Fuel cleaner treatment needed? - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 11-14-2018, 08:39 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: CT
Posts: 2
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Fuel cleaner treatment needed?

I have a Toro 928OE that I just took out of the shed in preparation for our first storm. I opened the gas tank and I had a little gas from last season. I canít remember if I used a stabilizer or not. I was probably only a few ounces in the tank. It took a few pulls to get started, but it did start and I let it run until the gas ran out. When I put in fresh gas should I put in fuel stabilizer and a fuel cleaner like Sea Foam or just leave it as is since it did start? I may have had stabilizer in it but I canít be sure. Any advice is appreciated.

-Newbie
Christopher Prisco is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 16 Old 11-14-2018, 08:47 PM
Senior Member
 
Motor City's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: SE Michigan
Posts: 656
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 48
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 51
Couldn't hurt to run a few tanks of Sea Foam. You got lucky, with not having a problem.




Ariens ST11528LE
Honda HS720
Motor City is online now  
post #3 of 16 Old 11-14-2018, 09:07 PM
AL-
Senior Member
 
AL-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Vermont/Quebec border
Posts: 349
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 7
Thanks (Received): 10
Likes (Given): 4
Likes (Received): 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Prisco View Post
I have a Toro 928OE that I just took out of the shed in preparation for our first storm. I opened the gas tank and I had a little gas from last season. I canít remember if I used a stabilizer or not. I was probably only a few ounces in the tank. It took a few pulls to get started, but it did start and I let it run until the gas ran out. When I put in fresh gas should I put in fuel stabilizer and a fuel cleaner like Sea Foam or just leave it as is since it did start? I may have had stabilizer in it but I canít be sure. Any advice is appreciated.

-Newbie
I use Startron to clean the fuel all the time and Heet to remove any possible water from condensation, etc. at least once during the season. I ve taken the alum bowl of carbs and found a little water there. I burn ethanol free gas..
AL- is offline  
post #4 of 16 Old 11-15-2018, 01:31 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: CT
Posts: 2
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motor City View Post
Couldn't hurt to run a few tanks of Sea Foam. You got lucky, with not having a problem.
Yeah which makes me think I put stabilizer in it, but Iíll use seafoam anyway. Thanks
Christopher Prisco is offline  
post #5 of 16 Old 11-15-2018, 03:23 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: bolton, ont(north of toronto)
Posts: 782
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 56
Thanks (Received): 62
Likes (Given): 51
Likes (Received): 148
if it starts and runs good why worry, fuel is a good cleaning solvent as is, use the higher octane imo, money better spent.

Bought a dead but now fixed 1980ish craftsman II 10/28....ITS ONE HEAVY BEAST

MY VIDS ON FIXIN HER UP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

vinnycom is offline  
post #6 of 16 Old 11-15-2018, 07:19 AM
Senior Member
 
GeekOnTheHill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Delaware County, New York
Posts: 116
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 11
Thanks (Received): 9
Likes (Given): 53
Likes (Received): 32
It certainly wouldn't hurt to run some Seafoam or another good fuel cleaner through the system, but if the fuel you're using now has already been stabilized, then it's probably not necessary. Most fuel stabilizers are decent fuel system cleaners in their own right.

That's one reason I stabilize fuel at the station when I pump it. The other is that I never have to worry about whether the fuel has been stabilized.

Richard
GeekOnTheHill is offline  
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes orangputeh liked this post
post #7 of 16 Old 11-15-2018, 09:55 AM
Senior Member
 
orangputeh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: lake tahoe
Posts: 3,741
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 678
Thanks (Received): 179
Likes (Given): 1087
Likes (Received): 1105
Garage
I agree with the others for running a little stabilizer and /or Seafoam in tank.

not mentioned. can you get Ethanol Free gasoline ? It's the ethanol and old gas that causes most of these "no start, hard start , rough running" issues.

"It Feels Like Beer O'Clock "
orangputeh is online now  
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes GeekOnTheHill liked this post
post #8 of 16 Old 11-15-2018, 10:07 AM
Senior Member
 
GeekOnTheHill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Delaware County, New York
Posts: 116
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 11
Thanks (Received): 9
Likes (Given): 53
Likes (Received): 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangputeh View Post
I agree with the others for running a little stabilizer and /or Seafoam in tank.

not mentioned. can you get Ethanol Free gasoline ? It's the ethanol and old gas that causes most of these "no start, hard start , rough running" issues.
This site is one of the ones that ultralight and experimental aircraft pilots, as well as people who drive classic cars, use to find corn-free gas:

https://www.pure-gas.org/

Other than the fact that the maps don't seem to be working correctly at the moment, it's a pretty good source. It's not always up-to-date, however; so before making a long trip to buy ethanol-free gas, I always make a phone call to make sure the station still carries it and has it in stock.

Richard
GeekOnTheHill is offline  
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks orangputeh thanked for this post
Likes orangputeh liked this post
post #9 of 16 Old 11-15-2018, 12:42 PM
Super Moderator
 
Kiss4aFrog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Hudson, WI
Posts: 9,145
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 511
Thanks (Received): 682
Likes (Given): 3849
Likes (Received): 1479
Garage
to SBF Christopher

If I'm going to store something and it has a plastic fuel tank I drain the tank and run the carb dry. If it's metal like a Honda I shut off the fuel valve, fill it with treated fuel and then run the carb dry.
I use Marine Sta-Bil for the summer stuff in winter and the winter stuff in summer. It's a few bucks more than regular Sta-Bil but does a better job of protecting against moisture.
Adding a measured amount of fuel cleaner once in a while is never a bad idea IMHO. My favorite is Lucas (Walmart, box stores, auto parts), second would be Chevron Techron. I treat my cars too so I get the Quart size, more economical.

.


.
Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Kiss4aFrog is offline  
post #10 of 16 Old 11-15-2018, 02:34 PM
Senior Member
 
JLawrence08648's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Lawrenceville NJ
Posts: 2,143
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 89
Thanks (Received): 178
Likes (Given): 69
Likes (Received): 409
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiss4aFrog View Post
to SBF Christopher

If I'm going to store something and it has a plastic fuel tank I drain the tank and run the carb dry. If it's metal like a Honda I shut off the fuel valve, fill it with treated fuel and then run the carb dry.
I use Marine Sta-Bil for the summer stuff in winter and the winter stuff in summer. It's a few bucks more than regular Sta-Bil but does a better job of protecting against moisture.
Adding a measured amount of fuel cleaner once in a while is never a bad idea IMHO. My favorite is Lucas (Walmart, box stores, auto parts), second would be Chevron Techron. I treat my cars too so I get the Quart size, more economical.

.

I bought the gallon of Lucas, $25, even more economical.

I put Stabil in all year round.

1986 Ariens ST522, 5hp, 22"
1995 Murray Craftsman 10hp, 29" w. 12" impeller
A 1983 Real John Deere 10hp, 32" w. 12" impeller, 16" auger, 20" high front, cast iron gear box, chains
Noma 9hp, 27" w. 12" impeller
Noma 5hp, 24" w. 12" impeller, 20" high front
Gravely Convertible, 12hp Kohler cast iron, 26" width, 600 lbs of cast iron & steel, 2 speed impeller, 4 ground speeds
Dynamark 8hp, 26", 12" impeller, for sale
Several other 5hp, 8hp, several 2 cycle, all for sale
JLawrence08648 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome