LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 11-13-2018, 11:50 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 1
Control cable lube??

I've got an Ariens Deluxe 30 and really enjoy running the machine. Except when the control cable for the chute tilt mechanism freezes up and prevents the tilt function from working. This obviously results in a less than optimal single tilt position for the duration of a session, or longer, depending on whether we are fortunate enough to have a thaw before the next storm.

My question is if anyone has tried experimenting with charging the cable sleeve with lubricant (probably lithium grease) to prevent the cable from freezing up? Or are there alternative approaches anyone has used for this issue?

Thanks,
Ed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 11-14-2018, 12:07 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 6
Thanks (Received): 26
Likes (Given): 5
Likes (Received): 50
Grease is never a Bad Idea on control cables. Figure a way to keep water from getting in if you can. Bicycle brakes use a cable gaiter to keep dirt out of brake and shift cables, for instance. Fit one on the top end where water might be getting in, and you'll likely solve the symptom.

Spend a few minutes adjusting the pressure on the chute pivot too. On mine, there's a bracket that holds the upper pivot point for the chute. There should be a -slight- amount of vertical movement available at the chute before it is constrained by that bracket. I added a couple spacer washers to unload that pivot and unload the joint between the chute and the bucket nozzle some. I also added some of that grease to the sliding "bearing" the chute sits on. Now it moves almost too freely.

New Husqy ST227P for 2014-15 snow season.

I love my snowblower. Every beat of it's little heart is one mine won't have to take.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks edleit thanked for this post
post #3 of 16 Old 11-14-2018, 08:33 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 19
Thanks (Received): 47
Likes (Given): 102
Likes (Received): 217
squirt antifreeze into cable with a syringe. Lubricates and prevents freezing.
Thanks edleit thanked for this post
post #4 of 16 Old 11-14-2018, 08:37 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 20
Thanks (Received): 25
Likes (Given): 39
Likes (Received): 124
Edleit:

A few years back, before I became a member here, I ran across a post that discussed this very problem you describe. Some wise poster mentioned the product "Fluid Film" which, even though I had been a shade tree mechanic for nearly 50 years I had never heard of.

Long story short, each year before the snow flies, I take my chute control cable off and let it hang straight, while I blow compressed air through it. I also leave it in a warm environment for a few days to make sure that most of the residual moisture that might be captive inside is gone. Then, I load that sucker up with FF until it runs out the bottom. (also be sure to move the cable back and forth in its sheath so you spread the lubricant around). Hopefully, any water left in the cable is displaced at that point.

I haven't had a freeze up ever since, and I used to get lots of them. Which as I'm sure you know is a colossal PITA when you're out trying to clean up after a big storm.

One trick I used to use (and I don't know if this is a typical solution), when I used to get a cable freeze up, was to take a dish towel, thoroughly wet it, wring it out, and place it folded up in the microwave for a minute or two on "high". I would get it hot enough that you'd need your gloves to pick it up, and could see plenty of water vapor coming off of it. Then I quickly took the towel out to the blower and wrapped it around the lowest portion of the cable where the water would logically collect, then worked the control handle. Usually, it worked on the first try, and I would periodically keep moving the cable as I went back to clearing, and usually it didn't re-freeze. Mind you, this wasn't under conditions where it was 10 below like some of the good folks here routinely experience.

Give the Fluid Film a shot. It'll probably work for you too!

If you're looking for guarantees in life, buy yourself a toaster.
--- Clint Eastwood
Post Thanks / Like - 3 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks orangputeh, edleit, itscold thanked for this post
Likes itscold liked this post
post #5 of 16 Old 11-14-2018, 10:48 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 4
Likes (Given): 3
Likes (Received): 9
Fluid film is also a good lubricant to spray in the bucket and chute. I give my machine a liberal spray with it before storing in the spring, and then again when I get it ready for service.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
post #6 of 16 Old 11-15-2018, 12:00 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks for all the interesting suggestions and solutions. With our first snow due tomorrow, I may have waited too long to ask.

With a bit of luck, I'll be able to implement one of these approaches before the hard freeze and flakes really make their presence felt!

@SayItAintSnow: That microwave towel trick is something I'll surely try if I end up with a frozen cable.

Ed in CT
Ariens Deluxe 30 w/LED floods!
post #7 of 16 Old 11-15-2018, 02:16 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 18
Thanks (Received): 36
Likes (Given): 57
Likes (Received): 84
Well seeing how your looking for a quick fix before a snow/ice event, try WD-40, using the straw to shoot inside the cable sheath. I load it up from both ends of the cable. It is by design, a Water Displacement agent and light lubricant. Give it a quick shot after the storm too..... That should keep the cables from freezing up, quickly and easily.

GLuck, Jay
Thanks cranman thanked for this post
post #8 of 16 Old 11-15-2018, 09:12 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 21
Thanks (Received): 5
Likes (Received): 16
A hair dryer will thaw a frozen cable. Point it toward the low spot in the cable. It works for me!
post #9 of 16 Old 01-31-2019, 04:14 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Likes (Given): 1
This is the same problem I have with my Craftsman Model 247.88790 9HP machine. I tried to lube the cables, however, I cannot seem to get the access needed to get the lube between the cable and its sheath. Any thoughts on how to access the area to insert the lube tip?
post #10 of 16 Old 01-31-2019, 04:27 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 19
Thanks (Received): 47
Likes (Given): 102
Likes (Received): 217
Fill an inkjet refill syringe with diluted antifreeze. Squirt into cable. Move the cable with lever. Repeat as required. Pretty simple and cheap.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	syringe.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	152711  
Post Thanks / Like - 2 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks RedOctobyr, itscold thanked for this post
Likes RedOctobyr liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page