover with that 3/4" thread, does someone have a pic of a predator mount on an Gilson or Montgomery?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1BAEB9DE-BE10-4012-810E-2039F12EE51B.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	218.6 KB
ID:	148405   Click image for larger version

Name:	723686FD-114D-4BD9-AEFB-023DA5D677D6.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	249.1 KB
ID:	148407   Click image for larger version

Name:	D90AD0BD-1DDA-4AE2-95E3-6700D08DF610.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	279.4 KB
ID:	148409  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page