Craftsman Trac-Plus only goes in reverse - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 11-09-2018, 05:08 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 1
Craftsman Trac-Plus only goes in reverse

I have a Craftsman Trac-PLus (model 536.885910) that I bought last year. It had some problems with the tracks losing drive and the auger wasn't very powerful. I finally got around to looking at it last weekend.

I found the friction disk was missing pieces and was brittle. I also found the idler pulley loose on the auger drive belt, so it wasn't tensioned correctly.

I replaced the friction disk, tensioned the auger drive belt, and I also adjusted the length of the rod on the speed select linkage to get the friction disk to travel farther out on the disk drive plate.

I started it up and expected to go for a victory lap. The auger works fine. But now it only goes in reverse!

With the traction drive lever disengaged everything works normally, including the disk drive plate turning. When going in reverse, it works normally. But when going in any forward gear it doesn't move. The disk drive plate raises to engage the friction disk but it acts like the friction disk/drive shaft are seized up and the disk drive plate stops turning. I tried different forward speeds - no change. I tried to lightly engage the traction drive lever - no change.

Any words of wisdom? I can't figure out why the friction disk/drive shaft are turning only in one direction.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 11-12-2018, 10:38 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 4
Likes (Given): 16
Likes (Received): 10
There is a key/keyway that the friction disc fits over on the shaft.. did that get lost? also on my TRACPLUS 10/32 I found the nut (5/8 I believe.... they say 3/8 here but that must be the shaft size) that holds the friction disc onto that shaft kept loosening up...so I cleaned the threads with brake cleaner then put some blue loctite on the nut which I also substituted a nylon locking nut for...seems to be holding up..at least for me.. also there is a spacer washer between the fiction disk and left side..whatever thats called.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hex shaft.PNG
Views:	23
Size:	148.4 KB
ID:	148391   Click image for larger version

Name:	serv.PNG
Views:	36
Size:	198.2 KB
ID:	148393  

Last edited by kenora; 11-12-2018 at 10:53 AM.
post #3 of 4 Old 12-12-2018, 07:52 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 1
I figured it out. Three issues.

One, the bearings for the drive disk were completely shot. The new, larger friction disk was pressing down on the drive disk more and causing it to **** more and bind.

Second, the drive belt was stretched couldn’t get enough tension.

Three, I had the tensioner for the drive belt oriented wrong. I didn’t notice it was wrong until the new, non-stretched belt wouldn’t fit with the tensioner where I had it. The manual didn’t show the toting of the drive belt very clearly but I figured it out.

Runs like a champ now.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Kiss4aFrog liked this post
post #4 of 4 Old 12-12-2018, 11:16 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 509
Thanks (Received): 680
Likes (Given): 3832
Likes (Received): 1474
Garage
to SBF jrcagle

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page